First Black Hole pictures

Distractions can not be removed. Humans get distracted because they are too smart. Humans can focus on more than one thing at a time (more or less), so when they are in a lecture, they will always be bored. So they find something else to do. If they don’t have any sort of distraction (phonesc magazines etc.), than they will just daydream.

This problem is getting worse among the younger generation, Because it’s endorsed by their parents. That’s the problem with all the terms we use to discribe this “misbehavior”. ADHD, ADD etc.

Parents are encouraging this problem.

Btw, I’m not saying your wrong. I’m just adding to the conversation :grin:

Trust me, even if I have nothing else do distract me I can be distracted by the lecturer being boring and I go off and think about something else.

Or by a girl.

Or by a bird on the tree outside.

Or doodling in a scrapbook.

The distractions are timeless, what you are distracted by is of its age.

I’d be guarded with the things-are-worse pitfall, its always been like this, that “kids these days” and “in my day”.

Yes, that’s my point. You can’t even deny that parents encourage this behavior though. That’s why we have these terms. (ADHD, ADD etc.).

Also, kids are more prone to be distracted anyway. But that even means you as a kid :grin:

I saw the black hole, YEARS ago.

Just after the first operation on a cyst on my bum! Hahahaha :hole:

On a serious note…
It’s amazing, and the bit so far, is larger than our universe (don’t tell the ex, cos she thought it revolved around her!) And that photo is 50+ million (or is it billion) years old!

According to the methodology you are using, it is 55 million years old. Because it is 55 million light years away, what we see it as, is 55 million years ago.

ADHD exists. However, not in the numbers they’re saying, same with people shouting… I’m dyslexic!

Lazy kids and worse lazy parents n parenting is to blame for 85% of ADHD claims, but some are genuine. I feel the same for parents claiming… The kid is autistic spectrum… bollox for the vast majority. Which is a shame, cos the kids with GENUINE issues are being let down by so many.claiming it. It’s getting watered down.

To quote the good book… spare the rod, spoil the child. Now I’m not condoning whipping.your child, bit I am saying … discipline the brat. Mean no when you say it, keep to any threats (you do that again, I’ll remove your TV… then.cos you’re a lazy parent TV stays put… victory to the naughty child).

We’ve become too soft the other way now, and kids are growing up not.learning what no means, that actions have consequences etc.

I completely agree with that entire post. ADHD is real, just not common. And parents should discipline there children. No need to cause long lasting paint or effects though :wink:

I’m excited for all the space stuff I will be able to see in this lifetime and all the advances with technology

1 Like

NASA isn’t making very much progress. At this point I don’t even support them anymore…

I support SpaceX! Elon musks company! That’s what I call innovation!

NASA is FUNDING SpaceX indirectly. NASA moved from developing its own rockets and just buy cargo space from commercial firms, therefore not competing but investing in the commercial capacity.

So funding of NASA is a lot less now as its sharing and so reducing the cost via paying for cargo.

Your point would be valid if NASA competed against SpaceX to sell cargo space and NASA did it more expensively.

1 Like

You make no sense. SpeceX is more innovative than NASA. So I support SpaceX… end of story.

Even if nasa supports SpaceX, I might as well donate directly to SpaceX so that I’m not paying executives at NASA paychecks…

Not true.

Adults are distracted by more life experience meaning a mature mind leaves the room due to a memory of something, while children can focus on something if its interested as there’s less in their mind going on.

This is partly why women have monopause and human lifespan exceed the reproductive lifespan so older people can balance out younger period, blending the high plasticity of the young brain with the experience of the older brain.

If I were to ask for our species to do more of is being skeptical, to challenge, not assume something is true, or assume it is false - cognitive bias - but doubt and experiment and test and verify. Children are born with curiosity but also gullibility. The curiosity is easily suppressed “because I said so” and gullibility as shown by Santa Claus. If we could do more of “how do you know?” “prove it” , “where is your evidence”. Because the correct person has the answers and so transports knowledge not opinion and the false person is shut up faster.

I disagree… I’ve dealt with many children, and many adults.

How long?

You measured it in a double-blind trial over the last 50+ years?

Hint. Science.

1 Like

Hint: science isn’t always right.

Science proved for many years, that magots “spawn” in your food if you leave it out over night.
Science has been wrong many times…

Wow. You have totally misunderstood science.

Science is when you use observations and theories and predictions. As you get new observations they form better theories and better predictions. Suppose you only saw Red apples, and so said “all apples are red”, and then you saw a green apple, then you disproved the theory.

A confident gullibility is weaker than a humble ignorance because knowing the weakness in your data is your doubt and how you seek the next level of truth, but to think you’re right using a subset of reality is failure.

Currently none have disproved GR but it is being constantly tested. Eventually probable a better theory of GR will arise - would you say therefore GR is wrong and not use it? GR is what is accurately being used to make your phone GPS work, but if GR was found flawed would you then throw away your GPS? No. Newton’s theory of Gravity accurately calculated many things, the planets and moon motions, but there was a precession of the planet Mercury which was not explained, and GR helped form a better theory of Gravity. Even though GR shows Newton wrong, we still use Newton “classical mechanics” as its simpler and good enough away from high relativistic velocities and strong gravity. GR does not include quantum mechanics so we know GR is incomplete.

The plural of anecdotes is not evidence.

1 Like

No. It was only a hypothesis… there is a difference.

And there is no need to be degrading. I know what science is. I’m done talking to you. I feel like I’m talking to a brick wall.

A hypothesis is a part of the scientific method isn’t it

Yes. Hypothesis, than theory, than scientific law

Not hypothesis then theory then law. Law is a summary, theory is an explanation. Newton had Laws, but not explanations. Einstein had some explanations but not a complete one (the key one is how exactly does energy bend space-time, we can observe it does but not how it does it, the graviton in a field theory is hypothesized but there’s no experimental data).

The plural of anecdotes is not a hypothesis as it has to be tested, independently verified. So in the case of “children these days” you cannot use personal evidence, all it would give you a personal interest to explore your hypothesis.

There is scant scientific evidence the young are getting worse at concentration. That does not mean it isn’t happening, just one needs to gather one’s evidence. Burden of proof on the person making the claim.

One can take a view there is and then gather evidence but a claim from personal evidence is just an anecdote.

2 Likes