Weird Chemical Smell coming from Space NC

I have a Soundcore Space NC since June 2018. During the past few months I didn’t use it and it just sat in its case. Recently, I took it out to use and it is giving out a very strong chemical smell (similar to when you burn plastic). This smell is so strong that I have to wash my hands every time I touch the headphones. It is definitely coming out from the foam material ear-pads on the headphones. I have left it out of case in air to see if the smell will go away but it didn’t.
Did any other user experience similar smell from their Space NC?
I have contacted the support for help and possibly replacement as I’m really concern about the health effects of this chemical smell. In the mean time i’m not going to use this headphone.
@AnkerOfficial Any help from your side will be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

There were some issues regarding the smell of FLARE’s coating some time ago.
When I unpacked it, the smell was really “heavy”. :confused:

But after a view weeks it disappeared totally.
May be you should give the items a chance to “evaporate”.
My FLARE did! :wink:
Not only of the polluted air here in Munich!

Yes I’m trying to but the puzzling part is that when new they were fine. I used them for 2 months before storing it in case. It was fine then but now 6 months later it is smelling real bad.

@kumar.sachin can you please check for a couple of things

1. Any disintegration of the leather on headphones or the material inside the storage case.
  2. I know you mentioned you have vortex as well. can you please check if vortex has that smell too?
3 Likes
  1. I do not see any disintegration of the leather on headphone or the material in storage case.
  2. Vortex is absolutely fine (no smell whatsoever)
    btw these 2 have similar age (vortex is probably a month older)

Give them a chance again.
For example:
If you enter a warehouse with new clothes you will be killed by the chemical smell there.
But this will evaporate after a while and washing and using.

But of course talking about the chemical pollution of those kind of things :
It is a shame. :angry:

Yes I’m keeping them open in air for 2-3 days now. Last night I tried them but the smell was still strong. I’ll keep monitoring them for some more days.

Yeah it’s totally possible for strange things to happen in production…I don’t blame you for waiting to get a response and possibly a replacement in this case. There’s sometimes no telling what’s going on in some of these production facilities.

@kumar.sachin have you reached out to Anker support? They may provide a solution,

Yes I have. Waiting to hear back

1 Like

I wonder if it’s due to them being stored in the case, when you wear them all types of oil from your body gets left on the earpads and then being out into a case where it can’t breathe possibly caused the oils to breakdown the earpads into such a chemical smell

1 Like

I’ll be very surprised if that’s the case. I’ve used Vortex much more than NC and they are also stored in case when not in use and no issues with them.

This is an idea.
But after waiting a while all will be “Blowing in the wind”! :grin:

That is interesting.
Probably airing it out for a couple of days will make the smell away but will be interesting to know the root cause… keep us posted on what @AnkerOfficial says.

2 Likes

So I got the reply back from support. It is the glue that is smelling (used for sticking PU leather together). Support said there is no adverse health effects from the glue vapors and they have offered to exchange the headphone which is what I will do. Even with 5 days of airing the smell is still very strong.
Again a top notch customer service from Anker :trophy:

4 Likes

Super!
Now we know more.
That’s our job here! :wink:

1 Like

Good to hear your getting sorted out :thumbsup:

I should have known about the glue, I completely forgot I had a similar issue with an old pair of Sennheiser headphones. But kudos to Anker for replacing them

Great to hear anker is replacing them. Top quality customer service. Will the new set not have the same glue?

2 Likes

I hope they have improved the manufacturing by now. Maybe the pair I have has too much glue? This is something Anker can learn after they get smelly pair back.