Which power delivery features are actually supported?

I’ve been trying to learn more about which USB Power Delivery features are actually supported on Anker PD products. There is very little information to be found, what is is filled with myth and it’s all very confusing.

I understand that currently the best PD phone charger (available in my country) is the Anker PowerPort II PD and that the lack of a version number in it’s PD specification doesn’t technically mean it’s not PD 2.0 or 3.0 .

I also understand that new incompatible features is not exactly the point of Power Delivery. However from what I can Google, Power Delivery has everything from new voltage profiles in 2.0 which are potentially not provided in Power Delivery 1.0, to fancy features like the charger monitoring the battery temperature and adjusting the power accordingly in 3.0 .

One answer by Anker on Amazon states that the Anker PowerPort II PD supports USB 3.1, which corresponds with Power Delivery 3.0 . If this is true not including this information on the product page seems like a huge marketing fail as there are people with new phones specifically looking for a Power Delivery 3.0 charger, which you’d think the version-less Anker PowerPort II PD is not.

I also happen to have one of the 150 Power Delivery supported phones which are not iPhones or Pixels, so the list of supported phones is of no help to me whatsoever. Though I think for most consumers the number of different fast-charge standards has made it essentially impossible for a non-technical person to wrap their mind around, so most just assume every non-working combination is due to the charger being a forgery which as you might agree doesn’t help your brand recognition for what it really is.

Anyway, I would appreciate some reliable information on this…

The PowerPort II PD supports USB Power Delivery 2.0. I have a review which details its exact specs.

I have yet to come across an Anker charger that supports PD 1.0. PD 2.0 has been around since 2014-2015. It is rare to find a PD 1.0 charger still on sale. The best known was the Apple 29W USB-C power adapter for the 2015 MacBook. And it was replaced last year.

Power Delivery 2.0 was released along with USB 3.1. They are separate tech which only share the commonality of using USB-C as a connector. Just because a device supports PD 2.0 doesn’t mean it supports USB 3.1.

Power Delivery 3.0 doesn’t offer much new stuff except for PPS (programmable power supply). But not all PD 3.0 chargers offer PPS. And you must have a device that supports PPS to take advantage. PPS doesn’t necessarily charge faster. But it is a more efficient charge that extends battery life.

FWIW a lot of chargers don’t list their Power Delivery version number. Some do, but it isn’t consistent across the industry. It generally isn’t a critical piece of information. If using PD 2.0 or 3.0 the same power profiles are supported. And if using PD 3.0 AND PPS then the specs usually state PPS support (which means PD 3.0).

Any phone that supports USB PD will work with most any USB PD charger. iPhone and Pixel are mentioned because they have reasonable market share. Same with Samsung, LG, and Moto in the states. And Huawei and OnePlus globally. You can’t expect anyone to list all 150 phone models. And that list changes regularly, that’s a lot of updating. Just know that USB PD support means your phone is supported. For fast charging you likely want 18W or better output. Any charger released in the last few years will support either PD 2.0 or 3.0. Unless your phone supports PPS then it doesn’t matter which of those versions you use. If it does support PPS then you want to look for PPS supporting chargers. Which are uncommon at the moment.

I have more reading on my site linked at the top under the FAQ menu. And my charger and power bank lists include PPS. My reviews include PD versions.

2 Likes

New Samsung phones only charge 45W at 4.5A x 10V using PPS. Thus, we need an Anker product with PD 3.0 and PPS for 2019 Samsung phones!