A Road Trip with Roav! | Share Your Story and Test DashCam for FREE

A few years back on my way to the Cold Springs campground in Sequoia National park with my friend Josh and my Mom. The journey took us through Death Valley. The name Death Valley doesn’t really do justice to the truly miserable sweltering hot dry desert. The 120° temperature left everybody sweating through their clothes while sitting in place and our vehicle struggling to cope, the air conditioning felt non existent. Eventually, we had to stop to get oil(we were running really low), and went to a Target in a small town to take advantage of the sweet sweet store air conditioning conveniently located in the middle of a desert, where we tested how long it would take for water to evaporate if we poured it on the sidewalk, 2 minutes later the water was gone. After standing in a parking lot huddle together under a small tree, desperate for shade, we eventually got back on the road and out of Death Vally but that is an experience that is seared into my memory but was a great trip.

4 Likes

Shared!

I was born and raised in New Orleans, and moved away after Katrina. That was 14 years ago. Still, I cannot help but return time and time again, and each time that I go, it’s a whole new sort of fun. See, Whenever I take a road trip, I prefer the road less travelled. New Orleans is an amazing city, enchanting really. There is always something to see or do. And it’s ALWAYS an unforgettable experience!

If nothing else- Sitting down on some rickety dock at the bayou with a Barq’s in a glass bottle and a handful of crawfish makes for one heck of a good time! I gotta forewarn you by disclosing that I do NOT have a dash cam :cry: Boy, that woulda sure been nice! I took some videos for y’all, but for the life of me I can’t figure how to post ‘em :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. It’s alright though, because without a dash cam, it’ll make ya dizzy real quick!

These photos taken on my most recent road trip (I just got back yesterday in fact!) capture those things I love about the crescent city, in all its glory. Joie de Vivre!

3 Likes

I generally go on a lot of road trip. We do a lot rural exploring and exploring of old abandoned buildings. Our longest one day trip was over 1000 miles round trip and gone roughly 23 hours. Our longest was a 3 day trip with no sleep and travel roughly 2,200+ miles photographing locations during the day and night. When I can, I like to take my wife’s 2011 Subaru Forester with General Grabber All-Terrain tires.

But the trip I want to share is about a trip where my wife and I explored Western Mississippi from Natchez up to Port Gibson driving muddy dirt roads exploring abandoned churches and houses hidden on those old logging roads. Many of these roads are on accessible by All-Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive vehicles with all terrain tires.

We spent of the day traveling these back road drove about 100 miles on these nasty muddy roads. About an hour from sunset we turned down a 200 hundred year old logging road that was also used by both the South and Union Soldiers during the Battle of Port Gibson. This road is only advised to go down in lifted off road trucks anytime of the year and all others by 4 wheel drive when its dry. We choose to do it in our Forester and it took us about 2 hours. Luckily this trip was filmed with my ROAV C2 Dashcam.

One of my goals for this trip was to get to this old plantation house that was used by both the union and the south as a field hospital. To get to the old house we needed take this road. we were only able to drive about 10 to 15 miles an hour and had to cross mud pits that were a few feet deep. The road was narrow and cut deep into the landscape from years of use and erosion. About a mile or two into the road we came to a very steep and soupy muddy hill we had to go down. We basically skied down the hill. Then I saw a sign that we were nearing a bridge. I started to joke that it would suck if the bridge was out. Not a minute later and around a sharp turn was the sign that said bridge out…

The picture doesn’t show how steep the hill was. This a view looking down the hill once around that sharp curve it gets steep. These ruts are from us rutting out the road and digging in to get back up the hill.

At this point we couldn’t stop and turn around so we continued to the bridge in hopes the bridge was cross-able, the locals created a bypass by water crossing, or place to turn around.

We got to the bridge and the bridge was toast. Its a 100+ year old bridge with rotting boards and recent damage from flooding. The bridge is called Widow’s Creek Bridge and desperate need of repairs.

Since it was almost dark, deep in the woods, no one around for miles, GPS, and no cell service we decided to head back. I turned us around, shifted in to first gear manual mode and built up some speed and went up the still incline. It took about 10 minutes to get up the hill going about 5 miles an hour spinning tires and throwing Mississippi Mud everywhere. After getting back to the top, I got out and tried to go back down to take some pictures for documenting the trip. It was so muddy I almost couldn’t walk climb back up.

About an hour later driving in pitch back we made it back to the pavement and headed back to Dallas. We never made it out to the house that trip. But about a week ago I found another way to get out to the house and made the trip but no footage for that trip.

The above picture was taken just after getting up the hill and me down the hill to shoot pictures.

Below are to dash cam video. One is a long 8 minute video show the most dangerous parts.

The next one is a short 5 minute that cuts down the drive to the worse parts.

I’d love to get my hands on new DashCam and do a review and compare the two units.

Shared to Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/element321/posts/10107720952875580

6 Likes

@Element321 Can’t say our weekend trip was as exciting as yours, but it was a thrill to have finally located one of many covered bridges in PA.

2 Likes

Well a bit late with the memory and picture, but love what you guys are going.

On day one of our family road trip around lake Michigan we stopped in St. Louis, Mo for lunch. When we came back to our car 45 minutes later it had been broken into and all of our tech, hiking, and other things had been snatched. I wish I had the dash cam in that it might have been left and picked up something useful since I keep my USB devices on while the car is off. Either way we taped up the window, piled into the car with our kids and still had a wonderful, if noisy, two week trip around the lake.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

1 Like

Due to the fact that we’re on vacation this week, we’re sorry to let you know that we’ve decided to postpone the winner announcement to October 8th. Thank you for your understanding! :heart:

11 Likes

Enjoy your vacations, maybe you can come back with some road trip stories :wink:

2 Likes

I figured that would be the case. Thanks for letting us know though!

I would love to take this bad boy on the road with me and show the world the beauty of every road I go to I just want see and learn and review every single angle of specs utility and durability as long as I become part of this amazing project I’ll do my best to deliver a great review :v:

A while back we were on a road trip to AZ, we stopped off for drinks at a place we never saw before, when I saw this add commercial the wall TV. and in it I noticed that it was filmed in a gas station that I pass every day! at first I was not sure then it zoomed out and I knew.

Awesome testing opportunity! Great product too!

1 Like

Woohoo, I got selected. Thanks @AnkerOfficial and congrats to everyone else.
This will help on my long commute to and from work, bunch of crazy drivers out there. Also can’t wait to get some long distance footage when I drive back to Vermont for an upcoming wedding

2 Likes

Congratulations You deserve this Dashcam.

1 Like

Thank you @AnkerOfficial I can’t wait to test out my new dash cam! Congraulations to all of th other winners. I enjoyed reading all of the stories.

1 Like

Congrats to the selected winners…nice to see familiar names being a bit more prominent :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks @AnkerOfficial and congrats to all the other winners! Looking forward to testing this one out!

1 Like

You totally deserve it, you make great posts. Looking forward to your review.

1 Like

Congrats guys and gals. Looking forward to your reviews.

2 Likes