WIN 10 May update

Now need of 32GB instead of 16GB.

Who can tell me what these 32 GB are needed for?

This is the reason I use LINUX.:joy:

Maybe you need 32gb, because the new BT driver is 15gb? Maybe it’ll work now :joy:

2 Likes

May be they designed a BT-driver which will work even worse than the actual one.
So more space is needed! :joy:

1 Like

That is a great question. 16GB is rnore than enough memory but I too wonder why 32gb… puzzling! Maybe the update is aimed towards servers versus desktops/laptops…

2 Likes

I was doing no further research why these 32GB are needed.
First idea:
WIN10 can not be installed on older computers.
BUY NEW ONES! :angry:

2 Likes

Fortunately we have choices.

Typed on a Chromebook, happily running in 4GB RAM.

2 Likes

But not all “old sly foxes” :wink:

I want to guess is related to the fact that more computers now use integrated graphics cards. This graphics cards will use the PC internal RAM leaving less resources for the PC it self. Or that might be trying to create some kind of software base Optane memory. Those 2 are my main 2 guesses

1 Like

MY guess is just bloatware, more services running, each gobbling up more RAM.

Why does Windows need to bloat itself? Because it is not free. So it has to make itself go slow so you buy a new PC with a new copy of Windows to send money to Microsoft. It has to ride the curve of not-totally-awful so you don’t give up on it.

Free OS, like Linux, doesn’t need money, so its perfectly happy to be highly customised to your needs including it doing all you need for years on old hardware.

My work let me keep an old Windows 10 laptop when it fell below the minimum spec to run the current software, so I formatted the ssd and put Linux on it. I then put a VM of Windows ontop for the very rare app I may need which Windows only serves. I mostly am in Chrome. It has a fast CPU so I use it for media recoding as a server. Wake-on-Lan from my ARM based server to keep electricity costs down.

Typed on a Chromebook, 4GB RAM, its lighter and better battery life so can be unplugged a lot.

2 Likes