Nebula 2 - so frustrated I want to cry

Hi, So I just got the Capsule II.
I am also first off experiencing many of the points you mentioned, but I figured out several fixes after maybe 6 hrs of work.

1: No Netflix.

• So there’s an App you can Install that’s called “Nebula Manager”.
  • You install it by clicking “Apps” and then on “Get more apps”
  • Once that’s installed, inside you have to navigate to “Discovery”
  • Then you can click on “Netflix”, (First time you do it: It will ask if its allowed to do bla bla bla, just hit “Allow”) and it will begin a download.
  • Then you have to click on “Netflix” again to install it. (First time you do it: A security message pops up, click “Settings”, go down to “Nebula Manager” and click OK so that it says “Allowed”. Then go back with the back arrow on the remote, and click “Install again”
  • Click Install (Again)
  • Click “Done”
  • Then you have to navigate to the channel tab, and make sure that Netflix has a little house symbol in the corner. (Click OK on the Netflix symbol)
  • Now this is the crucial step that fixed it for me. Go to the home menu, there you have to navigate all the way down to “Customize Channels”.
  • once there you have to enable the option for “Nebula Manager”, and then Netflix gets shown on the home screen.

2: I don’t use Facebook, so I haven’t looked into this too deeply. But perhaps you can download an APK File for Facebook (APK is a file-type extension that says that this file (facebook.apk) is an app for android) and then put that on the nebula capsule via the USB port (the term, should you want to research on this, is “sideloading”) So sideloading a Facebook APK might be an option here.

I’m assuming it works as follows: (I haven’t tried this out)

• Google for example facebook.apk
  • do some basic research that this file that you’re about to download is not malicious. Like download it from a credible source. I recommend apkmirror.com
  • download
  • put it on a stick (file-name.apk)
  • put the stick inside the Nebula II
  • On the nebula install a basic file explorer app (I have the official Anker app, it called “File Explorer” (make sure its by Anker)
  • Then somehow get the APK file from the stick onto the Nebula. (If you cant figure it out by yourself, can’t find anything on google, get back to me and I’ll see if I can help).

3: Also didn’t look too deep into this one, but again sideloading (point 2) might be an option.

4: I am also annoyed about this, especially as I contacted support before buying it and asked about this. She kindly explained to me that natively it isn’t possible, but through their app called “Airplay Receiver” in the “Nebula Manager” it would be possible. It doesn’t work for me.

5: I downloaded Puffin Browser, haven’t checked it out extensively yet, but it can display a basic website.

6: I think you mean the whole sideloading business (point 2)

7: Delete App:

• Navigate to where it actually says Apps (the round icon with the 9 squares in it)
  • hover over the the app you want to delete and press and hold the OK button on the remote.
  • Then a menu will show up where you can choose to “uninstall”.

– Alternative –

• go to settings
  • go to Apps
  • (If you don’t see your app, go down and select “See all apps”)
  • Click on the app you want to delete
  • Go down to “Uninstall”

8: Haven’t had any problems up to now.
But everyone is talking about it having no manual focus…
If you press and hold the HDMI button (the top right one) then it auto focuses, right?
But theennn, you can use the plus and minus buttons to manually tune the focus.

9: I cant even connect to the Nebula via the App, I’m still looking for help on that.
I open the app and it asks to what device I want to connect to. I choose Nebula II and then the loading screen comes on a loop and doesn’t stop (The square like infinity symbol)

The reason I don’t want to downgrade to the 1. Model is because of the significant hardware upgrade. If you’re looking for easier usability, I do recommend the 1. Model. Cheaper and you can screen mirror from IOS.

TIP:
1: Get better screen resolution

• Download an app called “Sideload launcher” from the Google Play store. This app looks for apps that are already installed on the Nebula (but hidden) and gives you an easy way to open these.
  • In it, go to the option “Droid Settings”
  • Go to"Display"
  • Go to “Screen resolution”
  • Go to “Display Mode”
  • Click the best option (for me 1080p-60hz) (on mine the 4th best option (720p-60hz) was selected by default for some reason)

In the app “Sideload Launcher” there is an app called “AppCrashController”.
The only option in that app is “Start Crash”. DO NOT PRESS IT.
It seemed harmless to me, but it kept crashing the entire system, to the point where I had to choose the option to completely wipe the nebula to factory defaults. Even pressing “Stop Crash” did not fix it. Don’t try it.

Hope I was of help to any future users experiencing some of the many problems that this device has.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. Great help. I wish these things were accessible from the beginning.

Same issue, anker nebula doesn’t have a solid solution except for their warranty. How about for owners whose warranty is already up? No service centre either.

Today I received my Capsule 2. From the first checks the button “-” on capsule, to decrease sound volume is not working, I updated software, restarted it, but button “-” still not working. I thought Is that something like feature from most of google devices ? like something broken by default from unpacked new device ?
But not, I confused myself and pushed button “back” instead of “-”. A bit confused interface, but my start is OK, everything is working as far as good, checked twitch, its not lagging. all good so far.

Please suggest me how to compete check my new device. What is not working from your side in Capsule 2 ?