Will powerport atom 3 works with s20 ultra?

Here’s the little fella

Thanks. Interesting, it does seem to be only supporting the lower voltages higher Amps, which is consistent with a very thermallly sensitive product with a 3.9V cell.

So you’d be seeking PD products with the highest Watts in 5V and 9V.

Ironically therefore the 5V 3A non PD charger would fair better. It’s there on the charger. Anker makes such things.

As I don’t own this phone, the probability my theory is correct is low, but if you really wanted an Anker charger rather than the official one, then avoid IQ3, and consider the 3A 5V Anker chargers. For example

This phone is so new the safest is to assume nothing works til a phone owner says otherwise.

1 Like

That’s bummer. I would just buy another charger from Samsung

2 Likes

Quite a lot transpired while I woke up :smiley:

great bit of analysis @paulstevenewing @professor everyone!

2 Likes

Its great having the ability to get hands on, and obviously nothing would have come of this if is wasn’t for @professor pulling all the techie bits together :+1:t2:

A slightly disappointing conclusion which I guess won’t be overcome (with my current kit) so might donate the Atom III Mini and PowerDrive to family and friends.

You can still use the Wireless Charging… use these chargers with Wireless charging stand / pad !

Days for wired charging are numbered… (mark my words … no matter what people say :rofl: )

1 Like

You could be right and to be fair I charge vie the Wakey.
I’m more gutted about not being able to use the PowerDrive i was given at Christmas, was looking forward to a quick charge between meetings etc

1 Like

I’d recommend getting a wireless car charger :+1:

Ok but Anker’s warranty and support is first class, if you never needed to test it yet. You can probably return or swap if you don’t have a good alternative use for the items.

Anker gave me an IQ3 product and it didn’t work with their own PD product, but as free can’t complain. But was a hint IQ3 isn’t pure PD.

Also if you own a USB meter it really helps debug these issues, recommend invest in one. Often it can be just as simple as the cable. Anker’s own cables are very good but even some of them is the culprit.

Phones really want lower voltages, prefer them, as stepping down from 5V or 9V generates less heat within the phone than stepping down from 12V or 20V, as phone cells are usually <4V. Cables however prefer higher voltages, for a given Wattage as electrical resistance is much higher with higher Ampeage. So basically the phone is really going to want a perfect cable.

Make sense?

So if you don’t own a USB meter, simply try all your cables, one may work. In general shorter cables better than longer cables, thicker better than thinner. E.g. my Anker 6ft cable is worse than my Amazon basics 6 inch cable.

My 18W devices have 7.8V cells and so really like 9V and so work fine with cheap cables.

For phones and other small devices I agree. Wireless has got good enough on price and performance many can get by perfectly fine with a wireless charger in their commonly frequented places. That then causes the gap in the Anker portfolio of a wireless portable charger which we now know is imminently being closed.

2 Likes

Good points @professor

Hope these fall on @AnkerOfficial & Anker Product / Design team’s ears :ear:

I am still hopeful of seeing a wireless portable powerbank charger from Anker!

You missed it?

At FCC stage so that’s an average of 6 weeks til you can buy in USA.

1 Like

wow… somehow completely missed that thread :disappointed:

I am happy to see it, hopefully it sees the light of day, some day (in my hands :smiley: )

Thanks for bringing it up on the thread!

1 Like

Reply in that thread, please, if you want to discuss that product.

I was discussing it before also here

There is an inevitably to some ideas

I don’t currently own any wireless charging devices (other than proprietary watch chargers) but I did own from 2013 so I know the convenience.

1 Like

Small Update.
Anker support returned my contact and am currently working with them.
Also, I tried plugging the phone into my 20000 Essential PD via USB-C and it charges the phone a treat using one of the previous cables.
I guess the PowerCore has an output the phone likes!

1 Like

Good.

It is a zoo of compatability issues but reminds us to stick with good brand and support.

1 Like

Too true @professor

1 Like

Just to try, you speak to Debs, I’m very trying :rofl:
I ordered another cable, PowerLine III USBC to USBC.
My reasoning was this quotes USBC-IF certified - none of my current cables quoted this.
I don’t know what USB-IF meant, but whatever it means it made no difference to the situation :rofl:
As quick as it came out of the packaging it went back in :disappointed_relieved:

So what I gathered from this post is Anker doesn’t have a Charger that supports the S20 Ultra?

Also does anyone know if Ankers cables (C to C or A to C) will support the fast charging via a Samsung Brick?

Thanks,

Mike

Define “support”.

It looks like Anker cannot today do a 45W charger for the Samsung S20 Ultra.

So you’d expect to see a lower common denominator would work, so slower.

1 Like

Thanks Professor. I replied to my original thread not realizing it would get approved and posted here after!

I will continue the convo there but you guys have done a great job answering.