EufyCam - connecting to home WiFi

to have reliable security cameras that still work when your power goes off it might be necessary to add an additional Network that is battery backed up like they eufy home and the soon to come out HomeBase booster.

Homebase booster to come out in Q1 of 2019

Unfortunately not, mostly due to security and compatibility reasons.

We will be coming out with range extenders in Q1 of 2019. Keep an eye out!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great news and will certainly look out for that! However I am disappointed that the current range isnā€™t so great but thatā€™s all Iā€™m disappointed in by the way (apart from the planned added functionality sooner rather than later :-))

1 Like

The Arlo SmartHub that comes with the recently announced Arlo Ultra will allow cameraā€™s to connect to the existing Wi-Fi network.
From their press release:

Arlo Ultra comes with the new, advanced Arlo SmartHub which connects to the userā€™s router to provide extended Wi-Fi range to Arlo cameras

Source: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2018/ARLO-ULTRA.aspx

I guess eufyCam firmware can be upgraded to allow similar functionality. Please consider adding this feature.

3 Likes

Interesting! Weā€™ll forward this to our team. Thanks!

4 Likes

Itā€™s is always more secure to be on a segregated network. I would prefer range extenders but I understand the want for people to maintain only one network

2 Likes

Iā€™m not buying those arguments :wink:

Ocean network uses WPA2, right? How is it different from something I can setup on my AP? 802.11n is standard so what compatibility issues?

1 Like

Wellā€¦ Iā€™ve purchased 2 camera, one was intended to be placed at the end of my garden.
Iā€™ve placed a wifi extender in my garden to ensure Iā€™ve a good signal. I understand now that it was useless, as the base is not powerfull enough to cover the distance and there is no connection to my main wifi network.

By the way, the camera are working fine when Iā€™m close to the base, but on the 1st floor of my house it is not (base is in the cellar).

1 Like

We are going to be coming out with range extenders in Q1 of 2019. Keep your eyes peeled!

And for those of us who backed the project on Kickstarter --and for whom the current ā€œrangeā€ of the system has been deplorable to the point of uselessness-- these will be provided free of charge, yes?

Iā€™ve read the previous posts, so Iā€™m aware of this announcement.
But can you tell us a bit more? If I place the extender inside my house, will it be able to propagate the signal until the bottom of my garden? Will it be ā€œweather resistantā€?
At least I want to be able to connect my own wifi, even if you say it is not secure. Thatā€™s my choice.

i try and keep all my smart tech on a separate network. I would include the cameras in this group. Most tech devices are secure enough but studies have shown that many of the devices are not as secure as they should be and some of the off brands have next to no security. Being an old IT guy with a little Security training I keep all my private data locked down on a faster private network.

Itā€™s not about whether or not youā€™re WiFi is secure the cameras and home base have a battery backup built in that will keep your system working through Power outs.

1 Like

What if I have my wifi infrastructure connected to UPS already? :wink:

1 Like

Yes, there are constraints if the system is connected to a home wifi (power outs, security,ā€¦).
But at least let the customer make his choices.
I want to use my camera mostly as a webcam in my garden. No need for high security, I just want to connect itā€¦ which is not possible at the moment.

I donā€™t buy home wifi as a security concern. If someone wants battery backup, itā€™s a UPC away. Having two separate wifi networks in the same house is just bad design. If I already have a mesh network running, now I need to build another one? Donā€™t try to be a wifi company, try to be a security camera company.

Having a separate network is best practice for camera systems and also allows anker to work within their own network for troubleshooting

When you have things like this

And this

Iā€™d rather it be on its own network

yes I do wish they had incorporated a mesh network so the home base could sit almost anywhere and the cameras & sensors connect through each other to give a vast range but it doesnā€™t

thereā€™s an extender coming out soon, hopefully with a built-in battery

We should all get 30% off from the $3M stretch goal, hopefully the other devices are released at the same time as well

1 Like

Those news definitely makes me not want to connect any cameras to the home wifi. Iā€™m currently looking for solutions and you just made it easier for me. Thanks.

Range extenders seem to be the only way I can use my system. I moved my homebase to a central window at the front of my house and still cannot connect my two cameras at opposite corners of the front of my home due to weak signal.

I will wait, again, until the end of Q1, for extenders, before I sell this system for scrap and move on to Ring or something similar. :frowning: