The Evolution of Batteries

Wow great info and breakdown. All of these different tech sounds very interesting. I am an eco person (would love to own an electric car one day…or hybrid at the least) and the alternate energy methods sound really interesting. Nano batteries and nano yolk batteries show incredible potential as well.

Looks like lithium-ion is allowed on board.

1 Like

There is a common maximum of 100Wh which at typical voltage is 26800mAh. You need to carry on not check so if they catch fire the crew can extinguish.

100Wh is always allowed in ‘user quantities’, so 2 fat powerbanks in no issue.
Bigger is also allowed but (officially) you have to ask the carrier for permission. That’s before you check-in your luggage.

Carry on is preferred but before I knew that I put about 5 18560 cell in my check-in without an issue.
About 2 months ago when they wanted to ban all laptops from carry-on the idea was that you checked them in.
With that they broke their own advise/rule. So my guess is that they don’t really care much about the size.

I’ve seen 30,000 mAh powerbanks but they are quite rare. 26,800 is just a little below the 100wH limit.
If you need even more power you could take two. A little more expensive but also more flexible because you don’t always need a big beast bank.

I usually fly with Delta, always the same route. They have USB power on every seat in a number of planes. I have no idea if it’s possible to predict which flights.

1 Like

Exciting stuff thanks for sharing this info.

nice read i hope more solar charging options will be out soon, Ive had some that take ages to charge and will be getting better as we go

1 Like