Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-end phones by 2021?

Apple is already doing it with Apple Watch with complete wirless, so just matter of time… I use the wires only and only while I am on commute.

This also brings back old question which keeps coming back… Powerbanks with Wireless charging. Hope Anker @AnkerOfficial does this Sooner than later and capture the market

1 Like

Then you need a power bank that can also hold the phone in place, like a magnet or grip. Otherwise it becomes hard to keep it charging when on the go.

The power loss charging with a battery also matters more, much less efficient wirelessly so you get fewer charges.

I still remember macs before USB was a standard, and it was a real pain to get compatible peripherals. But when they jumped on USB, they did it thoroughly. We’ll see how they manage this transition - I think we can all agree that the lightning cable made sense for the time, but much less now.

1 Like

Yeah, before USB-C was a thing lightning was a logical decision. Apple should have switched as soon as USB-C was released

1 Like

But then, Apple cannot make any money out of licensing and royalty with usb-c

People say that, but Apple still could. They could require the same MFI certification just for USB-C cables.

1 Like

This is going to upset a lot of people and will mess up the whole USB-C market…

Wouldn’t it sound crazy if the cables read “USB-C” Cables for iPhones and again second set of cables like USB-C cables for Smartphones :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Doesn’t it sound like Apple though lol

Unless there’s a massive change to the infrastructure where wireless charging devices are located in bars/restaurants/transport etc or the implementation of li-fi charging globally I can’t see them want to remove the cable (lightning or future edition)

That’s just the thing. If Apple changes something, everyone else will change to meet them.

I still maintain that I think it will be a proprietary wireless charging. It won’t even be possible to use Qi

Apples claim to get rid of the headphone jack for waterproofing is stupid. Samsung phones have headphone Jack’s and still maintain ipx 68 rating, so that was a moot point.

The waterproofing that Samsung phones have, and being able to dive with the phone are two completely different things. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t approve of removing it the port (yet). The world isn’t there

I’ve seen some wireless charging power banks have suction cups to hold the phone :joy:

Yeah, this is the MAIN reason why this won’t happen anytime soon.

The ports will disappear when: (A) Wireless charging over distance (like 30 feet) becomes reality. Then your phone can charge anywhere inside your house or office or bus or train. Or, (B) When wireless charging on a charging pad becomes near instant (like 30 seconds to go from 0% to 100%). I don’t see either happening anytime soon.

Unless they can figure out some sort of wireless super charge, don’t see how this would be efficient

More and more content showing this may become true

O2 (crap network) do this for certain phone models.

On the basis… We all have too many chargers laying around. Trouble is, new.phones need better chargers, than the old ones we have laying around. So it’s not saving anything, as you’ll need to buy one anyways, as your old one won’t charge the new phone! lol

They still don’t get it.

1 Like

I really hope they don’t but knowing Apple they might. Can’t imagine changing everything from the house to car to work for wireless charging. That and if the coil goes bad your really screw

I have never seen a wireless charging coil go bad, and I have been using them for a while now.

2 Likes
1 Like

Music to my ears, look forward to getting it in 2 years (under contract for iPhone 11 Pro :grimacing: ) hopefully…

1 Like