Solved! Help me choose a new phone

personally, I prefer Samsung

1 Like

Wouldn’t be having any of these queries if you chose and iPhone :slight_smile:

iPhone 8 Plus [Product Red] for me
I’m not fussed on the X now.

Not sure what it’s like over with you but on Facebook Market place there are loads selling off phones well cheap because they don’t like them and have bought a new one.

Worth a look, might pick up a bargain.

I’m not sure if the OnePlus 5(T?) Works. On the other side you can’t get it anymore. I think for $300 is the essential a really good phone

I myself am looking at phones right now also, so I can let you know my feelings at this point to hope it helps.

I discounted out the U11 and essential phones because while they seemed like nice phones, the features and abilities just werent all what I was looking for.

I played around with a oneplus and it was okay, the stripped down software was nice, but I couldnt justify the price of a feature phone for a stripped variant.

I have no experience with Huawei so I didnt bother even looking at one, nor could I pull the trigger on an iPhone (yet lol)

I am narrowed down to the Galaxy line and the Pixel line. Both are very similar, come in 2 screen sizes and have all of the features I am looking at. As it stands I do believe the Pixel is the one I look at most; they are bloat free, have guaranteed updates for longer than the galaxy, and I really have yet to hear someone complain about one in the circles I run. Galaxies have nice battery life, a longer history of producing solid phones (discounting the note 7 of course), and they have a seemingly never ending supply of accessories and add ons. The thing I dont like is the bloatware and what can only be described as a “hit or miss” reliability.

If you were on a budget, you could also look for Pixel XL 1st gen. They are about 275 to 300 USD certified refurb on amazon, still have update support through this year and have most of the same abilities as the Pixel 2XL.

I suggest looking at xfinity mobile (if you have comcast internet). It runs on Verizon network so signal quality is awesome.
I moved to xfinity mobile in Aug last year and got 2 lines. Voice/sms are free and unlimited. First 100 mb data is free and then its $12 per gb or $45 unlimited.
Me and my wife’s combined bill per month is $16.xx (inc taxes).
BTW I have iphone SE and wifey has iPhone 6 on xfinity (both unlocked) and have visual voicemail and hotspot at no cost.
Look into it…

Huge fan of Samsung Pay, and I think it in its own right is enough to justify and edge out pure android as an incredible feature that only the S9 (and other samsung phones have). Keeping a digital wallet, an independent points system, and works on non-NFC terminals is huge in my opinion.

Hey guys, thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I got to spend some time using both the pixel 2 xl and the s9 plus last night at work. While both phones are great and serve there purpose based on how they will be used, I found myself liking the s 9 plus way more, the screen is simply amazing and its blazing fast. The Pixel is great, but the screen shows burn ins way to easily.

So, with that said and great consideration I decided to go with and order the Samsung Galaxy S9 plus. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments

4 Likes

Why not buy an unlocked cellphone from Amazon? It broadens your choices and is cheaper sometimes

Already ordered a phone as per my previous post.

But to answer your question, most unlocked phones do not work on Verizon and that’s the only service that will work at my house

If you need a Samsung Pay referral let me know, we both get $5 visa gift card :slight_smile: on first made purchase.

(Update: They got rid of the referral program :’( )

From what I saw its still in effect, but now it’s 1 time per account

We are in the same boat. We use prepaid via Net10 and had decent service for years. Because of this we use the same phones for years. My wife got an iPhone 5 from a friend I used an iPhone 4 until my work required a newer phone to run its apps. I got a free Samsung Galaxy S4 from a friend that got the boot load loop bug, So I got an LG G4 it now has issues and needs to be replaced (all sorts of issues). So now we both need new phones. The wife wants an unlocked iPhone 8 and I trying to decide if I want the same or get a Android phone.

The issue with android phones is they seem to last about two years before they start having issues. I can’t afford to spend 800+ bucks on a new phone every two years.

The phones you have listed are the ones I have been drooling over for the last few months. They are all great phones. I really like the specs on the Galaxy S9 and the Huawei Mate 10 has good potential as well.

The research I found on the OnePlus 5 is it made not work on US cell towers as well as they would over seas.

Have you thought about the Razer Phone? Its a nice big phone that is great for gaming and has nice audio. Another good choice would be the S9+. If I didn’t get my iPhone 8+ for free, I would have bought the S9+. Was my first choice.

I looked at the Razor phone but from what I gathered it doesn’t work on Verizon, so that’s a no go for me.

@Element321 doesn’t it suck, when things go bad it seems everything does. These phones are great and it honestly took me using them to figure which one I wanted. The only phone I didn’t have hands on with was the oneplus, and Huawei phone since nobody has one around here.
Your right about how long android phones last, but I have to disagree at the same time because I have 4 year old androids that still work…heck even my galaxy s3 still works, but that screen is too small and it’s not gast enough anymore to handle my multi tasking

I found they still work. But they are slower and many of the apps (at least the ones I use no longer work or they are sooo slow that I won’t use them). I have an iPhone and iPad that are around that 4 years if not older they still work but are slow. I find they are more stable than my Android devices of that same era.

If I could get my S4 running again without paying to get it fixed I would still be using that phone. It took decent pictures and was quick enough to get the job done.

I saw on another post you ordered your phone. Which one did you end up ordering ?

I ended up ordering the Galaxy s9+, the screen and speed sold me on it. Plus I was able to run multiple programs without slowdown so that’s what I need. The Pixel was great, but it gets screen burn in too easily. I had my music player on screen all night and when I got off work and went to a white screen I could still visibly see my media player on screen even though I had it closed

1 Like

Sounds like a great option. I was thinking about the pixel but I may wait for the next version.

For $300 the essential phone is easily the best value on the board. The camera has improved a great deal and you’ll be running stock Android with quick updates for awhile.

Personally, I’ve been drawn back into Apple. I just missed the ecosystem (iMessage, airdrop, apple watch, etc). If you look online you can find a near new iPhone X for like $600 and that makes it a great value.

2 Likes