Taping PowerExpand Elite to a desk

I recently got the PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 TB3 dock. I got a bit of an issue with it but assuming that gets resolved, I was wondering about something.

At first I had it right beside my monitor on my desk, e.g. some distance away from where I sit (got an ultrawide monitor). It didn’t feel “right” and I was thinking about mounting it yo the underside of my desk. But it’s meant to stand upright and I don’t think it’s a good solution anyway.

So then I moved it further towards me, basically, and that makes so much more sense. The power button in a way functions as my “desk power button” and I love that. I can charge my phone from it as well. It’s almost like an ornament. :wink:

But it’s still free-standing on the desk. So I was thinking, would it be possible to get maybe some 3M adhesive tape and basically fix it to the desk? The only thing that worries me is the rubber underneath. I don’t want to risk it coming off when the time comes to remove it from my desk.

Any advice on this? Thanks!

If you have a 3d printer you can always design and print something to hold the dock in place. I printed a mount to hold my Anker 5 port charger to the underside of my desk

1 Like

If you are skilled you can create something even if you don’t have a 3-D-Printer.

2 Likes

Any vents you may block ?

Thanks for your thoughts. I don’t have a 3D printer but I did find a company that offers 3D printing services. And I also have an idea for a bracket. The aluminum that makes up the front, back, top and bottom of the device is slightly wider at the base. So I think it might be possible to design a bracket that slides around that widening. And the rubber underneath should then act as a way to keep the device tight in the bracket. I won’t be blocking any vents, but that’s because the dock doesn’t have any. I will of course block the bottom part of the aluminum (which gets warm), but most of it is already covered by the rubber anyway. And it’s meant to sit on a flat surface (a desk) so I don’t think it’s going to be problematic.

I’ve never 3D designed anything though. Do you have any tips before I start googling for software?

Ask @Tank by pm he is an expert.

1 Like

Tbh, unless you have free access to a printer, other options will be more affordable. There likely exists a combination of several dollars worth of brackets at your local hardware store that ban be fashioned to address your issue.

I own and love my SLA printer, but I’m just speaking honestly here. And I wouldn’t trust your dick/hub to tape.

1 Like

I created an initial Tinkercad model and got a quote from https://www.3dpeople.uk for GBP3.60. And that’s with SLS printing, which from what I understand is very nice.

The model is this:
Screenshot%20at%20Dec%2006%2014-07-06

My idea is to make use of the fact that at the base, the dock is a bit wider. I think this should allow me to slide the dock into my bracket which should then hold it in place. Although I am considering an alternate approach: split the bracket in two halves and use a dovetail joint to lock them into place. It could make things easier to assemble.

Anyway, uhmm… not sure what kind of bracket at a local hardware store would give me a similar result for less money(?)

But if any of you find any flaws with my plan, I would be grateful for letting me know. As I said, I am new to this. So it might not work as I think it does.

I tried sending a PM to Tank but his profile is hidden? I’m new here as well, so… a bit confused.

To send a message to a hidden profile look top right of your screen, click on your avatar, middle of three on the top right is a mail icon, then create new message and type Tank.

It’s possible also for a user to not allow PMs but only got this far in screenshot to help you.

Screenshot_20201206_154406

Some libraries offer 3d printing services for a fee :+1:
Or you can look on Amazon for something similar that may help

Thanks. I sent him a PM and he’s helping me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh that’s a sweet printable.

I wouldn’t trust that with tape either! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is the final design:

When I say final, I actually may still want to shave 0.5 mm off the bottom so that the whole thing is slightly thinner. But otherwise, yeah, I think this is it.

I split it into two parts as it should be much easier to fit together that way. Also the bottom plate is shorter so that it hopefully won’t be visible (may want to do a last minute check on the angle there). My idea is that only the inclined sides will be.

It should fit the dock perfectly though. It should depress the rubber underneath the dock by about 0.2mm so that the dock stays in place. Just hoping that the inclined sides are enough to actually keep the dock depressed that way.

I found a company on eBay that creates 3D-printed brackets. I purchased this bracket to bolt-on a different Thunderbolt dock to the bottom of my desk and it fit perfectly. I’m considering buying this Anker dock for another desk/workstation as I like the features and appearance better then the other one I bought.

If anything, maybe contact the company to see if they’re making one for the Anker. I’m all about bolting things under desks to keep most of it and the cables out of sight.

Great suggestion :+1:

That is so easy to 3d print. Its actually the one I use in my bedroom. It literally cost just 50 cents worth of filament to print, so they are making bank selling it

I’ve spent a total of $12.99+tax ever for a 3D printed products. Are you saying that buying a 3D printer, including the cost in time-used of learning to use the printer and software, plus the cost/time to print a perfectly molded bracket for a specific product, and of course, that ultimate 50-cents of filament is cheaper than $12.99 + tax? Where do I sign up?

Many of us have zero desire to build a 3D print shop for that rare time to 3D-print something.

If you think someone would “make bank”, sounds like a business-opportunity for you. Why aren’t you offering to undercut someone for say $7?

Before you buy such a printer, you should check out their quality.
There are many around meanwhile.

Rob @Tank is an expert.

Always funny to see he creations. :grinning: