Will powerport atom 3 works with s20 ultra?

I got my new powerport atom 3 for s20 ultra and i notice that it is not working. I tried using old devices s10, nintendo switch and the chager charges the device. Any idea why?

1 Like

That should work… maybe contact support@anker.com.

Its supposed to work…

• Anker PowerPort Atom III (2 Ports) provides one USB-C PowerIQ 3.0 port (45W) and one USB-A PowerIQ 2.0 port (15W). The port to be used to USB-C PowerIQ 3.0 port (45W), use the USB-C to USB-C cable.

• Samsung S20 Ultra has the Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery & supports the below charging (not mentioning the reverse wireless charging / not applicable).
    Fast charging 45W – > this is to be used with the USB-C Cable connected to the Anker Powerport Atom III USB-C Port
    USB Power Delivery 3.0
    Fast Qi/PMA wireless charging 15W

if its not working, try changing the USB-C to C cable,

However as @Insider mentioned, try reaching to the Anker Support support@anker.com

1 Like

not sure…what do you think??

I’m getting the same, mine doesn’t charge from the USBC output.
The phone screen pings like it sees the connection but doesn’t charge.
Later i will try the USBA port and report back.

Update.
My S20+ won’t charge from USBC on PowerPort Atom III dual port or PowerPort III Mini.
It will charge via the USBA on the PowerPort Atom III.
I havent done any other research on this re phone compatibility etc but USBC seems to be an issue on 3rd party chargers?
It works fine on USBC with the same leads with the Samsung charger.

USBC leads used - the PowerLine+ and the standard USBC that came with a PowerCore.
USBA lead used - PowerLine II

EXTRA UPDATE :rofl:
I’ve just tried in my PowerDrive III Duo and the phone won’t charge with that either.

@AnkerSupport any input to this?

I’ve sent email email to support and will update this post with their replies.

Weird thing is that my phone charges only when it is turned off.

1 Like

Yeah that is weird!
So does yours charge ok using your PowerPort Atom when the phone is off?
Mine will charge whether on or off, cable or wireless, but just not USBC to USBC.

Yes my powerAtom does charge my S20 utra when it is turned off on USBC to USBC but it is working on USB type A to USB type C regardless if its on or off.

1 Like

Anker IQ3 is not the same as Power Delivery. Even certain Anker PD Powercore don’t charge off certain Anker Powerport.

Even PD certified chargers won’t work with all PD devices, as they don’t necessarily overlap the same modes. e.g. “requires 30W” can be done from 9V 3.3A, 15V 2A, 20V 1.5V but a device may only accept 20V and so a 30W PD offering 15V won’t work.

Very little is assured to work within PD and less with IQ3.

So assume nothing works til someone with the combination says otherwise.

As to the specific device, there’s scant information out there what modes is supports.

1 Like

New avatar pic @professor, I LIKE :+1:t2:

I got the below on the internet and although it doesn’t make full sense (only skim read) it does suggest any charger should work you just may not achieve full speeds?
Currently I’m getting nothing via USBC :sob:

Why can’t I just use any 45W Power Delivery charger with the S20 Ultra?

Samsung took several extra steps in the way it handles high speed charging in order to prevent overheating and long-term battery damage. Unfortunately, those steps are a series of hoops that accessory makers and users like you and me have to jump through when we want to charge our S20 Ultra at top speeds. In order to get 45W charging, your setup needs to have the following:

• A USB-C Power Delivery 3.0 charger that supports:
    • PPS (Programmable Power Supply) — this is a subsection of Power Delivery 3.0, and there are few chargers out there to support it so far.
    • 10V/4.5A charging speed
    • PDO (Power Delivery Objects) — this negotiates the voltage/speed between the charger and the phone. It’s what makes the difference between your S20 Ultra getting the more standard 10V/3A and 10V/4.5A from a charger.
  • An e-marked USB-C to USB-C cable

Because these specific requirements are only used by two devices now — previously only one device over the last six months — accessory makers have had little reason to support a non-standard charging profile. You’ll see a lot of chargers on Amazon that say they’re PD 3.0 (PPS2.0), but they still don’t support PDO or the 4.5A charging speed and thus, won’t get full 45W charging.

Damn so our power port atom 3 will not work. I’m fine if it works as long as it is on fast charging

1 Like

So that therefore begs the question does a specific Anker charger, and even more specifically IQ3, support all of those 3 requirements. PD 3, PDO, e-marked.

Less so with IQ3 than PD.

Don’t own a Samsung phone, but I do own the Atom III. It will not charge Anker’s Powercore 10000 PD. It will charge their 10000 PD Slim and their 20000 PD Essential.

I own three Powerport Duo 18W / 12W C / A, one of those will not work with one of my cables.

So there’s a charger + device + cable matrix of won’t / will work.

So try different cables is my scraping-bottom-of-barrel idea. Or just get money back in the 30 days official support.

If you want a theory specific to phones, it is electrically more efficient to have a thick cable offer 5V than a thin cable offer 20V as the phone’s cells at probably 3.7V and a converter from 20V down to 3.7V is less efficient than from 5V to 3.7V. So an expensive phone with very heat-generating parts, may be happier with a very thick cable not offering PD.

1 Like

Hey @professor
Tried the 2 C to C leads I had and same result with both, and as you say, will charge the 20000 PD Essential without a problem.
I’m gutted if I’m honest, more so with the PowerDrive as the ability to charge the phone a bit quicker in the car is/would have been a bonus for me.

Anyone using this? https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-atom-pd-1-[gan-technology]/A2017111

does it work on s20 ultra at least fast charging?

1 Like

This is why to buy Anker, their support and warranty. Return it.

Power Delivery is an utter zoo. It isn’t the PD consortium’s fault, it is device manufacturer (e.g. Samsung) not supporting all modes fault. Worst are phones which really prefer a thick cable and the lowest voltage.

Example:

• 30W PD.
  • Laptop has internal cells are 19V so the laptop wants the 20V PD mode, @ 1.5A. A 30W 15V 2A won’t work. The laptop will say needs 30W PD but some 30W won’t work.
  • phone has internal cells are 3.7V, and says needs 27W, really wants 9V at 3A but a charger offering 15V 1.8A won’t cut it.

The reason technically why some chargers work when phone is off is the thermal effect of charging struggles against a phone’s own heat generation (cpu, gpu) and so the charger is wanting more specific modes when on than when off. So charging a phone’s cells ideally want a charging voltage a little higher.

I could write a thesis, but I won’t.

1 Like

I am assuming it won’t, but don’t have one.

1 Like

As @paulstevenewing says, assume it won’t.

Ask the question of Anker - support@anker.com

It would help if someone did a high res photo of the specs of the official charger, read off its PD modes, volts, etc.

The critical part is to look for it outputs voltages that the Anker chargers do not. For example PD includes 12V, many Anker chargers don’t they do 9V and 15V.

This is not Anker’s fault it is expensive devices only supporting PD modes to suit game boys wanting ridiculous amounts of computing power in a tiny device causing only specific most-efficient forms of electrical induction transformation to work without overheating… fault.

The most efficient voltage is about 20% higher than the cells. So a 3.7V cell common in phones really want lower voltages, to get high Wattage then needs high amps which then causes heat in the cable so only thick cables will work. Laptops in contrast are usually 19V so really want 20V. So you’d for example find a 30W charger offering 15V @ 2A not work in either a phone or a laptop, but a charger offering 20V @ 2.5A work in laptop but not a phone and a charger offering 9V @ 3A work in a phone but not a laptop.

I see this phone is 3.86V so it probably cannot charge off 5V, I also see it is comes with 25W charger, so it is probably really wanting 9V @ 2.8A , so seek out chargers which do higher amps at 9V.

Reply with a good quality photo of the official charger’s voltages so we can do a better guess than “good luck”.

Here’s the little fella