Anker Soundcore Boost Review

I recently won an Anker Soundcore Boost through the powerdraw. If Anker is nice enough to give stuff away every week I can make the time to leave a review of it if I win, so this will be my review of the speaker.

The speaker comes with a manual, a happy/not happy card, and a 2 foot micro-usb charging cable.

The Anker Soundcore Boost is quite the device, although it has some age to it the Boost holds it’s own against speakers of it’s size when it comes to sound. The highs are clear and well represented for a speaker of this size, not harsh and not to weak. They could benefit from a slight boost however. Mids are probably the weakest point of this speaker. The mids are slightly pushed back and a little muddy, but it would be fine for most people. The bass is where this speaker shines however, before using bass up the bass is strong and punchy with good depth. But the bass up takes it to a whole different level, it easily beats the competition of it’s time in terms of bass and even some of today. I do feel that the mids get a little more muddy when you use bass up, but once again, most people won’t notice. To top it off I was able to get a stable straight line of sight connection at 302 feet. But in real world use I was only able to achieve about 35 feet through 3 walls.

The top of the speaker has all of your buttons as well as a 4 bar battery indicator to the left of the speaker and an NFC tag to the right that I was unable to test. The buttons from left to right are power, volume-, play/pause, voume+ and bass up. The power button turns the speaker on or off with a single press, but if you hold it while the device is on it will send it into pairing mode after about 3 seconds. The volume buttons will change the volume with either a short press or holding them down. The play/pause button will pause or play with a single press, if you press it twice you can go to the next track but there is no way to go to the previous track. Holding the play/pause button for about 2 seconds will invoke your assistant, I tested this and it works well. Bass up will enhance the bass of your music with a single press to turn it on or off.

The Soundcore boost has a 5200 mah battery in it that Anker claims will support up to 12 hours playback. I was able to achieve just at 5 hours at max volume with bass up enabled, so I have no problem believing that. The 5200 mah battery will need charging though and I found that it could fully charge from a dead battery in right at 3 hours 40 minutes, not bad for what you get. The ports on this device consist of a micro-usb input for charging, a 3.5 auxiliary for wired playback, and a usb-a output for charging your devices. The usb-a port supports Anker IQ charging which ensures that your devices get the right amount of power, no more, no less. There is no fast charging but it was able to charge a phone with a 2600 mah battery from dead in 2 hours 50 minutes with 2 bars remaning on the Boost.

The speaker is durable, it can take a few hits without stopping and it has an IPx5 that I tested quite roughly and found that it works great, I would hve liked to see IPx7 in this speaker but that is just me nitpicking. An IPx5 water resistance rating will be enough for most people.
All in all the Anker Soundcore Boost is a great speaker that I highly recommend.

I would like to thank Anker, because the first speaker I got was defective and it took them about 5 days after I contacted them to have a new one sent to me. I don’t know about everyone else here, but this is one of the biggest reasons I choose Anker, I know I can trust them.
Thanks Anker!

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing you’re thoughts! Great review!

1 Like

Thank you, it’s the first one I’ve done here.

Hope it’s not the last🤞

1 Like

Great review, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Many users forget when using “bass up function” (or increasing bass by eq)
that the mids are fading.
So these must be increased as well.

1 Like

Very true, I have my own equalizer that I use, but all of my tests were run using just the speakers eq.

1 Like

NICE. Enjoy your prize and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I did want to review the Soundcore Flare mini that I won, but it is with my sister now and I don’t think it is coming back for a review😂

1 Like

Thanks, so far I have, I haven’t even used my Select since I got the Boost.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Yes that seems to be more “honest”.
Not all users have their “special eq” as we do.:wink:

I equalize all of my speakers, not equalizing a speaker is letting someone pick something for you without even knowing what you like. I would prefer to have what I like, not what someone else likes.

1 Like

Great review and photos!

1 Like

Thanks, it took 3 days to complete just the battery tests.

Awesome review Andrew. The Boost is one of my favourite SoundCore speakers that I own.

It definitely has the looks of a premium speaker and I love the flush buttons on top of it.

1 Like

Which Anker speaker that you own is your favorite? I know the Boost is my favorite, it is awesome.

1 Like

I own the flare, and the ace a0. I prefer the flare…

1 Like

Very difficult to say.
My little one, the Icon mini was stolen by my daughter.
Arguing, that I have quite a “collection” of speakers…
Not true, but “female logic”. :joy:

Now (indoor) I use the MOTION+ and the ZERO.
Both quite perfect when adjusted by an eq.

I have the flare and it is an awesome speaker.