Cord Cutters: How much do you save?

Wow, tough situation. It’s a shame that infrastructure is slow to reach rural areas. I understand the ROI standpoint - there are fewer clients, after all - but the government should subsidize more infra to those places. I’m sure more people would be OK moving to rural areas if they had better internet access - I know a lot of people who would, specially those whose work doesn’t demand on-site presence every day. This movement would decrease city density and, ultimately, would be better for everyone.

It’s good that you have options, but I wish you wouldn’t need to shell out 2K to access it.

1 Like

been very tempted to cut the cords but with 2 kids who still watch disney channel I just haven’t found a way to do it. And there is now a monthly cap on bandwidth with my internet so it make it extremely harder. But lucky with directv you can always call in and try to get a deal so I was able to bring down my tv down to 60 a month for a year instead of 120 or so but I won’t be counting on that going on forever.

You could always get a sling box so you can stream the Disney Channel and get away from cable. My sister did this for my niece

@TechnicallyWell as a moderator you know how to make polls, would this have suited a poll?

(and wondering when how to do polls becomes public currently it is just a limited few know how)

1 Like

I have used Slingbox for about 8 years now. What it primarily solves is bad Internet, it adapts to slower network and presents a watchable experience. Good example locations is when on free hotel wifi and the guests are watching p…n sports.

Slingbox has got smaller and faster over the years.

Now you mention it… it makes me think I may do myself a service via connecting it to the HDMI output of a Raspberry Pi type server which is running a desktop, because that could solve a few problems.

However, the ability to download media is your friend, I barely ever watch streaming media now with network hiccups, I download to offline then view from offline, it just helps through Wifi hiccups etc. All my devices have 64GB minimum storage. I am usually at 90% full and delete that 2 year old series I never had the mood to watch.

To make downloaded media work well I sometimes I post-process the media using ffmpeg to slowly shrink the MP4 without losing noticeable quality. What that means even in 64GB I’ll have weeks worth of stuff with me for any situation of bored in a bad/no network.

1 Like

What kids tend to do is repeat watch, the TV channels just repeat the same thing many times. So what you can do is download something and then recode it to a smaller MP4 and put on a NAS which then is streamed locally. It reduces kids Internet bandwidth a lot.

I also know it involves you being a geek.

Even here in Munich we mostly use the old copper cables for telefon and internet connections. Only some small parts of the city have glass fibre connections.

It’s really a shame that our lousy government is using public money for many tasks which are really not useful for the Germans :angry:
I have to stop, not to start a political discussion!

Save tons of money. Use Internet as cable because I am a savage :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

Aren’t you a teacher? Use that school .edu email address and get Prime for $49.99 a year. I use my old .edu and it has worked going on 3 years now

[quote=“TechnicallyWell, post:1, topic:58980, full:true”]
I now pay:

• $35 for YouTube TV
  • $10 for Netflix
  • I also have Amazon Prime, but I subscribed to that even when I had cable, so I did not include that in my cost.[/quote]

We started YouTube TV 11 months ago (on day 1 in the Los Angeles market). Just added Netflix last month. Been Amazon Prime member since forever ago. Zero regrets.

What I love most about YouTube TV:
I can control almost everything through Google Home. “Hey Google, play The Voice on Living Room” and it will turn on my TV, and play the latest unwatched episode of NBC’s The Voice through Chromecast. My 3 year old crappy Vizio TV will power on when the signal comes through Chromecast. I can also FF/REW/Pause/Play through voice commands.

1 Like

True, a poll could have worked. However, I was interested in each person’s story and cost breakdowns of cutting the cord.

Pretty sure the disney app will be out soon enough here. Have heard rumors of netflix pricing, while I also heard a rumor they will try and pull away from traditional tv in favor of pushing their app hard.

Is this little Kim? :wink:

1 Like

Air Antenna + Plex + Amazon Prime is all you need - 100$ a month savings

2 Likes

Yikes! That’s a great idea! I am a teacher!

2 Likes

I don’t know much about the US and it’s stresming services but saw this post and thought it was 1 hell of a deal

3 Likes

That is a great deal!

1 Like

Yes, it is. We claimed the deal when it was $140 if I am recalling correctly, and it was for the OG Apple TV 4 (not 4K). I think we can claim one more, but haven’t decided to as of now… at least not yet.

1 Like

Says 4K on the advert :slight_smile: