PowerConf - not working as intended

Hey guys.
I have the PowerConf and have been getting on with it OK.
The connecting to multiple devices simultaneously isn’t really an issue in my world.
I tend to organise conference in advance so know if going to be using a soft phone app on laptop or mobile.
If some one calls me ad-hoc wanting a call with multiple people from my end I’ll make them call me back or I’ll call them back.

No I haven’t read all the marketing info, but if Anker has suggested it will do this, that’s a little naughty.
But their support has never let me down.
And remember if the product isn’t doing what it’s advertised to do you can also return it to your retailer for a refund (pending your local trading standards laws)

I agree with OP. I can connect PowerConf to Laptop via USB and to iPhone via Bluetooth. When plugged in, only sound and calls will come from USB connection. If i play music on phone, it appears to be using BT connection to the speaker, but the speaker is not playing any sounds. Once i unplug the Powerconf from my laptop, then music starts playing from the phone. Kind of a hassle to plug/unplug the PowerConf depending on what device I would like to use.

What should happen is if a call comes in from iPhone, the BT connection should have priority over USB, or at least give me a choice.

@erferris @benjamin18 I bought the PowerConf and got it this week, and been using / testing it.

I completely get what you guys have been experiencing, and this got me stumped the first time I had the iPhone and PC connected to the PowerConf, audio on iPhone was not routing to PowerConf, Hardwired connection to PC took the priority. I take all my office calls on web conference (webex,zoom) as well as over softphone on Windows, so not much of a concern or an issue for me, but yes - this is a big issue for anyone planning to connect to 2 devices at any time. Anker has to fix this issue via a software update on PowerConf (also there are no updates for PowerConf as of the time of writing this reply)

Audio should route to PowerConf - be it BT or Wired, based on from which device the audio came first, this is the one of the issues I am seeing on PowerConf, plus seeing few more, will include it over a detailed review

1 Like

They don’t mention Multipoint in the description of their PowerConf page: https://www.anker.com/store/anker-powerconf-bluetooth-speakerphone/A3301011

Perhaps ask Anker to change their Bluetooth profiles to add Multiport in a future firmware update. It looks like it can take audio on one device and a phone call on the other.

I have the Powerconf but don’t use it this way. I use it for handsfree phone calls while at my desk.

I don’t understand. Is there a video to show the issue?

yes, I am making a review for it, will try to see if i can upload a video for the same ahead of time

Meanwhile let me try putting it hear in text…

Devices used : Windows 10 Laptop & iPhone 11 Pro

Windows 10 Laptop --> connected over USB-A to USB-C (C end connects to PowerConf)
iPhone 11 Pro – > Connected over Bluetooth to PowerConf

Make Audio calls on Softphone on Windows Laptop – Audio is routed through the PowerConf for Speaker as well as Mic input.

Now, stop all calls and audio output from the PC while still connected to the USB cable to PC.
Trying to make a call from iPhone 11 Pro via the PowerConf connected over Bluetooth - there is no audio output or mic input taken by PowerConf – > this is the issue

If I disconnect the USB cable on the PowerConf, the Audio routing from iPhone to PowerConf over Bluetooth works perfectly.

In essence, PowerConf works / provides priority to wired (USB-C) over wireless (BT), similar to a Windows machine giving higher priority to a wired network cable over Wifi. Hope I was able to explain this better, this time.

Anker has to make a provision for routing the calls whichever ways the audio comes first - PC or Smartphone, and have ability on the Soundcore app to choose this priority.

Have already reached out to Support, and provided inputs.

1 Like

Looking forward to it. All of my closest needs are non-professional, family phoning other elderly / distant friends / family, the device would be a phone making phone call, or running hangouts, skype, etc.

So, after of the multiport hype, this is just a tabletop headset that needs to be connected manually to each source as needed then?

That is how all the Soundcore work, if AUX is connected, BT doesn’t work. It is common for wired over wireless.

But for rrp $99, you’d expect more intelligence.

1 Like

Soundcore Nano does pretty much what PowerConf does - act as a conference speaker (for only 1 user though - not multi-user) plugged in and I have been using it for almost 2 years,

a bit more is expected from PowerConf.

For my daily use cases - i am attending 95% of all my calls on PC (Softphone, WebEx, Zoom, …) so this limitation does not really affect me.

But a feature for connecting both devices at same time, and routing First Active Audio Stream from connected device is the one feature I strongly believe will make PowerConf the personal conference device stand apart with whatever is available in market.

If Active Audio Routing is not possible - then completely disable Bluetooth functionality while PowerConf connected via USB-C to PC. This removes the whole ambiguity about Multi-Point.

I am currently working with Anker Support and sent these to them

Hey @Shenoy what do you mean by active audio stream?

The point is: There have been reviews out there claiming the PowerConf can do exactly this. The technical term for this feature is called “multipoint”. One can still be found at Amazon. Unbenannt

So either this was a feature which somehow disappeared or there were some nice bought fake reviews out in the fields…

And I am glad to hear so many of you have such a super experience with the Anker support. Well. Look at this topic here. When has it been started? When has Anker support reacted? Cool?

I dont own Powerconf, but reading the words there are different points. Connecting multiple BT devices, vs wired over BT.

Windows 10 Laptop --> connected over USB-A to USB-C (C end connects to PowerConf)
iPhone 11 Pro – > Connected over Bluetooth to PowerConf

Active Audio Stream – If there is an call coming first on Windows or iPhone, that first Active Audio needs handled on Priority by PowerConf.

At present, BT connects to PowerConf even while it is plugged into PC, but there is no audio routing to it via BT.

1 Like

@benjamin18 I wouldn’t really blame Anker for a user’s review on Amazon, since this is not what Anker quotes, but more of a user’s experience. It mostly looks like either the user did not test the PowerConf functionality properly and wrote the review based on the detail that - PowerConf was connected to PC as well as over Bluetooth to phone, and never really tested the Audio output from phone in this setup. There was a previous mention about Multi-point by Anker, and I believe this has been removed from Amazon now.

Down the road, based on the feedback from users like us, we may (:crossed_fingers: ) see the requested feature added to PowerConf,

Nice one @Shenoy
I was thinking its was something else, thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

Received promising response from Anker Support today, so fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Good news matey. Hope you’re having a great Friday!

I hope Anker will update their firmware soon as I have already bought this based from the review having “multi-point” , I believe this can be done by a firmware update.

@johndjp with the latest PowerConf firmware, it already support multi-point – connects to the PC via USB-C & Smartphone via Bluetooth … and routes audio from both the devices… you need to check it out if it suits your requriement.