EU Suggests standard mobile charging port...Apple responds that it will cause more wste

You make several good points. Honestly, I know we all like fast charging, but at 10w (where I think wireless will standardize eventually) the charge is fast enough. With bigger batteries and more efficient OS, I think we’re all likely to be able to charge at this rate without much inconvenience.

The inefficiency is troubling though, that’s a lot of power to lose over the lifetime of a phone. I can only guess they will adopt a new wireless standard before going all in on wireless.

3 Likes

Thats a very good statement!
Hope it will be adopted.
Thank you for telling here.!

May be companies need to focus more on battery technology than the ports… Wireless charging coupled with faster charging / more efficient batteries are the key to go completely port-less.

Have been reading more and more about advancements in battery technology, size getting shrinked while providing same level of power.

Have you read about what a fight is starting now between VARTA
and chinese battery manufacturers “copying” techniques without having any patents!

Wow I had not seen this:

Good to see that Anker is not on that list. That’s one thing about Anker that I really like - they are innovators of their own products, making improvements on their own research and leading the industry rather than copying others.

That article led me to another interesting question - are VARTA batteries in the liberty series or has anker made their own TWS batteries? Does anyone know?

3 Likes

@Chiquinho asked this question before and @AnkerOfficial or somebody else on Soundcore forum confirmed it’s not Varta

But the answer said only there are “different suppliers”.

So not made by in house, probably.

Both! It seems like people love them or hate them.

1 Like

There has already been movement from Apple to move away from the Lightning port, in the iPad Pro, and there are rumors that the 2021 iPhones will ditch the port, too - albeit it seems they’ll ditch it for no ports at all. In any case, there are several flaws in Apple’s argument:

1- Their insistence in keeping their own proprietary port is one of the big reasons any waste will happen in the first place.
2- Every time a port changes, there’s waste. We should be better at recycling them, specially the rare metals in them. USB-C is not the ultimate port to kill everything else. Give it a decade, something newer and better will replace it.

It a great discussion, but I only see Apple trying to hold their ground on baseless arguments.

1 Like