Why you should switch to USB-C

…including Apple. USB-C everything.

5 Likes

This makes some very good points, I’ve only had one usb-c device myself, but I agree completely. Usb-c is ready and should be more widely used.

2 Likes

Nice Article that mentions Anker’s charger too…
It’s a nice and universal charging/data transfer across the brands… So why not go for it Apple?

3 Likes

Maybe after approx 20 years of talking, there will finally be one lead for all devices‽

There used to be… 2 cables for different Nokia, 2 different for Samsung, 1 for palm, 1 for blackberry etc… It seemed all makes had their own lead and brick. More often than not, the leads were part of the brick, so couldn’t be separated.

If lucky you had a data lead for pc back up n downloading MP3s, some crossover on this lead, but definitely not a charging lead.

Later, the data lead n charger lead became the same lead, Oooo posh!

Then started some had the same lead across makes, although Nokia seemed to like to have it separate still … At this time, they were still king. There were some PDA phones about… Slow n not very responsive even for the time.

It’s probably only in the last 5 years or so, we want (truly want) universal lead to charge n data.

To keep UPOS, makers are deciding on power n speed of charging to keep difference, and keep you buying THEIR STUFF!

3 Likes

I switched to USB-C because that’s what Samsung started using

2 Likes

I switched mostly to USBC a few years ago in the Sony Xperia ZX (or was it XZ?) THAT TURBO BOOST feature is quite handy when you been using your phone n realise… Oh shit got to go out in half an hour!

2 Likes

The trend is DEFINITELY moving toward more USB C adoption.

I cheered when Apple made the switch because I knew it would drive more support and adoption AND better quality products all around.

I have heard from a COUPLE of people that the actual ports over time can become a bit loose. I imagine with repeated pluggin/unpluggin some wear is to be expected, and I’ve also noticed it on a couple of my older usb C devices that the connections isn’t quite as strong as it used to be. My phone gets lucky since I charge wireless anytime I can :wink:

Again, with all that’s possible already with it. I look forward to more and better usb C all around. I personally wonder why so many dashcam use the old mini-usb instead of C.

1 Like

It’s cheaper. As simple as that.

2 Likes

Guess that makes sense. It’s never been the most reliable or USB connections and at least on the dashcams it’s not something you constantly plug and unplug or jiggle while plugged it, so maybe it’s not a affected as my OLD OLD OLD Samsung Instinct (remember that gem) was. lol

Was that one of the few that used Samsung’s own software?

I was on the Nokia 5800 music phone. The gimmicky plectrum they gave you to “touch” the screen, actually scratched the screen FFS.

The following year, I got the iPhone 3gs, and the year after that a note 2.

Yes it was… it was like mid 2008 I think… one of the initial “iphone killers”

oh what a loooong way we’ve come

1 Like

20 years to adapt USB-C? I’d hope not :sweat_smile:

USB-C is as close a Universal as it can get. From data, to fast charging, to audio. I am patiently waiting for everyone to get on board and just do it. Manufacturers should not wait for Apple to get on board.

2 Likes

I agree, my MacBook uses USC-C and it charges really fast. If only Apple used it with their phones!

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s coming… Apple is the king of simplicity and if their adopting it will be the biggest impact of consumer adoption.

Apple phone cases are the only ones that ever had a hole whose only purpose was to show their logo.

Your MacBook is starting the first step in adoption going from evolutionary to revolutionary. Many consumers don’t question their Apple products, they just believe lol

I believe with the cult like devotion Apple consumers and manufacturers have, their adoption even just now with the MacBooks is what’s gonna drive the switch.

When $6 phone cases are made to specs weeks before a product launch (and have the mandatory hole to show off the apple logo) you know what’s making money, because it’s what people are buying.

by the same token, you’ll get much better quality accessories as well and I think that’s where we all benefit

1 Like

It’s taking TOO LONG to come. USB-C has been out for awhile.

The Lightning port is outdated and very slow (USB 2.0 speeds). There’s nothing “lightning” about it. It’s proprietary. Simply put and nothing else.

1 Like

Yeah… I’m not ANTI Apple, but I’m not for it. I do agree, the lightning port is already VERY dated and need to go bye bye

1 Like

Only switch if your phone has it lol

Phone, tablet, headphones, digital SLR camera…etc. Devices are changing s l o w l y to USB-C

2 Likes

True, I hope they stick to USB C for years to come

1 Like