USB-C options that would be nice

They need to sit down and think for a moment, they are basically dividing themselves. They really need to just add USB-C to all future
powerbanks.

2 Likes

Well not necessarily all but there should be a reasonable sprinkling of a USB-C Mini, USB-C 10000. They already have USB-C 20100 and 26800 so its really a gap at the lower end.

I think this is probably to do with that USB-C is more popular in higher end tablets / chromebooks and they need a decent size battery, but I’m thinking USB-C version of everything through buds, torches, etc.

The smaller items become dominated by cables and one of each type ends more total volume than the charger.

2 Likes

Also, the USB-C port is larger than the microUSB port. I think all smaller devices will eventually make the switch, but it’s not as urgent as it is for the larger ones as the switch to USB-C isn’t adding any power.

2 Likes

We both won the headbuds Life competition. You say that could not be USB-C? It is big enough. Just the removal of the “which way” MicroB to USB-C would help.

We both won the 21W solar panel. It has “too much power” problem if 1 port so it uses 2 ports. A USB-C with a port which can use all of the power is not a valid useful option?

Currently I’m parking myself in the USB-C 15W corner waiting, but I can’t park here much longer, I have devices in the 50W range which won’t last much more than a year, using 19V I want to move to USB-PD at some stage (when they die).

3 Likes

Well, what do you think Anker’s excuses are?

1 Like

I can see this through both eyes.

From Anker’s perspective, the USB-C standard is rare, is in high-end devices which are fewer, and those tend to be more Wattage, they come with a supplied charger, and Anker has to justify why an Anker vs use of OEM supplied. It seems that Anker advantage is a smaller charger.

I then see it from the consumer eyes, USB-C is trickling down and we hit two different standards.

Where I see the gaps are:

• USB-C Powercore+ Mini
  • USB-C Powercore 10000 with 15W input 30W output.
  • USB-C Powercore 20000+ (20000 to 26800) with 60W output and 30W input.

The tablets and laptops with USB-PD are designed to last all day off battery so the higher wattage needs are more for chargers than portable chargers. So the gap is opening up first in chargers.

• USB-C single port Powercore Fusion
  • USB-C dual port Powerport 2
  • USB-C one or two powers Powerport 4.
3 Likes

A lot of people want an extra/spare/on-the-go charger for their high-end devices. So not only is Anker’s smaller but also way cheaper, especially in the case of Apple.

Ex. Apple’s 29W adapter for MB is 50, Anker’s equivalent is 27

2 Likes

A smaller USB-C portable charger is needed so carry just one cable with your USB-C phone and USB-C charger.

1 Like

Micro usb with an attached usb c dongle???..at least for now.

2 Likes

I agree that it should have an attached USB-C dongle, as they are small and I lose them too easily!

2 Likes

Others offer that now.

1 Like

Yea, but not with Anker quality.

2 Likes

Other manufacturers are sketchy. I have full confidence in the quality and ability of my Anker cables.

1 Like

Didn’t mean to steal your thunder sorry bud

1 Like

@Jesse_Hernandez1 your 100% correct, I feel that other manufacturers use cheaper plastic and don’t take pride in their products with their warranty.

3 Likes

No problem, just trying to whisper some ideas into the Anker’s ear lol.

2 Likes

Right now I have to carry a Lightning cable for my iPad, MicroUSB for my headphones and charging my PowerCore, and USB-A to USB-C to charge my Samsung S8/TabS3, along with a QC2/3 wall charger just for my personal stuff. If I travel for work, I also have to take a USB-C PD stuff for my Pixel and Nexus devices. So yeah I’d love to be able to simplify this.

I get the size concerns of USB-C port vs Micro-USB port for charging of smaller devices such as Bluetooth Headphones, or smaller power banks. I like the size of my Anker SoundBuds Sport Bluetooth Headphones, using USB-C to charge them would make them larger for at least the connector, if not the circuitry.

USB-C connections are a mess. Between USB-C PD and Samsung using USB-C Connectors that use QC2/3 to fast charge instead of PD, it can get confusing. So if Anker adds USB-C to wall chargers and/or power banks, which charging standard should they support on USB-C?

I mean, my Pixel, Nexus 5x/6P, Huawai P9, etc. have USB-C ports and use PD to fast charge. Where my Samsung Galaxy S8, Tab S3 and Note 8 (when released) have USB-C ports on them, but still use QC2/3 to fast charge. If the Power Bank (or wall charger) has a USB-C port but only supports PD, it wont fast charge my Samsung. Conversely if the Power Bank or charger’s USB-C port supports QC2/3 it wont fast charge my devices that need PD.

So if Anker (or any other Power Bank maker for that matter) sells USB-C power banks and chargers, they have to choose which spec, and make sure their customers are aware of exactly what they’d be getting or what to expect. I wrote a post a long time ago about how Anker’s naming conventions were very unclear compared to features. This is still true today, and will get worse due to the competing charging standards being used over USB-C connectors.

As for cables, and adapters to convert my existing Micro-USB to USB-C, that might work for devices like Samsung that use QC2/3 on USB-C, but not my devices that use PD. :frowning:

This is a mess that I don’t think Anker can solve unless they bring out multiple lines of charger, power banks, and cables dedicated to these different things, and clearly labels them. Maybe the following…

PowerCore = Straight USB-A output with PowerIQ(up to 2.4A/5V), and Micro-USB input 2.4A/5V (to recharge the power core).
PowerCore Speed = USB-A output that support QC/PowerIQ, and Micro-USB input (2.4a/5V)
PowerCore Speed+ = USB-A output that support QC/PowerIQ, and Micro-USB input of either 2.4a/5V or QC3
PowerCore Speed+C = USB-A and USB-C output that support QC3 & PowerIQ, and USB-C and MicroUSB input that supports 2.4A/5V and QC3.
PowerCore PD = USB-C PD output and input

3 Likes

Better labeling would be a huge step in the right direction.

3 Likes

you know, I never realized the labeling issue until now lol

2 Likes