Review: Anker Magnet Car Mount

So I can’t find this product on Anker’s website anymore (this is the closest thing I can find on amazon), but I won it over the holidays and I’ve been using it, so here’s a quick review:

First of all, the metal plate to magnet mounting idea I think is on the way out because the plate interferes with wireless charging. On my Samsung galaxy s9+ the only place you can add the plate is here if you want to use the qi charging feature of the phone.

This isn’t aproduct killer, although it does make the mounting in the car a bit unwieldy. The phone (especially because it is the plus size model) tends to get top heavy and topple over. Still, it works well enough, even through a case, to make the product useful and my go-to car mount now.

As you can see, the sticky stuff mounts the magnet base to the car dash, which I found very easy to use and superior to my previous mount-on-the-air-vent holder:

Even though the plate had to mount low on the phone, it holds well enough if you carefully position it. I was hooing it would sort of snap-into-place, but no luck. I have to place it exactly every time to get a good hold:

But, it works well, allows access to the back of the phone fingerprint sensor, and lets me bluetooth music through my ROAV F0:

All in all, probably a 3/5 star product considering the plate completely blocks the qi charger if you place it in the optimal middle-of-the-phone location. Probably why you can’t find it on the website anymore. In any case, future models should take wireless charging into account and either:

Integrate qi charging into the mount (that would be amazing)

or

Have some sort of hole in the plate to allow a wireless charge to pass through.(I’m not sure exactly how wireless charging works, so this might not even be possible).

4 Likes

Well done with the review. I have something similar too in my car. It did beg the question, how would someone have one of these on their phone or case and still do wireless charging. But since I don’t have a phone that does wireless charging, I forgot about it. I wonder if magnets would interfere with the wireless charging capabilities in any way?

2 Likes

Good review and points made @ryandhazen :thumbsup:

Magnets will usually trigger a foreign object alert on the wireless charger tyically noted by a flashing light and then imediate shutdown if the charger to prevent damage. I had the same mount in my car for the longest, but once I moved here to North Carolina it ended up pulling off my dash due to the heat/humidity. I have now replaced mine with Ankers wireless car charger

1 Like

Can you provide a link to Amazon? I’m guessing if it’s wireless, it’s no longer magnetic?

The wireless car charger isn’t magnetic.
Here’s the link
Anker PowerWave Fast Wireless Car Charger with Air Vent Phone Holder

Nice review and photos, @ryandhazen!

Nice review and pics!

Top job on the review and photos!

So you don’t see it feasible for Anker to make a wireless charger with the magnet mount capability?

They introduced one last year at CES but we have yet to see or even hear anything about it. Probably because if the issue with the metal magnet plate… But there are companies that have made it work so who knows what they are doing

Great review and pics :clap:t2: