Your favourite photos

So you have a DSLR? If so, get a cable release.

Night photography needs a tripod, regardless of style (IE, big legged, or gorilla pod, or even a small bean bag) as you need long exposure n a steady camera.

You want the best equipment you can get (no shit Sherlock). Tho, it doesn’t have to be sooo expensive.

The thing you want most tho… PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

read books from photographers you admire, and copy… Under rules of photography, you can hire the same models, wearing g the same clothes, on the same island as sports illustrated, but it’s not wrong, cos you took the photo!

I don’t do anywhere near the photos unused to take, but I do enjoy taking pics still… Even if just the cat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When you shoot at night, the exposure is longer than usual because it’s dark. Anything lit that passes through your scene will show a light trail. You need a tripod and remote control for effective technique.

Thank you :blush:

We all start somewhere at some point. I used to shoot film back in the day and switched to digital in 2006. It’s all the same when it comes to exposure.

1 Like

I just don’t understand how the path of the vehicle is not captured as well.

What is that technique called? I’ll YouTube it.

When you shoot long exposure, anything walking in my path or a car zoom by will not be recorded on the camera. What you will see is streaking lights.

2 Likes

Here’s a few more. Taken with two different cameras. You can follow my IG if you like to see more like this and others: https://www.instagram.com/dezsantanaphoto/

3 Likes

I just assumed that anything traveling in front of the lens would be captured in a long exposure open aperture setting. I have always been interested in photography despite having zero training or knowledge of the subject but you have inspired me to learn more sir.

I just followed you on Instagram. Have you considered using this technique at night with planes at an airport? I think it would make a cool shot if you were able to find a good vantage point. A drone racing event would also be cool they are often lit with LED lighting for night racing events.

1 Like

If the exposure is long for several seconds (10 or more), a human walking thru your scene will not show up. If they stand there, than yes, you will see “ghosting” of that person.

Thank you for following. I prefer my streaks on the street and not in the air. When planes or helicopters streak by, I remove the streaks from the sky. I don’t like them in the air. Drones in the air at night will just show crazy zig zags that are not flattering.

4 Likes

I can do trains too. This is at Grand Central Station :bullettrain_front:

3 Likes

Cool shot, it’s rare to get the platform all to yourself.

1 Like

Theres people there…you just can’t see them because they dont just stand around

It’s like I see dead people :scream:

2 Likes

Lol I still have that mental block I guess.

2 Likes

@elmo41683 @Jesse_Hernandez1
Looks like you guys have watched “the walking dead” too many times. Hahaha

2 Likes

@rupinjohar

The Sixth Sense with Bruce Willis

2 Likes

Sorry I never seen an episode of The Walking dead, Ever and dont plan on it because it doesnt interest me

1 Like

There you go… :wink:

I guess you can tell that I like long exposures mixed with streaks :innocent:

2 Likes

Not as recent as some, but very late spring of this year.

Got her as a pup from a rescue. At that time (early 2002), we didn’t all have smartphones and her face was fully black. You needed a flash to shoot her in anything other than bright sunlight, so she quickly decided that if I had something in front of my face she should look away. Can’t blame her.

End result is that I have 16 years of her never facing the camera!

And then we had the freak storm this late March or early April. I was trying to get a shot from the side with her in it but not the focus, and she unexpectedly nose-booped the phone.Thank god I pressed the shutter. It may be my favorite picture that I’ve ever taken, let alone of the love of my life.

I had to put her down in early June of this year. But at this moment, she was happy, healthy, and surprised me doing one of her favorite things–playing in the snow.

2 Likes

Great picture and great name for a pup :+1::sunglasses:. Sorry to hear that you lost your buddy sounds like she had a good life. My doberman passed almost 2 years ago. I think about her everyday.

Pic of her over looking her domain.

I call this one super dog.

4 Likes

It’s hard to lose them. I hope you know that as a fellow dog-lover, I’m well aware they are a huge part of our families and painful to lose.

She had a good life and I try to remind myself of that every day. Sure your Dobie did as well. We can do a lot to make every day as good as it can be for them, but even we can’t cheat death. Hopefully we can all take comfort in knowing we did all we could for them while they were here.

1 Like