Soundcore Model Zero - Z5180 "Review"

Charger plug is not proprietary. It is a barrel plug (most common type). Any switching power supply 15V, 3A will work.

Great review and photos, @kumar.sachin!

If you really look for portability I would go for other models like FLARE.
This ZERO is better for steady use indoor.

Great review! Donā€™t really understand those graphs though :joy:

Raw RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) - The higher the RSSI value, the stronger the signal. When measured in negative numbers, the number that is closer to zero usually means better signal. As an example -50 is a pretty good signal, -75 - is fairly reasonable, and -100 is no signal at all.

Data Rate (Bytes/sec) - easy to understandā€¦Higher the better :grinning:

Retransmission - Reliable delivery of broadcasted packet. Lower number is better.

Bitpool - Lower number will cause choppiness of audio (Value around 50 is considered high or good)

SBC codec recommended bitrate is 328 kb/sec

2 Likes

Thanks. The graphs make more sense now :joy:

1 Like

Often not possible when downloading mp3 from somewhere.
I use OGG-compression if possible when converting from CD,

OGG is just a container for the data. When you compress CD into MP3, keeping the bitrate to 256 or 320kbps will result in excellent quality mp3. Higher bitrate will result in better quality file but file size will be bigger.

On mac I use XLD for compression and conversion.
PS: original CD PCM bitrate is 1411kbps

Interessant!
Which player is needed for those XLD files?
All MAC-OS I suppose.

I think it is similar to FLAC.
This can be used for CD ripping as well.
But with ā€œold earsā€ there is not such a need of high fidelilty! :wink:

XLD is a free utility https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html
X Lossless Decoder(XLD) is a tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various ā€˜losslessā€™ audio files.

Yes you can use CD, FLAC, ALAC whatevery lossless compression and convert it to which ever format you need.

1 Like

So the quality from those methods XLD, CD, FLAC, ALAC is all similar?
Need storage of course and not all players support these.
Compression can be don after by using a converter.

I was playing around with audacity, but using this you need some kind of knowledge, as usual! :grin:
I was reading that FLAC can be be compared with ALAC

Iā€™m sorry, I think I didnā€™t make it clear in my previous comment.
XLD is not a file format. It is a tool that is used for making FLAC, ALAC, MP3 files from CD. It is also used for converting one file format to another. For example, FLAC to MP3, or FLAC to ALAC.
ALAC is Apple lossless audio codec (extension is.m4a)

FLAC and ALAC are both lossless format. iPods, iPhones (prior to iOS 11) were unable to play FLAC files so ALAC was the lossless option. MacOS on the other hand can play FLAC natively.

1 Like

I got it now.
Thanks!

I am not so familiar with MAC-OS.
So ALAC is quasi the MAC format same as FLAC, which is free and usable on all systems.

There have been other converters for MAC-OS, I was using times ago,
but havenā€™t heard of this XLD one.
So if one doesnā€™t use MAC-OS would you recommend FLAC, as it can be used by MAC AND other OS? (except IPAD and IPOD :pensive:)

Looks fun! Love the 2 bluetooth design.

Absolutely, I always interrupt my wifeā€™s playlist and she does the same to mine :joy:

Yes FLAC is the way to go.

Thanks for the review

15V is absolutely not normal for random chargers laying around. I could search for days and not find an extra 15v charger around my house, much less with the same size barrel adapter, and thereā€™s no way Iā€™d be out and about and expect to be able to find one. Thatā€™s pretty much the same thing as a proprietary charger.

I didnā€™t say chargers laying around in your house. I meant it is very common charger and can be found for 5-15 bucks at most electronics stores (online and BM).
Barrel plug is not proprietary, it is being used for years in a variety of devices (laptops, walkman, radios, calculators, cameras, camcorders, battery chargers, etc.). As @Tank mentioned, since the power requirement for this speaker is 45 watt any usb, or microusb plug will not work. Even with usb-c there are very few options to provide 45 watt (for this speaker it will be overkill since only purpose of charger is to charge internal batteries).

1 Like

I have watched a bunch of reviews on youtube saying the opposite that the sound quality is decent but too much treble, flat bass. Is there anyway that you can reduce the amount of the treble (which makes the speaker sound pretty harsh at high volume) and increase the bass to reach deeper ends?