Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-end phones by 2021?

Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-end phones by 2021, top analyst predicts

Apple could ditch the Lightning connector on the highest-end versions of the iPhone in 2021, meaning the devices will require wireless charging, according to a report

What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Based on USB-C being touted for the iPhone for the past two versions (though not appearing) and their ‘brave’ stance on removing the headphone jack…I wouldn’t be overly surprised but in the same light I’ll treat this prediction with a grain of salt until the end of 2020 when leaks start :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think a fully wireless charging phone is the way to forward yet since there are many drawbacks of using wireless charging (atm) like slower charging, less efficient charging compared to wired and also if they include no ports on the phone you will no longer be able to use your phone while charging unless on the pad :cry:.

3 Likes

I’m up for that.
All my iPhone charging is wireless anyway.

1 Like

Will have lot of repercussions across the market, I would really love to see such a phone… :ok_hand:t2:

No Iphone, no problems!:rofl:

1 Like

like this? image

1 Like

That would be a seriously dumb thing to do. The nice part of wireless charging is 2 points of failure in a device. You have the ability to troubleshoot your own phone in order to ensure the charging issue isnt the device itself. Security wise, that hardlink you have to backup data and run updates is essential for a lot of people that are heavy apple supporters. It would really be shooting themselves in the foot, much much worse than pulling the earphone jack.

2 Likes

You might not believe I have NO!!! even such an antique one.
My wife got a brand new one (USB-C etc.)
If there are calls to be made in vacations she hands it over to me! :rofl:

And here at home we have a fixed network by telekom which we use for internet also.
May be in the far, far future we will get glass fibre connection here .
Some part of the city got, not we.

Such a bull … here in Munich : an unimportant tiny, lousy city here I Germany.
But I will not talk about, I have to care about my blood pressure!
politics!

2 Likes

This would be one way to drive up sales for all of the wireless charging/accessories that would by forced upon people to switch to. I can see it happening because most people are not buying new phones every year so Apple has to come up with others ways to supplement cash flow.

1 Like

Seeing as how I do wireless charging, I guess this is okay. However, I do have some headphones I love that are wired. So, I am kind of on the fence with this.

1 Like

Certainly an interesting concept. They better include AirPods in the box If they do this.

1 Like

I was going to share this earlier but didnt have the time.

Its interesting. That means they will have to include a wireless charging pad and maybe the airpods. This will raise the price even more.

I think they need to do USB-c so users can still access their files or they need to work on speeding up wireless file transfer

1 Like

Apple will keep only the top tier product completely Portless , and that price, throw a Airpod and Wireless charging pad for $1300+ it’s not a big deal… and there are buyers.

They will test the market and then plan for Lightning to USB-C / complete portless series of iPhones.

Also may include some restrictions for high speed Charging… to extract more money from other Giants like Anker

Probably proprietary wireless technology/standard that is good for data transfer and charging. Apple will forget Qi since they can make money on licensing :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

And lose their dongle revenue? The audio jack was removed for water resistance and additional space for the lower speaker. This time there’s no upside, but if anyone can sell the removal of features as cool, it’s Apple.

1 Like

It’s one of those rumors that I’ll believe when I see it. That being said, I’m an iPhone + Windows laptop guy, so I still use iTunes to organize & sync my music library and to back-up my phone, so if they get rid of the plug, I may have to finally move in to the 21st century as far as all of that is concerned.

1 Like

I feel like better water proofing is pretty obvious. With no ports you should be able to keep it in 15m of water indefinitely like many watches.

2 Likes

Indeed!
Although my iPhone is 4mtr waterproof, but I still avoid fluids at all costs :joy:

1 Like

Connectivity can still be important for recovery. I’m sure they have repair tools that require a physical connection of some sort. I don’t see the plug going away any time soon.

I think it is far more likely they move to USB-C and give up on the proprietary cable nonsense.