Our First-Ever Docking Station is Here!

This price point is not competitive. Dell has a higher specs dock (wd19tb) listed at $350, but already on sale down to $275. And others and many competitors are even cheaper.

I had anticipated $200, and hoped for under $150 to be really compelling and disruptive. But this pricing puts it in a very crowded space where it will be about justifying and balancing required features and support. For the same price, I think the Dell has better features. This is more compact, but is also going to be sitting on a desk, not traveling with me.

2 Likes

If you’re correct then the price will just fall to match. Stock won’t sell if over-priced and if you’re correct on spec vs price then implies manufacturing cost is considerably lower.

It’s people paying a high price, which causes the high price. Sit on your money and price falls.

Anker deliberately creates an inflated launch price, to then almost immediately discount 20% so then when they do a 50% discount it looks amazing. Also note that many ways of listing items is based on discount, so a higher launch price, to get a higher discount %, gets you nearer top of searches.

2 Likes

You are probably correct. Not a fan of those types of pricing games, but understand why they happen, sadly.

You had already mentioned earlier in this thread your estimate for discounts of 40% by black friday, so maybe by the end of the year we will see this at an attractive price.

2 Likes

Looks great!

Needs a black option and I am a bit surprised it doesn’t have 10Gig

I would like to know the UK launch date also

something on same lines, having a Fast SSD on this PowerExpand Elite Dock, may 512GB or 1TB would make this much more enticing than what we have. Easy backup / shared storage

Also, I have 2 Monitors, and planning to add a third… this dock only supports 1 monitor, unless I add a USB-C to dual HDMI Splitter … thats another $40 to $50 if I need a quality product… means adding more ding dongs … :frowning:

At this price… i would expect at least 2 HDMI connections for the dock

hey @AnkerOfficial … the link for the PowerExpand elite on the main post is opening to Doh ! 404!

can you please look into it?

or may be till Ankerofficial comes online, @ndalby @TechnicallyWell can you guys edit it to point to https://www.anker.com/a8396launch (thanks @Insider)

3 Likes

This is the correct link.

1 Like

This one actually has better specs in certain random ways (like including displayport and hdmi outputs). It doesn’t have full USB-C PD though, with only 45W passthrough. And it isn’t TB3, and it looks a LOT odd to me. But less than half the price.

At this price, I actually expect two DisplayPort connections for the dock, not just HDMI. The dell dock I mentioned above has two displayport, an HDMI, and a USB-C WITH displayport. Your computer can’t actually drive all of those at once most likely, but the connection options are there.

1 Like

And so another example we all different.

I only want 1 HDMI, but I deem ethernet essential.

But there must be a more intelligent way of solving this, a modular design.

Maybe this is a better link:

2 Likes

This is the link I first posted, but the launch url insider provided seems to be the one Ankerofficial intended…

yes, we are different … different requirements … then again not everyone can be made happy :slight_smile:

the dock does not solve but complicates even further than the docking station I have for lenovo laptop … i can simply get a USB-C hub instead of a USB-C Splitter to HDMI…

Hope Anker creates a dock with more options (multiple HDMI ports, SSD, …)

I’m very excited for this. This will help immensely with my home office set up!

Good call @Shenoy @Insider @onstar so many responses and no issues raised…

Link updated until @AnkerOfficial can amend to the preferred option, launch or purchase…

1 Like

wow swiss army knife of ports

Thanks for updating it :+1:

And yes, this is the new link they’ve changed few hours ago

Thank you for bringing it up! You’ve noticed the change faster than I’ve been informed by our team lol :laughing:

3 Likes

It was a collective team effort by Anker community members :+1:

1 Like

wish it was more aesthetically pleasing/ minimalist

This is great, I can see where it has benefits but WOW it’s expensive. :money_mouth_face: