[Upcoming Release] PowerCore III 10000 Wireless

The note20 is coming out soon, what do you think of it so far?

1 Like

Fascinating conflicting thermal issues in this product type. There is nil issues with the PD wired aspects, GaN has meant 30W PD has the same heat production as pre-PD 12W. But I think this product will be 18W PD, because that then matches iPhone fastest wired. The issue is wireless, because of phone proximity and Qi eddy currents.

The more closely you place phone+pad, the more conduction of the heat from the phone to the pad, that is bad for the Lithium cells in this product. Hence why they probably have the phone held up on the two rings, to reduce conduction.

So the more they do what you ask, the worse it is.

Also, would you rather 7.5W and a lower cost or 10W and higher cost? The cost difference is not the Qi ring, its the metal to conduct away the eddy current heat made within the phone which conducts back to this product.

Eddy currents can be minimised by very intelligent phone design, so the issues will be phone specific.

If Anker wanted to innovate, they could put in a 15W Qi pad (11+5) and then use a thermal regulator, which senses the heat, and temporarily turns off the pad and re-presents at a lower Qi standard. What you’d see is a faster charging until your phone gets hot, then charging stops and then resumes at a slower rate. You’d then get a faster charge, more so for an emptier phone battery. I think that is what consumers would like.

I doubt my idea of a thermal regulator is in this product, but the 3rd generation would be logical to include.

Eddy currents:

2 Likes

May be have one more “fake ring” to prevent heat conducting and still have a notch or something to grip the phone in place for charging.

This is good for me since iPhone 11 Pro does not support 10W wireless charging.

This is good idea hope Anker @Ankerofficial is listening :ear::ear::eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

I love it @ikari04warrior
I moved from the iPhone 11 Pro. After being an Apple man since the iPhone 4 it was a big change, but one i was ready for.

1 Like

Agree!
I have the 10w charge stand and find the same @Shenoy.
A few times I’ve swiped across the screen, particularly turning the alarm off, and swiped the phone off the stand.

1 Like

Yes; my hope for ‘wireless’ charging is not having to keep a cable with me to use a battery — but I also want it to charge while it’s in my backpack or pocket. An additional means of keeping the phone aligned with the charger is the way to go! :+1:

2 Likes

hmm… nice to see the wireless option. Thanks @insider for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope the battery it’s at least 10,000mAh and it’s priced nicely.
I’ve been holding off from buying Samsung’s portable wireless charger

2 Likes

A larger cell helps with the thermal issues for any given Wattage.

A 20Ah giving out 18W is 9W per cell vs a 10Ah is 18W per cell, so the cell make less heat.

The packaging around 20Ah is bigger for more thermal heat dissipation.

I say 20Ah as that is simple observation of Anker’s common choices, but as its Lithium Poly it can be any custom size, could be 15Ah, 16Ah,…

But for sure, if they intend to up the 5W from the prior model, and add PD, then the cells have to be > 10Ah to make them “sweat” less.

2 Likes

I’ve had the Samsung 10000mah wireless Powerbank in my Amazon wishlist since Anker released theirs.
Samsung do the 15 and 25w wireless charger. I’m hoping Anker follows suit with a 15w wireless.
Looking at the scale of Ankers new model im with @professor on it being 20000mah, it looks about the same size as the 20000 PD.
I dont think 10000mah is big enough when taking into account the power wastage with wireless charging.
I’m watching with great interest and can’t wait for this to land on Amazon.co.uk!

1 Like

If it’s 20000mAh I will probably get it first time it goes on sale

2 Likes

Depends on the wireless Wattage, impacts the degree of metal cost within.

But as a best guess, $54-$58 list, the usual 18% discount gets to $44-$48 first sale price. You’d buy it?

It would be wonderful if Anker came here and asked us, gave us a choice, e.g. would we prefer 15Ah 18W 7.5AW $48 or 20Ah 18W 10W $58.

2 Likes

Yea I thought the first sale would be a bit more generous lol. Maybe I can wait a bit. I have the power bank Anker sent us so I’m not rushing for a wireless power bank.

I think I would prefer this option

2 Likes

When do you expect Anker to release one without any ports? That would allow for a more compact device.

1 Like

Definitely 20 / 18 / 10 for me.
I’m guessing (hoping) the UK price will be £40.

Portless is technically trivial, that is just doing what many devices (phones, etc) are doing now.

So they can do it whenever they want to. So the question is do they want to. My feeling is they don’t want to as its undermining the fastest possible charge mantra. So I’m not predicting it as an early product.

I also think many here would recoil against such a product. Either wireless has to be slower due to the thermal issues, or more costly due to the necessary workarounds for the thermal issues.
Add: fans, heat pipes, more use of metal away from the coil to conduct, less use of metal near the coil to reduce eddy currents.

A $1000 phone can add a modest % to total price, and add bragging rights. A $30 portable charger, harder to hide the cost, wouldn’t be surprised if doubled the components cost.

I don’t think portless would be smaller, the hardware you need to add to compensate for wireless is larger than the port.

The popularity of portless phones will drive the argument for portless portable chargers, and that is yet to be market tested directly. We already see proof for phones that portless is viable, folks already are getting by for months without plugging in a cable to their phone, but when asked they want wired as their fallback.

1 Like

I was thinking of having some on the bottom side similar to the PowerWave Base Pad. I love that where it doesn’t move. I understand what you are saying though about having also something on the top side to prevent it from slipping off.

Interesting engineering problem. The more speed we want the more you have to make it a flat metal slab underneath to conduct heat into the ground and the more you need a raised ring above to let air flow.

Most of the heat is going to come from the phone so you need the least contact there, any which does come from within the Powercore needs to be conducted away via conduction, convection, radiation which means a metal slab.

You can of course make a more contact non-slip top and bottom but that means must necessarily be a lower Wattage. Imagine all the prototypes of the various compromises and you could play with them all. “Here’s the 15W version… but it’s a slippy underneath…”.

1 Like

So you mean to wirelessly charge the wireless PowerCore too?
I’d be happy with port-less, 99% of my PowerCore use is with my phone.
I’m not sure if that would effect Ankers bottom line though, may reduce cable sales a touch.

2 Likes

Cable sales.

The argument for wireless to phone is strong as you connect phone often and it’s a frequent wear location, the phone moved while connected, and the convenience benefits. I agree the argument for a reliable cable to the phone is undermined by wireless to the phone.

Fully portless Powercore, I don’t see it harming cable sales as that’s a more static situation, the Powercore is plugged in less often and not moved while connected.

I’m also not sure if Anker has a point of view, they make a wide variety of products and it’s the the consumers who steer Anker via what is selling better?

2 Likes