[New Release] PowerPort III 2-Port 60W

Looks like it is 60W max total output. So up to 60W using a single port. How does it split between the two ports? Guessing 30W each, like the Atom PD 2. But would appreciate confirmation.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s more flexible than that for Apple devices.

1 Like

Nice to see the interchangeable power plugs, does the output power get distributed intelligently? 45W +15W or 30W +30W? may be I am asking the same as @queuebitt

1 Like

Now, that would be a question for @AnkerOfficial, @AnkerTechnical, or @AnkerSupport.

1 Like

Thank you @Insider

@AnkerOfficial @AnkerTechnical @AnkerSupport can you please help answer the above question, thank you!

1 Like

As they state they test the needs every 3 minutes, that means they are turning power off and on and then let the device decide its pull.

The issue with that method is priority, they not numbered the ports so how do you know “first refusal”?

You cannot implement truly intelligent power distribution until you allow the user (us) to give hints as to what matters most.

Example of what I am wanting:

• 2 port device, numbered ports 1 and 2
  • port 1 is priority, it is turned on 1st, then allowed to settle on what it needs
  • port 2 is 2nd turned on, it is offered whatever is remaining
  • every few minutes, both ports turned off and the above repeats.

Example:

• port 1 is laptop
  • port 2 is a Powercore PD
  • it is most energy efficient to recharge laptop, until it lowers its needs, then unused power, increasing all the time as the laptop gets to fully charged, to the Powercore.
  • initially the Port 1 may be 45W, so Port 2 can not exceed 15W
  • later Port 1 drops to only need 30W, so Port 2 can be up to 30W
  • later Port 1 drops to say 10W, so Port 2 can be 50W.
5 Likes

Great idea… one charger to simultaneously charge my X1 carbon (needs at least 45W) and Pixel 3/S10+ is such a convenience. The interchangeable plugs are great for international travel.

Do want!

1 Like

The output power will distributed intelligently according to the apple device need.

For Android device, it will divide to 30w + 30w

2 Likes

I guess it’s a logistics/size thing but do you think a manual controlled variable output could be achieved in a charger?
So perhaps some kind of setting control for each socket to control the output?
Or am I just being stupid? :grimacing:
@AnkerOfficial what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers for sharing.

This may make the “I want” list

1 Like

it is disappointing to see the intelligence not there for all devices, it is not difficult, Anker could easily do.

You have numbered ports. The power is periodically turned off all ports, then port 1 is enabled and allowed to take all the power it needs. Then port 2. Then if multiple ports then the 3rd etc.

You’d then plug your laptop into port 1 and say your buds port 2, and Powercore port 3

As it wastes energy to recharge a battery from a battery, devices like laptops need to get all they want. Buds need a small power for a long time. Any spare power budget goes to Powercore.

This 30/30 split is dumb, it means say a laptop wanting 45W will only get 30W, while say a phone needing only 10W is given 30W so you’re only using 40W of 60W.

My method would get all power used, to all types of devices.

Manual altering power won’t work well, as a laptop recharges, it later drops it’s needs and so you’d want automatically use released power to other ports.

2 Likes

The words I am looking for and do not see anywhere are USB-C PD. Does this support the full USB-C power delivery spec? I assume it is similar, but the ad copy seems a little apple focused, and less standards focused.

1 Like

Nope, this is PowerIQ 3.0.

1 Like

Most likely, max 60 Watts total, but 60 watts can be sent to a single port.

Chargers seem to be getting bigger - you’d think a travel charger would be more compact

1 Like

I have a generic travel charger with folding pins for UK-USA-EU
It’s a decent size & reliable but quite slow by current standards - I’m looking to upgrade a

Or USB-A port :+1:

1 Like

Booo! :-1:

1 Like

Nah, let’s have a fully loaded USB-C charger.

1 Like