Tech news: Will Netflix be another Blockbuster?

1TB is very less when you have Rokus and FireTVs, Streaming 4K / 1080p content in your house in multiple rooms (have 2 Rokus, 2 FireTV for the family) and not to mention Google Home Mini streaming songs from Google Music, with regular downloads for web browsing, Security Cams uploading constant videos on events. This is why Internet providers were quick to have these limits set.

1 Like

4 people in this house, 100Mbit download service, the streaming apps automatic pick the fastest bitrate, its not that difficult to get to 1TB / month.

I have regular downloads scripts and I lock them to lowest possible download, for example take this BBC programme:

The download of it is:

modesizes: original2: hvfhd1=2438MB,hvfhd2=2438MB,hvfhd3=2438MB,dvfhd1=2243MB,hvfsd1=1379MB,hvfsd2=1379MB,hvfsd3=1379MB,dvfsd1=1244MB,hvfxsd1=812MB,hvfxsd2=812MB,hvfxsd3=812MB,dvfxsd1=710MB,hvfxhigh1=448MB,hvfxhigh2=448MB,hvfxhigh3=448MB,dvfxhigh1=366MB,hvflow1=265MB,hvflow2=265MB,hvflow3=265MB,dvflow1=193MB,subtitles1=143kB,subtitles2=143kB,subtitles3=143kB [estimated sizes only]

So just a one hour program is up to 2.4GB.

I script it to pick the smaller bitrates.

#!/bin/bash if [ $(pgrep -c getqt) -gt "1" ] ; then echo getqt already running exit fi find /mnt/1TB/News/QuestionTime.mp4 -mtime +2 -exec rm {} \; >/dev/null 2>&1 cd /mnt/1TB/News if [ -f QuestionTime.mp4 ] ; then echo my job is done exit fi ssh -n -f -p666 root@192.168.2.32 "sh -c 'find /mnt/sdcard/Download/QuestionTime.mp4 -mtime +3 -exec rm {} \; > /dev/null 2>&1'" export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games gi --refresh --refresh-include "BBC One" --type=tv >/dev/null 2>&1 today=`date '+%d/%m/%Y'` gi --modes=worse --output /mnt/1TB/News --file-prefix="QuestionTime" --get $(gi "Question Time" | grep $today | cut -d ":" -f1) if [ -f QuestionTime.mp4 ] ; then ssh -n -f -p666 root@192.168.2.32 \ "sh -c 'nohup wget -c -O /mnt/sdcard/Download/QuestionTime.mp4 \ http://192.168.2.9/1TB/News/QuestionTime.mp4 >/dev/null 2>&1 &'" fi

So Linux can do anything anybody would possibly need, the portable version being Android, why on earth anyone sane and not gullible wants anything Apple absolutely baffles me.

2 Likes

And I thought I was cool with my 898 songs downloaded but here is @cshenoy with 2TB of media and @professor with 141GB of media on his phone alone :joy: amazing guys!

@cshenoy @professor agree with you. without roku, netflix and other streaming devices, just my tv and ipad streaming youtube content and regular office work I maxed at 250GB last month. So, 1TB is easy to cross…

Exactly what I was going to say. Competition is good. Consumers win with competitive pricing.

2 Likes

Why Netflix will still be on top?

Netflix still have deals with Marvel and DC outside the US. Mexico and Canada have a bigger selection of shows from this 2 companies delivered by Netflix.

In the U.S we have many different options. I currently have

Spotify Family plan (My oldest kid will kill me if I cancel, also I prefer this interface better then Apple Music)
Netflix 4 Devices plan (I love Netflix)
Basic Hulu(My little one is a fan of Teen Titans go!)
Amazon Prime (Need my “The Grand Tour”)
At&t Watch Now (Free 25 channels with At&t cell plan)
HBO Go (Free with At&t)

Whats coming?

DC Universe has a new subscription for about $7 US Original shows plus Movies plus access to Almost all their comics and other content

Disney/Marvel/Star Wars Streaming service. Soon Netflix will loose the rights to Marvel and Star Wars Movies (Note this will only happen in the US)

Apple Streaming (Don’t know a lot about it)

2 Likes

Like the way you put it :joy:

1 Like