Anker Powerline Cable Series Comparisons - II, +II, III, and +III

@wanderr @professor
A quick scan on Amazon returned this but it looks like A only.
I’m interested in getting a meter but it’s a minefield out there.
If either of you find anything that ticks all the boxes tag me in!
I’ll do the same in return.

WOVELOT 12 in 1 USB Tester Dc Digital Voltmeter Voltage Current Meter Ammeter Detector Power Bank Charger Indicator Blue Shell White Backlight

This looks ok, not so keen on the price though @wanderr @professor

UM34C USB Tester Power Meter USB Voltage Tester Current with Bluetooth USB Voltmeter Ammeter Multimeter Tester, 1.44 Inch Color LCD Display USB 3.0 Type- C Cable Resistance Load Impedance Meter

That’s one of the better reviewed.

As I don’t personally own, I can’t recommend, if I tried I’d simply be scanning reviews like you can and you’d get a false sense of confidence from my recommendation.

You’ll just have to make the best choice from reviews and let us know how it goes.

I’m still ploughing through these. This section explains why you want higher voltage over longer cables.

This one derives Ohm’s law from atomic structure and then shows why bad cables should be avoided.

The meters I have can detect resistance in the cable. The challenge is USB PD sends data so if I don’t get a USB PD meter it won’t work.

1 Like

@Insider @TechMan

We’re stuck reading tea leaves when Anker should provide us with this information. Say, a matrix on the Anker site as well as the Amazon product pages comparing the features and functionality of the different cables. Or a wizard that customers could walk through, where they’re asked questions about their specific goals. Or an FAQ, for goodness sake.

All the money we spend on Anker products, all our customer loyalty – and Anker effectively sends the message that they’d rather befuddle users into buying the latest and most expensive items. Seriously. I see no other explanation, when I look at all the posts over the years on the Anker forum and other sites from consumers simply trying to make informed purchase choices

If anyone on this thread either has a line to Anker employees, or a following on Twitter or other sites, I urge you to raise this issue.

I appreciate the deep dives and thoughtful conversation on this thread – thank you! I came here trying to understand:

(1) If I should get the powerline II or III for all purpose cables, use with Android cell phones, Mac laptops, and Chromebooks.

(2) If there’s a difference in data transfer for USB-C to USB-A among the powerline versions. Specifically, I need to connect a monitor that uses USB-C to a mac desktop that only has USB-A ports, and I want to avoid latency with items plugged into the monitor: the web cam, keyboard, and mouse .

(3) If there’s a potential latency issue in the above USB-C to USB-A scenario if I use a long cable, say 10ft vs 6ft.

2 Likes

All Anker cables are good.

Rule 1: So just buy the lowest cost Anker cable at the time of the length and type you want. Don’t believe any hype, the need of the cable will expire before the cable is worn with Anker cables. Example, 12000 bend wear cable, use cable twice a day, two bends each use, 4 bends a day = 8 years. So a 30000 bend wear cable is way over the top over-engineered. The port type and the protocol will die before the cable dies even for the basic Anker cable.

Rule 2: Shorter is better, more efficient. More so for the lower voltage 5V type protocols (e.g. more so for the USB-A to Lightning cables) and less of an issue for higher voltage 9V, 12V, 15V, 20V USB-PD (e.g. most Android newer phones).

Rule 3: Consider desk chargers over wall chargers so the USB cables are shorter, more so if you have the lower voltage protocols. The desk charger has a 110V-230V C8 cord to get long distance efficiently so shorter USB cables can be more efficient.

Rule 4: Buy a Powercore. It makes everything become much less important. If you get a Powercore, even a small one, the cost is low around $10-$30 depending on size, and to a degree smaller is better it is with you all the time so you can use it more often. Then your phone is never flat anyway, and so you’re never in battery angst, never needing a fast recharge from the wall socket. People with a Powercore can get by with any charger, any cable, as a result.

Rule 5: All things Apple are technically inferior and make anything Anker specific irrelevant. Apple has technically inferior charging technology, they are lower Wattage, so the power losses in the cables are lower. Your most important decision is to ditch anything Apple, more important decision than choice of Anker cable.

3 Likes

I’ve found that braided cords, no matter which brand, last longer than the rubber usb cords. The rubber cords tend to start tearing away from the connector within a year, no matter which device you have - Apple or Android.

This is where I’m stuck today, trying to decide which cable to get. Should it be the Powerline II, regular Anker, Powerline III as long as it’s a usb-c to lightening cable that will work with this USB C Charger, Anker 65W 4 Port PIQ 3.0 & GaN.:weary::weary:

Have any Anker cables failed for you?

1 Like

No, I’ve never used them. I’m confused about which to but to buy with the wall charger. While doing my research, :wink: PCMag said the Powerline II was the one to get. However, I see there are regular Anker premiums that are usb c to lightening, and this one that’s on sale for Prime Day…

USB C to Lightning Cable, Anker New Nylon USB-C to Lightning Charging Cord for [6 ft MFi Certified]

Is there a difference!?!? :woman_shrugging:t3:

The important things to consider:

USB port type.

USB-C to Lightning has a 18W (soon 20W) maximum.
USB-A to Lightning is 12W maximum.

So you’re better off in the long term buying a USB-C port and a C to Lightning cable. 18W - 20W is using 9V so the current is 2A-2.2A, the 12W is 2.4A, a slightly higher current. So higher current loses more in the cable, so a A-Lightning cable will lose more of the 12W than the C-Lightning cable will lose less of the 18W-20W.

If your phone is so old it is not 18W-20W then these are future benefits of any cables and chargers you buy now.

Of the chargers with USB-C ports, it’s form factor, port count, you need to think about, what other devices.

If someone with an Iphone randomly stopped me in the street and on threat of torture demanded to know the best charger, I’d likely tell them to get this:

They can’t get wrong.

If they said they also had some buds and other things then I’d likely them tell them to get this

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-pd-2/A2625121

IF they mentioned iPads and laptops then I’m more into this (waiting a discount for it)

1 Like

I just ordered the Anker 63/4. It’s on discount now for Prime Day!!! All of my devices are Apple; iPhone XR, iPad 7th Gen, watch 4th series and AirPods, 2 Gen. I probably won’t charge the watch on it since it has its own personal stand. So, are the cords I posted ok for that wall charger/my devices!?!?!:weary::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Cool. You can’t go wrong with that, does everything well.

Are you aware of this cable?

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerline-ii-3in1-cable/A8436021

If you have 1 of those cables then you in total do:

• USB-C cables, such as C-Lightning long cable and C-Lightning short cable, long cable to typically what is in your hand and shorter cable to the other distant device and the shorter cable is good for use with a Powercore.
  • the 3-in-1 does anything but at 10W maximum, so connect the less important / slower / smaller to this.
  • An A-MicroB cable for legacy devices. You own these already.

Personally I’d have a 6ft C-C, 3ft C-C, 3-in-1, smartwatch dock. Then I can charge 4 things at once of the 5 things I have of tablet, phone, Powercore, watch, buds.

1 Like

Link. Show me. I’m not seeing discount.

Yes, I’ve had one of those before. Didn’t fare well for me, but then again I didn’t have use for the Android type end unless I had a different type Bluetooth.

Apparently the time to order at discount is up. It was $36.79 when I ordered.
Sorry…:weary:

Wrong one. Don’t recommend that. It’s a single C and 3 A.
I know they look similar. This is the one to wait for 2 C 2 A 63W

Pricey right now.

In absence of this one getting discounted can’t go wrong with the smaller wall chargers.

If you got the 1 C + 3A 65W for $36.79 then you’re well on the way.

1 Like

Yes, I already ordered, delivering Friday. I just noticed the one you sent is different. Nah, haven’t seen it on sale or at a discount today.

1 Like

Afternoon Professor,

Hope you’re having a great day!!:slight_smile: I received my wall charger Thursday and the cords yesterday. :weary:. The C to lightening doesn’t work with my iPad. I’m sure someone probably told me that. I ordered two, one for phone and iPad. Soooooo, since I have the 7th Generation which some say no matter what it’s not going to change speed; should I send back, keep, send wall charger back and get the latest one that’s available 10/19 with two A ports!?! :woman_shrugging:t3:

I think it’s @technicallywell said iPad wouldn’t work C L ?

Phone does work C L?

You bought the 4 port 1 C 3 A charger?

So that charger will work well.of you get better devices in the future so charger you iPhone C L and your iPad A L ?

1 Like

LoL, Really Professor!!!:flushed::rofl: until I get better devices!!??!! I have pretty good devices, lol. XR phone, 7th generation iPad. 4th series watch, etc.:rofl::rofl::rofl:. So let’s be clear, theirs no need to get the newer PowerPort Atom wallcharger that you suggested you were getting?! It has two C ports 45 and 18 I think and I could charge my iPad in one. Or Just get a lighting usb cord for my iPad for the A port instead of using what came in the iPad box.:exploding_head: