Lenovo x270 USB-C and Anker Powerport PD

Cable delivered. Doesn’t work. Same sympton as before, laptop flashes its power light and does not show itself recharging. Debugging… beginning in BIOS then drivers. I would tend to think in this case the Lenovo model does NOT support USB-PD recharging, because if it did it would come with a USB-PD charger. I might have an older model than the one who’s spec says it supports USB-PD recharging.

1 Like

Oh, no! :cry:

Booted into BIOS, nothing there to enable, device settings, nothing there.

This could be…

This specific Anker Powerport does not interoperate to Lenovo’s requirements. So Anker and Lenovo does not get along.
Or, bad Powerport.

I don’t own any other products to debug. I won’t buy any more either!

1 Like

I wouldn’t say its bad, or doesn’t support PD but rather than you do not have enough power to sufficiently charge it. The one you have only outputs 30W, so maybe that is below the threshold for it to charge properly

1 Like

:frowning:
But at least I own another useless cable and $20 poorer which may eventually become useful.

This is too hit’n’miss to throw serious $ at it. If I come across someone else’s higher spec PD charger I’ll try theirs.

1 Like

Maybe that’s the case, but you would think it would still trickle charge at least. Either way, it’s unfortunate.

The port on the Powerport does work, it can recharge a non-PD tablet wanting 5V 2A, and one wanting 5V 3A so its output’ing. I suspect its a comptability issue, which plaqued Anker’s PD products 2017

The Powerport 5 USB-C (non PD) does not charge the 5V 3A tablet, but the Choetech one does.

The Choetech USB-C cable does work with the Powerport5-C but my new today Anker Powerline II cable does not.

All very hit’n’miss, seems random luck of combinations.

1 Like

Ouch that sucks sorry bud. Hope you get it working

1 Like

Nigel,

I work for a Lenovo partner. If you want to PM me the model and serial of the laptop, I am happy to take a look at some documentation for you and get a definitive answer on USB-C charging.

Might help narrow any issues down for you…

3 Likes

Nigel,

Just sent you a PM

Implies is the correct word.
USB-C is able to charge a laptop. So is USB-micro (my laptop uses that).
But far from all manufactures actually support it.
Having a certain shaped plug doesn’t automatically mean that it can be used for charging. And if it can it doesn’t grantee it can charge as fast as USB-C supports.

Just checking I not missed any Anker products which do 45W PD. The only ones I noticed is the Atom 4 and the 60W Powerport Speed PD 60 . Anything else?

You can always get This
It’s a PowerPort Speed 1, 60w PD wall charger which should be sufficient to charge your laptop now

I just left my Thinkpad charger behind today at a meeting so bought this for a spare $35. Hope it works or it joins the mountain of PD stuff which doesn’t work. I’d expect a Atom 2 be out some time but Anker is just s.l.o.w.

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial on Twitter just said they don’t have plans for an Atom PD 2, and the last we heard from @AnkerOfficial on here is that it would be six months. :confused: And who knows? It might not even use GaN!

Interestingly, the first atoms took 380,000 years to emerge after the Big Bang. Hopefully Anker is a little faster. Atom 2, also known as Helium was in smaller quantities than Atom 1, Hydrogen.

(a cosmology joke).

2 Likes

Emphasis on little.

1 Like

The Powerport PD 60W works! I basically now have a travel charger for my Thinkpad. At last something works!

3 Likes

Glad it’s working for ya. And good to know cause I was looking at getting one myself

1 Like

Yeah for the wattage its pretty small. I don’t need as much as 60W, need only 45W but Anker don’t make 45W.

Nice little package with the USB C 3.1 cable I got last year.

1 Like