[POLL] Anker wireless Powercore - 2020 need?

Looks crazy weird but workable.
They might make it less easy to slip in and out of a bag/pocket though.

1 Like

Doesn’t suction cups make it thicker? From what I see from the comments in this thread, wireless is a nice-to-have and we want few downsides. I think the coil can be made into the case so not thicker and not heavier, and the outer layer non-slippy. Cost should be small too. Cannot be high wattage as then heat and inefficiency grows.

As to possible performance, products with larger batteries, wired in, wireless in/out

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_matepad_pro_5g-10100.php

So that’s a hint of what is affordably reliable deliverable

• 40W in this case, well that’s similar to the 45W in of the current Powercore 26800 PD
  • wireless in 27W so about half as fast as wired. I’m not sure of a need for this, more likely is pass-thru, so Powercore recharging while it can output wireless. A bit like the Fusion?
  • wireless out 7.5W so good for top-up, trickle to put down phone and get some charging but wired still the fastest.

We’d buy that?

1 Like

I think that will be a good starting point.

1 Like

But but but … it’s a Huawei … :laughing: :crazy_face:

Like @Ice1 said, the specs are a good starting point. 40W (wired) and 27W (wireless) are nice. I haven’t bought into the wireless out feature yet because I always have 1-2 Anker batteries around, but I can see how it might appeal to some.

1 Like

My phone doesn’t support this feature and I just don’t want to upgrade yet unless the current phone is unusable. Even when I upgrade, hope there will be fast wireless charging available at an affordable price tag, otherwise a big NO.

Loss of efficiency and added bulk are non-starters for me in terms of on-the-go charging. But I guess we could have no choice if we enter an age of portless phones.

I’d rather keep the usb c. Wireless charging still has a long way to come to be as efficient as wired. I cant see it competing with the super rapid charge of the new galaxy devices.

Wired will always be more efficient and powerful than wireless. That’s because wired is flow of electrons which are charged particles and so can be guided by a voltage potential, while wireless is photons which are electrically neutral so scatter more widely.

But wireless has now got good enough, low enough cost, powerful enough, that many now are perfectly fine with wireless, usually charger by the bed and one at regular place of work.

I suspect portless phones will arise, not necessarily as a good idea, but just to get attention, a “because we can” reason.

I suspect Anker can add wireless, albeit low power like a 7.5W, to a Powercore 20000 with few negatives (weight, size, cost) and so you can leave house without the cable and turn the 20000 into your portable wireless charger. That added cost, you’d think would be a bad idea, but if it saves buying even just one less wireless charger, people will conclude net saving. No cable means no cable to fail. I suspect the net weight and cost of wired vs wireless is a wash.

Around the same time, if Soundcore was wirelessly recharged, you’d then have a completely wireless system which would last a few days.

So a person would have a high power, cabled to wall, wireless charger say at home, and a low power, portable charger, wireless in their bag.

So I can an inevitability. Accepting this is just discussions and so easily false.

True. We already have 18W wireless chargers on the market for under USD$40. We’re just waiting for manufacturers to adopt faster charging on more devices.

But we still have the problem of reliably keeping the phone on the charger. I don’t think suction cups (as shown on photos above) are the answer. I’d like to see something similar to MicroSuction technology or magnets that will easily keep the phone in place to charge.

Isn’t it only the solution of the central part of one side of the imagined future Powerwave 20000 , being the same material as on this?

Most phones are now about the same size and say the upper deck of both Powercore 10000 PD Slim and say the Essential 20000 PD are similar size as a phone, simply merge these. Accepting you’d still want a cabled option for fastest charging but a low wattage wireless. If has to be in this context low power for low heat and less energy wasted. Your separate bought cabled wireless charger can be high wattage as it doesnt need to be efficient.

Together back to back, in a pocket, the phone would lower to bottom of pocket, as would the Powerwave 20000, so naturally by being similar size and shape end up next to each other, and so probably work in a pocket, but accepting we’re agreeing wired is always there, its just convenience wireless.

Scenario:

• person buys a wireless charged phone
  • person buys the Powerwave 20000
  • person buys a Powerport 45W PD
  • person plugs in Powerport+Powerwave next to bed, rests phone on the Powerwave.
  • Both Powerwave and phone charge, the Powerwave charged wired, the phone wireless.
  • In morning the person unplugs the Powerwave 20000 and puts in pocket, phone also, goes about their day.
  • When they are stationary, e.g finished commute to office, they put their phone on the Powerwave 20000, it gets a slow top-up and phone lasts all day, being picked up/down.
  • Leave office, commute home
  • plug in Powerwave 20000 at bed and it recharges for next day.

No cables through the day, just once at end of day.

Cost neutral as the cost of wireless added to Powercore 20000 to make it the Powerwave 20000, is less cost than buying what you’d pay otherwise of two or more wireless charging places, as you own a portable one.

All the peices, Anker makes now. Take the electronics of the Powercore Fusion 5000, which charges phone then itself. Take the wireless charging loop of the Powerwave base and its non slip surface and place in the upper side of an existing Powercore 10000 PD Slim or the 20000 PD Essential. Tune the wattage to be just low enough it doesnt heat the cells.

There you go Anker, go make it, and send me $1000 vouchers for my effort.

Okay, now that I have time to clarify what I meant previously, I will.

I am not necessarily suggesting that Anker is trailing other companies but rather that they are trailing my expectations.

Before we see anything wireless (seems as though I have already lost the battle here), I want to see these features:

• Options with PowerIQ 3.0
  • Options with Multiple USB-C Ports and Intelligent Power Allocation
  • Options with Zero USB-A Ports
  • Higher Wattage Options
  • GaN for More Compact Devices?

I have been waiting for Anker to release a portable charger with at least some of these features for nearly two years now…

I am not concerned about whether or not they are trailing other manufacturers, but they are far behind my expectations.

Gotcha, you just want more better technology faster. :innocent:

For Zero A ports needs a full spectrum of all devices not MicroB. I know we can do C-B cables but then it just means buying the C-B cable instead of A-B cable we already own. Only this last week I had buds which are C, I had B buds so carried mixed C A Powerport.

Intelligent power inteligence is obvious and current options are very underwhelming, I have written many long posts on it.

Wireless had an inevitable logic to it, some people in 2020 are now only carrying cables for their Powercore and move between wireless bases home/office.

1 Like

In the meantime, I’m gonna buy this:

1 Like
1 Like

Flash looks impressive… Anker is one of the products being used in comparison chart

That’s my favorite clip of my favorite movie ever!

40W wireless charging
65W wired charging

BTW, I stopped charging my phone overnight. I can’t imagine doing that in any future phone. For now, I just fast charge 30-45 minutes when I get down to 20-40%, and that usually gets me to pretty full. Depends on how much I use my phone, I do that 1x-3x per day.

I used to be anti-PD because of heat and because I had to buy all new equipment, but now I’m all about charging as fast as possible. The last 5 Anker power banks that I purchased all have 18W PD out.

As for wireless charging, I have 2 fast wireless chargers (capable of 10W) that I never use because 7.5W (iPhone XR limitation) is unacceptable to me. The more I think about wireless charging, the less 10W becomes acceptable. 40W like the Oppo above? Now we’re talking.

I wonder how they are doing it. Takes a lot of innovations combined.

My phone is OnePlus6, my tablets Huawei Mediapad M5, none have wireless.

Technically, wireless induction efficiency is a function of frequency.

The “dt” is a way of saying per-second, so if drive up the switching frequency ( = more expensive electronics) you can drive a higher energy transfer.

It is identical to how DC-DC step up/down works by the electromagnetic force of electrons rotating emit photons which cause electrons to move. It is photons which jump across. In a step change you just accumulate the excited electrons in a capacitor til it gets to the required voltage. So when you wiggle the electrons faster you get more higher energy photons and so the energy jumps the air faster.

Those frequency increases requires a faster electronics which is a cost.

They also are reducing DC-DC conversion by keeping Voltages close to the cell’s voltages, so keep voltages low and so must keep Amps up. For that to not cause heat resistance they must use thicker wires.

So yes this all possible but has cost and thickness consequences.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10164&idPhone2=9109

The phone you mention is 10% thicker 13% larger, 5% heavier then my current non wireless phone.

I can’t see photos of the cables but VOOC must use thicker cables.

Now if you really wanted to improve efficiency, move to the use of the weak nuclear force, not the electromagnetic force. There you emit W bosons, not photons. They transmit about 180 times the energy. They decay to electrons and a harmless anti neutrino. You’ll need nano technology as their decay distance is very short. As W particles are charged you can direct them like electrons and unlike chargeless photons.

Wireless using uncharged photons is why Wattage is the lower 40W than the wired 65W using charged electrons, the photons are scattering in all directions, the efficiency of wireless is always going to be worse than wired.

VOOC is not PD. PD uses higher Voltages. 18W from Anker is 9V 2A. 2A is the same as in 5V 2A 10W, so the same thickness of cable is just as efficient for higher Wattage via increasing the Voltage. PD has the downside of within the phone a 9V to 4.2V step-down. VOOC which instead raises Amps, keeping Voltage at 5V. That requires twice the cross-section, or 1.4x the thickness of cable. The upside is no step-down within the phone, so less heat in the phone, so you can for example get full phone performance while charging. So pick your problem, 40% thicker cable or a cooler phone.

It is not surprising the phone designer (Oppo) prefer VOOC ( lower voltage, higher current) while USB and Anker prefer PD ( higher voltage, lower current). They overlap at 5V 2A 10W which is still good enough for most applications, but something will have to change with Oppo driving up Wattage not using PD.

So my phone official charger and cable is VOOC, 18W from 5V 3.6A so only works with their charger and their cables, if I use USB and Anker it drops to 10W 5V 2A. I am cool with that for portable chargers as, by definition, they are with me continuously when away from home, and I just plug in my 18W Powercore which gives 10W to my non-PD 18W phone. I also got lucky with my Huawei devices, they also are proprietary but they support 9V 2A so by sheer luck Anker 18W 9V 2A works with my 18W 9V 2A Huawei devices.

So what I tend to do is not carry my proprietary charges, just Anker 18W PD Powercore, and Anker dual 18W Powerport and for my phone it’s fine to have 10W from Powercore.

I see me getting Wireless as inevitable, the cost and performance is well into that “why not” level. I’d not be selecting my devices because of Wireless, I’d expect all devices I’d consider would have Wireless by the time I need to buy a device.

The innovation which more interests me is the reverse wireless, and if Anker Soundcore moves to Qi not just for the charging case but the actual buds themselves. If you read the above you see induction is a function of cross-section so a wider ring can transfer more energy but I reckon the likes of the Life P2 can have a Qi loop around the outside edge of the 1" long bud.

1 Like