[New Release] PowerLine II 3-in-1 Cable

They have all sold out, both black and white. I guess anker wasnt anticipating such a high demand. Now to sit and wait for them to restock, hopefully by the time they restock i can use that promo code :cry:

1 Like

I’m hoping they can restock while the promo code is still valid as well. If not if not I’ll just have to wait for another promo code, or another brand to go on sale. :frowning:

1 Like

Darn, just missed them! Hope they come back in stock soon!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, the PowerLine II cables do come with the type-A -> type-C 56k ohm resistor, right?

I sent an email to Anker yesterday, but no reply. This cable is also not listed on the website where I can cross-check.

Is calling Anker the best solution?

1 Like

From what I have seen they do not, if you want a lifetime warranty and one that does then get This 3’ cable or The 6’ version

1 Like

I apologize for the double-reply, but I stumbled onto something. This cable, if the Amazon marketing is correct (which is not always true) allows 3A over type-A and that is one of the dangerous “no no” situations in the big type-C power debacle. See Benson Leung’s FAQ here: https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/HakwCMmd346

I’m no engineer, but one reason it may have been pulled (besides the typical low stock of new releases): any cable with type-A connectors is not allowed to transmit 3A of power. They must be limited to lower amperages; this is the purpose of the 56k ohm resistor.

The issue is that whatever charger you’re using: its type-A connectors and the charger’s internal circuitry were never designed with 3A in mind. That’s why essentially all USB chargers before type-C were limited to 2.4A. The type-A standard maxed out at 2.4A, so why overbuild your type-A chargers for something no device at the time could use?

However, this would be most peculiar because the PowerLine I (the original) type-A to type-C had a 56k ohm resistor.

I could be totally wrong, however. Does someone smarter than me understand the type-A/56k ohm resistor issue and can shed some light?

1 Like

OnePlus pushes 4A through their USB-A

1 Like

Oneplus also uses a 10k ohm resistor and not a 56k
@ikjadoon90 take a look at @@nigelhealy post USB to USB-C cable - with or without 56k pull up?

1 Like

Yes, we are planning on it!

That cable does have a 56k ohm resistor so the OnePlus phone + Dash cable can not pull 4A except when plugged into the Dash Charger (whose circuitry can deliver 4A per port). That’s what I’m getting at, right? The resistor is the key.

Ah, thank you for the reply. Interestingly, Anker has told me this cable does have a 56k ohm resistor…which would mean it is limited to 2.4A on type-C, no? Not the 3A as stated on Amazon?

Dear ikjadoon90,

Thanks for contacting Anker.

I understand your concerns. Please be advised PowerLine II 3-in-1 Cable comes with the needed 56k ohm resistor for all legacy type-A to type-C cables.

The OnePlus type-C to type-A uses a 10k resistor? Do you have a link handy to confirm that or? The teardown I found above states a 56k ohm resistor, which makes the most sense.

I agree with nigelhealy: his FAQ is the same FAQ I linked to :laughing: You do need the 56k ohm resistor in almost every case. The only situation you would not: every type-A port you will ever encounter is a OnePlus Dash charger. Otherwise, you–to quote nigel–“risk frying your charger.” The chargers can’t support the 3A.

Anker chargers aren’t immune, FWIW, which does make sense: they were designed with 2.4A maximum and the only person who’s been brave enough to test saw brownouts in his Anker charger when using a type-A to type-C cable without a 56k ohm resistor, Benson Leung:

The specification dictates that you MUST use a 56K pullup to identify as ‘Default USB Power’ source if you use a legacy cable in order to protect weaker chargers, hubs, and PCs that have been made in the last 18 years…

Using your bad USB cable, I have personally seen a high quality Anker charger in a brown out cycle continuously until I unplugged your cable and my Type C device charging from it.

But, Anker has confirmed the 56k ohm resistor. Whew. I will followup about how exactly they got 3A via type-C with a 56k ohm resistor, but I’ll chalk it up to a marketing mistake for now.

1 Like

Any news when this powerline II 3-In-1 cable will become available in black and in 6’?

@ikjadoon90 so I guess the newer phones use the 56k resistor where as the older ones used 10k, as explained Here by cofounder of oneplus

This is so proprietary, I have my own rule, I use DASH charger with supplied cable, or I use PowerIQ charger with an Anker USB-C cable. I do not cross-mix.

I currently have a OnePlus6, I have a DASH charger+cable by my bed, one in my work bag, and for travel I just use Anker for weight/consolidation. Had a successful solar panel test for 4 days with OnePlus and an Anker cable.

I have a 3 week off-grid I have planned in a month where I am exclusively off-grid, solar, Powercore, Powerline and OnePlus6. From the last experience I will use Anker Powerport Solar 2, a 3ft Powerline USB-C and 3ft MicroUSB, Powercore II 6700 and Powercore+ Mini, Soundbuds Life. Backup Powerport2 just in case.

1 Like

Was this cable pulled from the market for some sort of issue or simply sold out due to higher demand than expected?

I have three black ones and a white one for the wife that all work great (although not as fast as the OEM USB-C to lighting but that is to be expected) but can’t find the cable on the Anker website and Amazon has them listed as “currently unavailable” on both color variations…

1 Like

The are many cables like this, but nothing compared to the #Anker quality. nice :sunglasses:

1 Like

Simply temporarily out of stock

1 Like

UPDATE:

@C4RB1N3 @morningside74 @MacPantaloons @miula

If you’re interested, the white version is available to order again on Amazon, and good news: code ANKER436 still drops the price to $11.24! I would hurry, though.

1 Like

Thanks dude only seeing white though.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve been checking it daily and personally I’m waiting for black to come in stock. I’ve noticed availability on the white model getting pushed out further and further. One day it said August 2nd to be in stock and now when I check it says August 8th. I’m waiting for black in 3ft and 6ft if they ever made it.

1 Like

For anyone that was able to purchase this cable, were you able to achieve 3 amps output from the usb c adapter? I came across a youtube review of this cable and the user measured the max output via usb c and he barely pulled half an amp. Yet the amazon advertising states 3 amps via usb c.

3 Likes