Switching from iPhone to Android?

Hey @ryandhazen Couple tips for you. Widgets can be a drain on battery so choose careful and don’t use more than what you need…It’s the kid in the candy store effect at first that gets you.

Try a different camera app. I tried a few including Google camera and some I hated. Personal preference. I noticed some speed differences with the diff camera apps

As far as the bloatware, The apps that you do not use and can’t uninstall can probably be disabled.
Try …Pulldown menu> settings> apps> click the app you don’t like and then select disable

2 Likes

I never recommended that specific Android phone.

Samsung S8+ or Note 8 I made the switch to a larger screen a few years ago and will never go back. I rarely pick up my tablet, phones are way more comfortable in your hand. Having a larger screen is always a good thing. Plus, they look insane😲

Take it back you’ll never be happy with that phone. I don’t know what your budget is but try to purchase directly from the manufacturer to avoid bloatware. Get a Samsung you’ll be very happy I promise The higher-end models are built like tanks have the curves of Jessica Rabbit have every feature the fastest chips best Screens should I go on?

2 Likes

I never said you did :slight_smile: It’s just the one I wound up choosing.

Ha! I love it.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to do this. The one thing I like about the built-in Moto app is the editor. I think I can probably use both. I’m also in the market for a good music app if you know if one.

Full disclosure, this was an estimate after I had been using it constantly for about 30 minutes right after the charge ended. After letting it rest and turning on power saver (with little noticeable difference in brightness or function), the estimate readjusted to a peak of 13 hours.

I didn’t realize the battery life app readjusted based on previous usage and predicted use. That’s really freaking cool. iPhone has nothing like that.

2 Likes

yes you can use both. I have three camera apps installed. I use google play music but to be honest I haven’t tried many music apps. I really like “EQ custom” equalizer as it makes most headsets sound so much better and you can tweak to the listeners preference. Most apps are free but have some annoying adds. If you want to get rid of the adds you can pay a couple bucks for the pro version. Definitely worth paying if you use the app a lot.

Google Music responses to Google Now voice commands has everything includes YouTube Red which lets you play YouTube without commercials. you can also make YouTube playlists and play them when your screen is off. For $10 a month it’s a steal.

1 Like

To avoid paying for Youtube Red (to block ads) use Chrome browser, unlock bootloader, root, and use Adaway. Then browser blocks ads including for Youtube just like Chrome plugins block youtube ads on a Chromebook / Linux / windows.

1 Like

But that doesn’t enable background play. You have to pay for YouTube Red/Google Music but it does enable background play. Then you can use voice commands like (Play such-and-such YouTube video) or (play whatever artist) also most users do not root their phones.

Update:

Two years later, I am very happy with the switch from iPhone to Android. I still use a mac desktop, but I’ve given up the macbook for a chromebook. I use Google drive and Google photos for cloud storage, which is VASTLY superior to iCloud and is still accessible on my mac devices. As for music, I stream music via prime but still buy physical albums and rip them to a microSD card, which I then put in my android phone. Much better for off-grid use and data fees.

My recommendation to anyone considering the switch: DO IT! Android is much better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Also update: I did switch from Moto to galaxy s9+ recently. The Moto got crashy after about a year, but I did like the vastly smaller form factor in the z2 force edition. However, Samsung interfaces with the micro SD card much more quickly and is generally snappier. It is MUCH heavier, though, and I really dislike the curved edges :frowning: They are so hard to hold onto.

I have an iPhone 6 and I had to change the battery 2years after buying the phone… was considering swapping with an s8 but I then left it as i thought that it would be wasteful of my money…Apple makes their phones only last less than 2 years so they people buy new ones which means they get more profit/sales… and downloading new software on iOS slows the phone down considerably…

I’m currently rocking that S9+, I use to use the Motorola Moto X Pure… The second version. I loved that phone but It got screwed up after a software update, I use Verizon via straight talk and after the software update it disabled the bands that I needed for Verizon. So I was forced to upgrade, and while I like the s9+ I would much rather still use my Moto x pure.

1 Like

What I like with ANDROID, its UNIX-based like LINUX.
So data swapping is easy.

I was using MAC-OS in the past, caused by my job at the university.
All worked fine, but now retired : back to my old roots.

I was working with all kind of OS, psssst : All are buggy and bad… :joy:

That’s my favorite part about Android. You plug it in, and it becomes a hard drive!

Also, the charging speeds on Android are far better than iPhone. Anker products almost always work better with Android.

1 Like

Android is not a function of screen size. So you can have a 11" phone, from a network perspective so no separate data line plan. I have 3 phones. A watch with a 1.4" screen, a phone with a 6.2" screen, and a tablet with 10.8" screen, all on phone network.

Seeing as you are singing Android, I will balance with the downsides.

If you buy an unpopular / cheap phone, then you will stop getting updates after a year or so and so stop getting security updates a little after. In Android as it is the vendor to do updates, you risk a phone a little over a year old on a version of Android of known security vulnerabilities. Apple will do updates a lot longer.

The Android workaround for that is just pick popular Android devices which release their kernel sources with unlockable bootloaders and let the open source community then take over. I have devices from 2012 still going strong via that method.

So if going Android, just go for popularity, by quantity, in forums. OnePlus is winning that currently.

Typed on a Chromebook.

No more Itunes needed! :smiley:

1 Like