Spam / Robo / Marketing Calls - How to avoid these?

Pretty much the same for me…landlines are a different matter but that’s few and far between and is easily solved after the first 3 seconds…does your phone do this…click…

1 Like

:joy: I am left with no option but to hangup these calls on landlines. There are some wierd calls / missed calls ringing in the middle of night, that too International ones, like Namibia, Lithuania… Those are the ones which annoy more than anything.

1 Like

The international call scam is meant to trick people to calling back the toll number which causes toll charges on the call. The toll charges then mostly go to the scammers. I find those to be the worst types of scam calls personally.

wow! Was not aware of these kind of calls, I never call back international calls which I miss, so glad i saved myself in these scam :blush:

1 Like

UK… Generally UMKNOWN CALLER, refers to a call that has blocked it’s number and hiding its origins, PRIVATE number is generally the same.

My drs callbacks used to come through as private number, but now (either they’ve changed or it’s my default app working?) It says, DOCTORS, whereas before, just said private.

If I get a number from an unknown/recognised source, I Google it, to see if spam (to ignore) and has comments, or if from a genuine company.

1 Like

I actually changed my voicemail to something like “I no longer answer calls I don’t recognize. Please leave me a message or contact me another way if you need a response”

Eventually, if you don’t answer the calls, your number will get cleaned from their list. It’s actually reduced the number of calls I receive to about 2 per week (down from 2 per day) after three months of faithfully not answering non-recognized calls.

1 Like

Oh I hate these calls. I went through a few months of getting calls every few days telling me about the car accident I’d had (I’ve never had one!!!) and how they can help me claim compensation!!!

After constantly blocking the numbers they seem to have stopped for the time being!

1 Like

these spam callers use a number for sure. If it is anonymous or private, i never usually answer these calls.

I agree with you on that. But it catches more than when I was on ATT. That’s why all my non contact calls are screened. If they don’t text or leave a voice mail they don’t get a return call

I never ever pick a call that I don’t recognize. If they have anything important to tell leave a VM :slight_smile:

Lol they suck even at scamming

Yea every major carrier should have this and update it regularly

1 Like

The biggest challenge with these carrier supported apps is these work only for US numbers and is easily circumvented if the spam calls come as International… Even today, got like 4 back to back spam calls from Namibia

You are right, I didn’t think about that. Did you prank them tho? That’s the important question :laughing:

1 Like

Call never connects, they just give missed calls, looks like these may be scam which charge back when we can them back

Glad I rarely call back missed calls especially if it’s a crazy number. My area code is either 704 or 980, so if it doesn’t start with those numbers, I’m not calling back

1 Like

found a sort of workaround solution for landline… Using my Phone service SIP provider (Callcentric), setup a IVR for callers to Press 1 for call to continue. If caller is a human and wants to continue to talk, will need to press 1. Will keep changing these options regularly. This (hopefully :crossed_fingers:) should take care of spam/robo calls for landline.

1 Like

for android and iphone users you can use
true caller
identify most spam call

I think that’s the one built into my phone.

I know truecaller works in India but doesn’t seem to work that well for me in USA. Even after setting spam callers as spam

AFAIK T-mobile blocks these in the US, not sure about other carriers