A Road Trip with Roav! | Share Your Story and Test DashCam for FREE

The best road trip I’ve ever had, which probably rings true for a lot of people, came after a nasty breakup. Being a native Californian all my life I was thinking about doing the unthinkable and moving out of the state; that’s how bad the breakup was. The only area I’d ever consider moving up to would have been the Pacific Northwest, so I decided to take two weeks off work, take a plane up to Portland – with zero plans at all — and just scope it all out.

After making some fast friends at the Airport, I was advised to go rent a car and make the drive from downtown to Bend. It was only a 200 mile drive, but would offer the best sights the state has to offer. This turned out to be the perfect suggestion because funds were a challenge and staying near the main roads meant I had enough opportunities for hot meals. So I ended up driving around that route for seven days straight – with a bunch of stops on the way, sleeping in my rented Toyota Corolla, soaking up the fall sights.

The first stop was Mt. Hood, which housed the interestingly-named town of Government Camp as well as some beautiful vistas. A highlight was walking down a trail and ending up at Ramona Falls, completely unplanned. “Govey” reminded me of Idyllwild, CA with all its quaint stores and good eats. I found the perfect time to hang out as it wasn’t ski season yet.

Other great stops were Trillum Lake and Smith Rock. Just majestic. All these vistas got me pumped up to continue trekking forward. I was getting tired and wanted to go back, but I wanted to see more.

The highlight of the trip was ending up in Bend. It was a bigger city than I envisioned, but it was still pretty awesome – there was tons to do from sightseeing to hitting up the local breweries. Totally awesome and I was already looking for an apartment, but…

In the end, I chickened out and decided to not move to Oregon, but I’ll never forget that little road trip – it at least let me clear my mind and get some perspective. Looking at these photos has me waxing nostalgic; maybe I should fly up this fall again…

Ah yes, obligatory Facebook share screenshot:

3 Likes

I would love to test A road trio with roav for free

Hope you’re getting better and such a sweet and nice friend! :blush:

1 Like

You were talking to a bear!! That’s so scary but a little bit funny though haha. :joy:

1 Like

A trip with zero plans is really cool! I’ve never done that before but I wish I could do this once just like you. :grin:

2 Likes

10 states in 3 days, no wonder why you got a warning ticket, haha just joking. :grin: I also like clearing my thoughts when diving alone. It helps me think more randomly and without too many constraints.

2 Likes

Sept 2014, the wife and I simply packed up and drove to Colorado for the hell of it… What made this trip different, we drove there and back in a doorless Jeep Wrangler. Experiencing temps as low as 49° at 14,000 feet atop of the Rockies and the next minute, High’s 100’s while driving through New Mexico to Oklahoma. Once in Oklahoma, we stopped at the closest hotel, paid for the room and simply jumped into the pool with our cloths still on. That was a hot ride without doors and no AC.
Here’s a for instance, can you guess where this tunnel leads to?

Technically known as the “Million Dollar Highway” this is one of Colorado’s most dangerous roads and yes we survived the drive. It’s called the most dangerous roads, because of how it was build and parts of the road can simply fall away. We drove past several areas where to road did just that. Guard rails torn up and not by accidents, but by nature, boulders, trees anything possible can happen on this road.

In 2019, we’re planning another cross country trip, but at this point in time, I’m not allowed to say what our destination will be… But here’s a clue, this will be the first time we’ll actually have to apply for a "passport card’. Will we be in a doorless jeep?. only time will tell.

► As a follow Up to this topic, @david52 & @AnkerOfficial

Question: I wanted to know what kind of image stabilization your system has (if any at all). As many of the “roads” we travel are not evenly paved.

FYI: I merely posted this trip for the hell of it as I do not meet the contest eligibility requirements, nor would I be able to have a review set in place 2 weeks afterward as our trip is not until next spring.

3 Likes

If I have ever had something more in my wheelhouse, this is it. I have known my wife for 9 years now, married for 3.5. Since the day I met her, driving is something that we have shared together. Whether it is driving 4.5 hours to northern Michigan to get a sandwich, around the great lakes, to NYC 5 times, Chicago for the day, Atlanta to visit friends, Savanna for Halloween, Florida to go to Disney, Maine for lobster, Toronto to take our daughter to the aquarium (and about 15 others that are too long to list), it is something we have always loved to do. Being on the road is different than flying. Yes, it may take longer, but you are able to experience 1000x more things. The food (yes we love all kinds and will travel just for it), the people, the places, it all turns it into an experience to remember.

One trip does stand out for me though. We had our minds on traveling to Quebec for New years eve. Simple 11 hour drive. Not the worst by far. One thing about driving in December (especially in Michigan and Canada) is that the weather can take a turn for the worst in a matter of minutes. After we stopped in Ottawa for dinner, it started to snow. Not unusual in the least. I figured we could just tough it out until we got to Quebec City. About 20 minutes later we were driving about 15 mph in a complete whiteout. Barely able to see more than 50 ft in front of me, I pressed on. White knuckling it behind a snow plow made for an intense 4 hour drive, only stopping to get gas. Then it happened. The car in front of us that has just passed us thought he was invincible to the icy roads and began to spin out. I must have looked like a deer in headlights because before I knew it, I had dropped a gear and evaded the incoming crash by what felt like inches. After we stopped to check on the driver, we find out it is an old colleague of mine from a previous job. We had a good laugh about how Michiganders someone feel that we can drive in anything, said our goodbyes and trekked on. 11 hours turned into 16 total. But it was worth the drive by far. Quebec city was bustling at 1 am with people and things to see. Made for one cautious drive home!

2 Likes

I tried to share my roadtrips, but when I went to use my C1 Pro it started to shut itself off after booting. Then a firmware update bricked it. Now I am without a dashcam.

Have you contacted support? They are you best method if getting your issue resolved

Dec 15, 2012… the day my fiance (now wifey) and I moved in together :couple:
We drove from SC to WI (almost 1200 miles) in 2 days. We were super excited to start our life together. Trip was as if we were dreaming. Saw all the weathers - nice sunny SC, cloudy scenic NC, rainy KY, boring IN, Snowy IL and WI during those 2 days.
That road trip is engraved in our memory for ever. Too bad we didn’t had the Roav Dashcam S1.
Anker may be its time to correct that :grin:

1 Like

I went to school in Pittsburgh but live 2.5 hours away, so when I had the opportunity to go back to visit some friends I knew I needed to get on it. PA has some beautiful scenery and that trip takes you through a lot of it. After I picked up some friends we drove around the outskirts of pittsburgh and just blasted music and reminiced about the ‘ole days’ of when we were still in college.

I’ll never forget that trip because it meant a whole lot to me to be able to see some of my best friends I’ve ever had.

My unforgettable trip(s) are my commutes either from home to school or the other way. Each time is 9hrs, over and over.

I have tons of stories from all my dashcams in my cars and I would tell you how it saved me from big troubles in life. I was going well within the speed limit of 25MPH in my local county. A fully drunk person (out of nowhere came in front of my car and smashed himself in the front of my car. Terrified moment…Isn’t it? But I wa so much confident due to my dashcam that I simply dialed 911 and waited on side of the road for all of that coming next to me. He was seriously injured and without a dashcam with super-tech GPS specs I would had been shaking in fear. Cops came and I shared my thoughts of having it recorded on the dashcam. He said don’t lose this evidence. I told them don’t worry my ROAV has autosave option in emergencies and I even showed him the video on my mobile phone (wirelessly connected to my Dashcam in my car)… I was found NOT GUILTY and it was smoothened by the video evidence.
It saves you from road-rage, traffic violations, insurance claim denials etc…
Emergency video auto-save option.
Loop recording, night-time high video and audio quality are all features that make Roav stand alone op the top list of Dashcams.

I would love to test this ROAV in my other car too… Can’t wait to see my name in lucky winners to test this product…

1 Like

Hello Anker,

Thank you for great opportunity to test your DashCam S1. Unforgettable road trip for me was back when I had family trip when I was in Middle school. We were traveling on the East Coast to get to Niagara Falls from New York. All of sudden, a deer appeared out of no where and got hit by our rental car. It was first time I ever got into a car accident. Though, no one in the car got hurt, I was surprised at how much damage can be done to the car by just hitting a deer and I will never forget how deer’s intestine was hanging on the part of car that was damaged. It probably is not the unforgettable road trip story that you were looking for but it sure is most horrific and unforgettable road trip for me.

1 Like

I love taking roadtrips. I drove from Iowa to Texas and back and then I also took a road trip to Phoenix Arizona to go to college and funny story my AC quit working as soon as I made it into Phoenix. I would definitely like to have this device so I can share my experiences and beautiful views with my family and friends and actually show them instead of just telling them.

2 Likes

Everyday commuter for 30 miles each way…Need one

A few years back on my way to the Cold Springs campground in Sequoia National park with my friend Josh and my Mom. The journey took us through Death Valley. The name Death Valley doesn’t really do justice to the truly miserable sweltering hot dry desert. The 120° temperature left everybody sweating through their clothes while sitting in place and our vehicle struggling to cope, the air conditioning felt non existent. Eventually, we had to stop to get oil(we were running really low), and went to a Target in a small town to take advantage of the sweet sweet store air conditioning conveniently located in the middle of a desert, where we tested how long it would take for water to evaporate if we poured it on the sidewalk, 2 minutes later the water was gone. After standing in a parking lot huddle together under a small tree, desperate for shade, we eventually got back on the road and out of Death Vally but that is an experience that is seared into my memory but was a great trip.

4 Likes

Shared!

I was born and raised in New Orleans, and moved away after Katrina. That was 14 years ago. Still, I cannot help but return time and time again, and each time that I go, it’s a whole new sort of fun. See, Whenever I take a road trip, I prefer the road less travelled. New Orleans is an amazing city, enchanting really. There is always something to see or do. And it’s ALWAYS an unforgettable experience!

If nothing else- Sitting down on some rickety dock at the bayou with a Barq’s in a glass bottle and a handful of crawfish makes for one heck of a good time! I gotta forewarn you by disclosing that I do NOT have a dash cam :cry: Boy, that woulda sure been nice! I took some videos for y’all, but for the life of me I can’t figure how to post ‘em :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. It’s alright though, because without a dash cam, it’ll make ya dizzy real quick!

These photos taken on my most recent road trip (I just got back yesterday in fact!) capture those things I love about the crescent city, in all its glory. Joie de Vivre!

3 Likes