USB-4 unveiled by USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF)

Well Intel finally released thunderbolt port licenseing fees so itā€™s free to use by anyone now without having to it pay itā€™s royalty fee. So we may see this standard come about faster now itā€™s free to use

1 Like

Does this mean that we will see more USB type C for charging ports on electronics? I heard that the major drawback (and the reason why brands still release products that charge over micro-USB) was the expensive price.

I was gonna make a thread regarding this but I didnā€™t since it would have been a re-post. Anyway, at least they went with USB 4 instead of USB 3.1416 or something like that :joy:

1 Like

USB PIE, Like 3.14etcā€¦lol

2 Likes

Maybe, but it will take a while, companies have to change up how they were building things if they want to change over, assuming they werenā€™t already set up or ready for this to happen. Either way, I donā€™t think C is expensive, from personal experience devices with C or C cables arenā€™t noticeably more expensive, unless they are brand new.

Actually thatā€™s not a bad name, USB Pi :wink:

4 Likes

Yea but they would call it PIE, thatā€™s why i said that and made it caps, should have done P.I.E, they would make a joke and acronym out of it lol. But I didnā€™t think it was actually a good idea lol

Close enough :wink:

And yes Iā€™m aware PI is the ratio of a circleā€™s circumference to its diameter.

1 Like

That is a confusing pictureā€¦Iā€™m ending this madness because I am getting pinged too for every comment made here, hehe sry

I thought you were talking to me my badšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

You can unwatch this topic if you so choose :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A daft questionā€¦ Is usb a trading name? Or is it free, and just an abbreviationā€¦

Just wondering due to above commentā€¦ Itā€™s now free, and the usb-c price will dropā€½

Agreed! As long as the plug is reversible, Iā€™m happy!

USB is abbreviation of Universal Serial Bus.

I doubt the prices will come down. Companies will use it as a selling point to raise the price.

Complete specs will be detailed by Mid 2019 per all web posting and It will take few years for USB4 to be implemented for general use, considering we are seeing USB -C adoption now though it was released back in 2014.

Iā€™m not saying the devices are/arenā€™t more expensive. Iā€™m saying that, as a fact, manufacturers that want to include USB-C as their charging port had to pay more (royalties) for this port rather than for micro.

Who owns the rights to this standard? USB-C should be universal whereas any manufacturer should be able to use it. At least you would think!

1 Like

USB-C Is public any company can have it.

1 Like

That is correct Mr Tugar32! Any company can use the standardā€¦ so why no USB-C in new iPhones? You would think the XS line would be all USB-C

1 Like

Can this pie be charged (warmed up) by the USB.
And which kind of charger (wattage) is needed? :joy:

1 Like

An updateā€¦

@AnkerTechnicalā€¦
But there are lots of other changes, too. A series of speed boosts arrived: USB 3.0 at 5 gigabits per second, USB 3.1 at 10Gbps and the new USB 3.2 at 20Gbps. USB now can charge laptops and countless other devices with USB Power Delivery technology. And ā€œalt modes,ā€ which let you connect monitors with HDMI and DisplayPort video standards the cable connect to HDMI, gives USB-C ports even more options.

ā€¦this was taken from this CNET report