Gaming laptop or gaming desktop?

I play my games on ps4
Do any of you play fortnite?

1 Like

PCs have other long-term advantages. As noted by @ndalby you can peicemeal upgrade a Tower PC type over the years, incremental changes like faster / larger RAM, faster SSD, faster graphics card, and then replace the motherboard and cpu and then replace the components attached, and ride a sweetspot curver over years, so long as you get a big enough case to handle popular motherboards.

Further the wear+tear components like keyboard where grime and accidents leads to worsening keys is a cheap part, the tower out of the way, mouse similar, and even USB ports can be on a daughter card you can replace.

The issue is the portability.

One way around the portability is to RDP into your desktop from a lightweight lower power cheaper device and remotely control the application which needs high performance. You can port-forward the RDP port. Personally I use a small Raspberry Pi device and do RDP over SSH and forward the SSH port off the router, then all traffic is encrypted.

You can also use Wake on Lan to allow your power hungry PC to go to sleep and you wake it up via a command off the Raspberry Pi.

That portable device can then be sat a Chromebook or lower end Windows 10 device. Chromebook does RDP badly out the box but you can put into Developer Mode then use Crouton to run Linux then rdp client.

A powerful laptop is expensive, doubly so if you drop it and break it, and repairs and upgrades expensive and usually impossible if not immediately then soon.

Typed on an Android tablet to which I can RDP to a Windows VM running Visio and on which I do ffmpeg media recoding.

2 Likes

I would not recommend such"all in one" computers.
Yes, thees might be a little bit easier to transport.
BUT :
We had such ones in the university I was working for.
(I remember these were from LENOVO). If there was a broken part, it was not easy to change and of course you need exactly!! the same model of this part as replacemwent. In a usual desktop computers you can change components more easily und upgrade these of course.

The same thoughts has nigelhealy. I fully agree with him!

3 Likes

Do you need monitor, mouse and keyboard?

Do you have any components currently I.e a ssd or storage drives?

I’ll price you best bang for buck once I know that.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, got everything but the computer, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Speaker ETC.

I prefer desktop as it’s easier to upgrade.

1 Like

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HxxQV6

Something like that.

6 core 12 thread cpu for your blender needs. Overclockable via the B350 motherboard for squeezing more out in the future when you can afford a better cooler.

1050ti for your gaming/Photoshop needs

Only 8GB ram via 1 stick so easy upgrade in future when prices are more reasonable.

No OS however, so depending on your technical know how this may need to be added, you can get licence keys from various places with varying degrees of legality.

I used to prefer gaming laptops. If you are going considering desktop then you also need a good gaming monitor as well. I know PCs are easy to upgrade but I like portable devices more.

I think that the best choice is a desktop because the laptop is not so powerful. Personally, I am playing Dota2 on dota2-boost.com . Did you try it? Here are so many opportunities. For example, While your account is at work, you can chat with your booster. This is your chance to learn something new from a professional and get useful tips. Besides this, you can monitor the progress of your boost from your personal account, including detailed statistics of past matches.
So, I am amazed by this game and I recommend it to everyone.