Working from home was definitely a hurdle for me when I first started. I tried to apply all of the in-person working strategies and ended up with poor-quality meetings that left me exhausted at the end of the day. The following really helped to improve the experience for me:
- It’s been mentioned before but getting a high-quality wireless headset improved every meeting I was part of
- Adding an HD webcam made the meetings feel more inclusive for the people on the other end
- Scheduling “No Video” time was crucial - I had been scheduling back-to-back video meetings and it left me no time to prep or regroup
- Limiting work hours on personal devices - another important boundary that I had been ignoring
- Making time to move around and hydrate
I follow all these guidelines now and I am much happier for it.