How to Protect Your Batteries in Winter

Thank you for the valuable information! great article!!:blush:

2 Likes

Wow, never realized this till now

1 Like

Very interesting article. I remember how frustrating that iPhone X bug was when it froze up and wouldn’t respond.

1 Like

That’s awesome to know! I wondered why sometimes my phone would just turn off while I was running in the winter! Now I know. It was with an old Samsung galaxy S4.

1 Like

This is a really neat article! I had never thought about how cold weather affects batteries. I, as well as most of you, have seen the alert a phone has given when it is too hot outside. Namely, an iPhone will say something like it needs to cool down before it can be used.

I lived in Michigan and never saw a too cold alert, but I imagine that if I would have been holding it outside instead of rushing to get inside because it was cold I may have experienced a sudden shut down.

Whoa, I did not think about this. What about laptops too? Because I know sometimes I pick it up and it is really cold, is that damaging too? I will keep this in mind for my phones that I have in the house. Thank you for this article, very useful!

Essential article for everyone on the northern countries. I learned my lesson after having an iPhone 5 die on me several times during its first winter in Canada. I tried to turn it on while still outside, only to have it die again shortly after, and my battery was never the same. Silver lining, tough, that’s how I got to know Anker!

Now I know better, on top of always having my trusted Anker powerbank with me, I try to minimize the phone use outside when it’s really cold, and keep my battery topped as much as possible.

1 Like

Humidity can be a concern you sweat all the time even when cold and if under layers of clothing the humidity would be high. The water vapor physically inside the phone, which is vapor when next you as its warm, would then condense inside the phone when you took the phone out and it began to cool. The air outside is naturally drier when cold as when that air was cooled it got rid of its water (rain, snow) and then when that cold air is warmed up it becomes very low humidity - so when you visit cold places usually cracked lips occur.

Warm, yes but not next to skin warm, more coat pocket warm.

Here in USA I travel and have to cover daily change from 70F to 10F in winter. In extreme situations i make heavy use of BT buds and a smartwatch. Good example use case needing of good voice recognition on BT buds.

Well, I didn’t know that.

I knew lithium was more sensitive to cold n would drain quicker, even if not used.

I didn’t know, turning g a phone back on when the cold has “frozen it” or just drained it, would damage the battery.

Living in South West England, it’s rarely freezing, let alone colder than about -4 C° (and that’s more wind chill than actual temp).

@AnkerTechnical , is this due to that email I sent you recently?

This is interesting I knew phones were sensitive to low temps (and high) but I never realized just how sensitive they were. That is until the other day my brother’s phone shutoff at about 30F even though it was charging through his drones controller. And now I read this. You rarely think of the chemistry in your phones more just the software and hardware.

Fortunately we’re getting face unlock

But you may look a little different.

6 Likes

leave the phone in your pocket

Yes, I think so. I realized this in one winter, when I tried to charge my Macbook. I left it in the cold bedroom table charging, for a whole day and went out, but came home later finding that the laptop is not even charged at all. I was afraid that it might be faulty. Then I searched the internet, and found that many people encounter this in the winter.

So I put the Macbook on my bed and turned on the air conditioner, it started to charge fast as normal!

We’ve had a few questions about the charging problem in winter, so we decided to explain it a bit here in the forum. Thank you for all the valuable suggestions! :grin:

But the question is if you really want to be outside by -24 degree or not just stay somewhere, where it is warm.

I have no choice, gotta work . Cold or not bills don’t pay themselves

Great information!

That’s why this is my favorite winter position:

1 Like

Me too… when I punch out everyday, I have to keep my hands moist…otherwise the machine can’t collect my fingerprint…