Anker PowerExtend 12 Review and Comparison

Finally received my Anker PowerExtend 12 after a surviving shipping purgatory. The unboxing has been covered very well in many of the other reviews but it comes in recyclable box and plastic bag to protect it during shipping. I would suggest that the plastic bag as it isn’t really necessary but it is very reminiscent of the biodegradable plastic from the super markets.

This is a side-by-side with Belkin 12-Outlet. You will see a cleaner design and smaller for my needs as I don’t require the Coax and R11 protection. The cable provided by Anker is thicker than Belkin and it even incorporates a plastic sheathing to protect against wear at the attachment point to the surge protector.

Belkin Anker
15.6 x 6.1 x 2.1 in 11.5 x 4.5 x 1.2 in
3940 Joule Dual 4000 Joule
12 surge-protected outlets 12 surge-protected outlets
8’ cord length 6’ cord length
Protected/Not Grounded indicator lights Protected/Grounded indicator lights
BlockSpace™ outlets Even more separation the BlockSpace
Tamper Resistant Plug No Tamper Resistant Plug
Cord management lifts and locks No Cable Management System
Damage-resistant housing UL-VO Flame-Retardant Casing
$300,000 Connected Equipment Warranty $300,000 connected equipment warranty
Coaxial protection No Coax protection
Phone line protection No RJ11 protection

This is the mess that I had to pull my Belkin from, don’t judge!

The Anker product is smaller in every dimension but if you look closely the separation between plugs on edges is larger and is far more useful when you have to plug large transformers in. This is very important and isn’t something that is noticed until you need that extra space. I am plugging in 2 homebase, 1 secure homebase, Netgear router, and TP-Link router transformer.

This is with space to spare. I realized after cleaning up the mess of wires that many of CAT5 cables lead nowhere and were no longer needed.

All an all the design of the surge is much more slim and with the uniform thickness throughout they were able to spread the plugs further apart and this allows for more different size plugs to be inserted. I would recommend this surge protector for home desks or a closet full of equipment but not suited for home entertainment center. I would stick with the Belkin in that case since the cable management and Coax protection would be more suited in those cases.

3 Likes

Nice job on the review and pictures!

1 Like

Oh god that’s a mess in the first photo :joy:

Btw glad you got the powerstrip! Also I see that you put 8’ as cord length but it is advertised at 6’. Is it something you measured?

Great review and photos! Enjoy buddy!

1 Like

@Steven_truong

How confident are you that your Anker and Belkin table headers are the correct way round? Should they be swapped?

2 Likes

Oh yea definitely is lol. Completely overlooked the Dual 4000 surge protection under Belkin

1 Like

Coaxial and Phone line protection?

Great job with the comparison & review.

Thanks for this awesome review!
Please don’t forget to submit your review link to the completed testing page :wink:

Very cool review, and I admire the willingness to show the cables before and after.

Looks like the new power strip will work well for you :slight_smile:

TS1

1 Like

Great write up @Steven_truong and loved the photos :+1:t2:

Great review and photos!

Suggest you correct that, the Anker is dual 4000

Your words don’t match.

1 Like

I think you are correct in your first assumption; the column headers on the table don’t match.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction incorrect headers as @professor also mentions.

2 Likes

You are correct, I inadvertently mixed the anker and belkin header and dimensions. I corrected.

2 Likes

Great comparison!!!