____Anker/Soundcore/eufy/Nebula Instead | Fill in the Blank to Win a Prize!

I love this one @CreativeCucumber very creative… Is that cable still working :grin::sweat_smile:

This one is great! :joy::joy:

Thanks, @Shenoy! I’ll be honest I was slightly worried, but the cable is still going strong with minimal damage.

Did you measure the Ohm resistance before and after. It only works because Anker uses VoltageBoost to offset the years of aging you just did to the cable. Correct, Anker is making the cable still work.

Inside the cable is copper, a metal, the electrons are hopping between copper atoms who have a conductance band. The copper atoms are close together so the energy to hop is low. If you hang yourself from the Powerline, then the copper atoms get stretched further apart and the conductance drops. The cable still works but the energy required put into the cable increases, the resistance. The net result is you have to put in more energy into the cable, and so instead of getting say 9 Volts out, you get 8.5 Volts out.

Correct, Anker cables are strong, but still means you’re making the cable worse by pulling on it.

3 Likes

Hopefully it’s a lifetime warranty cable…l however I don’t know if this would still be covered :thinking:

1 Like

If the warranty checks are as good as the We Love Testing checks, then perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Original challenge :smile: Too bad I can’t participate again from Belgium… :frowning:

Dead? Anker instead

this seems like a really nice giveaway! Love the idea. Happy to see that it isnt based solely off of likes but that they still play a factor so the community has a voice as well but also has the admins pick to prevent people from coming and spamming and then never showing up again. Personally I love the juggling one! I think its so cool!

1 Like

Man, looks like I learned something today! I’ve never heard of VoltageBoost. Now I’m wishing that I had tested before and after. :sweat_smile: I tried testing an identical Powerline+ cable against the red one and their voltage appeared to be the same at 7.5 Volts. (I’m not sure how to measure Ohms but I could probably figure it out. Either way, I kinda expected the cable to have some wear. :+1:)

It’s a whole topic in itself. Ohm’s is more of a definition. As Volts goes up, that drives current up. The ratio is defined as resistance , so R = V / I. The worse the cable the less the current goes up as the voltage goes up.

The voltage drops through a cable from the end near your charger to the opposite end near your device. In general the drop goes up with cable length, and up with thinner cables and up with bad cables. Anker makes good cables. A Voltage of 7.5V is a very odd one, common are 5,9,12,15,20. A drop of around 0.5V is not bad but if say 9V goes in and 7.5V comes out then lost 1.5V is a bad cable.

Warranty is for reasonable use. Your photo invalidate your warranty.

Voltage boost does not work with all USB protocol, but what it does is slightly increase the Voltage and see if the current goes up, if it does then means the cable has taken energy away the device needs. It’s usually small change like give 5.2V instead of 5V.

Cable losses are assumed and factored in normally. 5V in but 4.4V out is a common assumption, so around 0.5V loss, but 1.5V is a bad sign.

To calculate Power lost in cable place Voltmeter at the end near the charger, and then again at other end (ideally own two Voltmeter) and measure the Volts (V) and Amps (I) drawn. Resistance ® is then the voltage difference V / I. e.g. 9V in, 7.5V out , 2A , 1.5V / 2 = 0.75 Ohms. Then the as greater voltage drop then causes a greater current drop, then Power lost § = I squared x R, so in this example 2A x 2A x 0.75 Ohms = 3Watts lost. If you had say a 18W charger then 3W of the 18W is lost as hear in the cable and the device got 15W. As Power (P, in Watts) is also I x V , for any given Wattage (W) a higher Voltage is also a lower current ( P = I x V, so e.g. double V, half I). As P = I squared x R, means if you use a higher voltage, then you lose less power in the cable. That is why the electricity system is high voltage until it is near humans then drops to low voltage. This means at the point a human is touching the cable (USB cable) you’re seeing low voltage like 9V, but the current is then higher, so you need much more better cables for USB cables. Hence why Anker Powerline.

Wow, I am quite impressed by your vast amount of knowledge, and tbh I only understand about half of it! Yeah, if the warranty was active before this test it certainly isn’t now! :laughing:

1 Like

It might hurt your business model a bit now that I know I can just grow them myself

Drink Anker Instead

2 Likes

Collect Anker/eufy/Soundcore/Nebula/Roav Instead!

Unfortunately, this isn’t my whole collection :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Lol : @gobran.andrew :+1: Wonder if you have ever counted how many Anker things you have so far :laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

5 Likes

I think this may be an idea for another Grand Event / Contest :+1:

Biggest Anker (& sister company) Fan

and… Also, Anker Gallery may be on the way… :wink:

2 Likes

Haha, good idea :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Ooo an Anker gallery would be nice!