Coming Soon: PowerCore III Elite 26800 100W

Anker is developing its first portable charger with dual USB-C ports… Take a look at PowerCore III Elite 26800 100W!

Details are currently unavailable, but it seems possible that the dimensions are identical to PowerCore III Elite 25600 60W. Stay tuned for additional information as the release nears.

Have you been waiting for Anker to develop a portable charger with dual USB-C ports? Be sure to let us know with a reply!
11 Likes

Props to @professor for predicting this product a couple months ago:

1 Like

I wonder what the price will be :thinking:

1 Like

That’s is a BEAST!

1 Like

Cool.

I wish Anker would share more with us. I wish Anker would ask us more questions, sound us out if there are choices. Pity they don’t. As that means I’m left guessing.

So I’m studying electronics (just for hobby) and looking exactly how these DC-DC converters work. It does make sense for Anker to make these larger higher Wattage to be IQ3 rather than PD as there is an electronics within the PD standard, a killer weakness particularly for multiple PD ports.

The good news is there is no inherent cost penalty for higher Wattage. It costs the same to make 100W as 60W. The bad news is there is always a degree of inefficiency (about 96% efficient) so 100W makes 4W of heat, vs 60W makes 3W of heat, so 1W more heat. That can be addressed at low cost by larger heatsinks, and by a more metallic casing to conduct heat wider. So let’s say there’s $5 more in heat dissipation for 100W vs 60W.

i.e. An 100W wall charger (not portable charger) has no legitimate need to cost more than $5 more than a 60W wall charger. If it priced more than that, it’s because the consumers are allowing it by paying more than $5 more for 100W.

The bad news in Power Delivery is you must support all the modes. That causes an issue in portable chargers with PD. The cells are wired in series or parallel to get to a given Voltage. The input voltage to the electronics becomes a decision and physically fixed. The diodes selected in the electronics have an optimised Voltage they run at, so you must decide the optimal voltage. If you make anything 60W or higher it must be 20V. If you tune it for 20V, you may be able to get 15V efficient, but the 9V and 5V become less efficient.

So to make this dual A dual C charger, if you were purely PD then you’d have to allow each port to have potentially a different voltage, one say 5V, another say 9V, another 15V, another 20V. That means the electronics have most of the Wattage running at less efficient voltages - more heat. More heat = more cost in heat dissipation. Or, you must run at less total Wattage, so 100W max becomes say 60W max if all ports used and all allowed to be different Voltages.

However if you make these IQ2 and IQ3 ports, you can relax from PD and NOT support all voltages, or NOT support certain combinations of Voltages.

For example, under PD, everything 60W-100W must be 20V. If you were to split and use both PD ports, so each is say 45W. 45W is allowed to be under PD either 3A 15V or 2.25A 20V. But it’s inefficient (heat) to allow one port to be 15V and the other 20V, so with IQ3 (approximate PD) if both IQ3 ports are used, and each wants 45W, they must both be the same voltage (say both must be 20V).

There is a risk that some devices don’t like it.

Power Delivery is not designed to be electronic efficient for portable chargers with multiple USB-C ports is what I’m saying, we the consumers must either pay $$$ extra to compensate, or allow some tolerance, flexibility that certain combinations of devices in a multi-port portable charger will not function.

So that is the debate, I’d like Anker to have with this community, there are choices to be made between cost and interoperability.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity but what materials are you using to learn about electronics for your hobby?

1 Like

Ha! @professor bringing the insight! What a battery, though. That’s an amazing amount of horsepower in such a small package.

1 Like

From engineering perspective, it would be match consumer demands better if this is 100W max output combined, rather than 100W max from one port. There is not a portable device which can consume 100W.

I wonder if it’s therefore 100W max across all ports but, say, 65W max from one of the C ports.

If it’s 100W from one port, I’m scratching my head why, who’d buy it. Who has a portable device which needs 100W. So I’m skeptical there. More believable to be say 65W input/output from one port, two C ports say 45W each with 10W shared across two A ports for combined max a little less than 100W. As you’d be output 20V and 5V/9V across two ports type, the heat caused by two conversions means all four ports must be less than 100W total.

So (if I were the engineer inside Anker) I’d have it do:

• one port, 65W max one port, the other PD port can’t be used and the two A ports share 24W (total 89W).
  • both PD ports, each 45W. Other ports share 10W (total 100W)
  • use none of the C ports, each A port is 18W max 36W

I think this is why the ports are IQ3 and IQ2 as what I am describing is not strictly Power Delivery. But I doubt any device exists which would not work as if you drop the lower Voltage 15V you lose a device wanting 45W 15V and I think all devices accepting 45W will want 60W so 20V, not 15V so everything I know of should work.

2 Likes

Oh 100w from a single port is unnecessary. I doubt they would build that in for any reason other than to show off.

2 Likes

“MachoWatts”

Agree, makes no sense to have a single 100W, more useful is 100W total in a split TBA. I know the least diversity in Voltage the more total Watts but without a laboratory to test in, I can only guess.

1 Like

This is cool! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

YouTube mostly and where that doesn’t explain then some technical papers.

The tricky part is when you don’t fully understand something, then have to pause a course and go find the answer elsewhere then resume.

For example I know what an inductor is, and can calculate the conversion, but never really understood how it worked, so then I had to get into Maxwell’s equations, but then got stuck at what causes Lenz’s law, so had to get into Quantum mechanics which took me 2 months, so then could resume understanding induction.

If I were doing a classroom course I could just raise my hand and follow-up with the lecturer after if it’s not a quick answer.

Understanding is a double edged sword, on the one hand I can appreciate some of the challenges Anker has to meet a customer demand, on the other hand I know something is easy and baffled why Anker hasn’t done it yet.

1 Like

Do you want me to compute the next set of chargers, their cost and size?
It’s going to be a couple of hours in spreadsheet.

2 Likes

How do you change the font color?

Like this

Easy
Or
Or this
Screenshot_20200708-204528

Then there’s
Strike through
Screenshot_20200708-204747

Not everything works

3 Likes

ANKER :exploding_head:

Horizontal rule works!
1 Like

Anker

2 Likes

HTML is well known by old programmers! :joy:
But often they need magnifiers to decipher!
But bold is always bold :rofl:

1 Like

Wow!! this is what we all need :bowing_man:

1 Like

Any news on this since?

2 Likes