[Upcoming Release] PowerCore Solar 10000

This item should be giving to a couple of our community members who have proven to be good reviewers so we can hear their honest thoughts

2 Likes

No better candidate than @professor :grin: but test it during summer or extend the testing time period

3 Likes

You are a pretty good reviewer too :+1:

I wonder if it would get dangerously hot

3 Likes

Odd they decided on this

I do camping, and have tried solar. I found sunshine too unreliable and for the added bulk and weight of solar , carrying a larger Powercore instead was more consistently reliable.

But I do also find I’d grab a power socket if I passed one (cafe, pub, etc) so the surprise here is they didn’t make it the 18W faster charge input, you can get 10Ah down to about 3 hours with one, e.g.

When you combine with the fact the 18W Nano is now incredibly small and has been £10, it does make it doubly odd a camping, so power constrained, product didn’t come with 18W out the gate.

I guess wait for product feedback and a future product with 18W?

We had a similar feedback on the first combined battery+wireless.

Size / weight comparison

Powercore 10000 Powercore 15000 Powercore 20000 Solar 10000
Weight g 180 190 346 268
Volume cl 121 266 212 256

So from a volume perspective, carrying two Powercore 10000 is smaller than one of these, double the power and diversity of supply (one fails other still functions). From a weight perspective carrying 20Ah is slightly more than this product. Or carrying simply 50% more stored energy in the form of the 15A, is less weight and the same size as Solar.

So effectively, solar is adding 50% to the size and weight. Is sunshine on such a small panel going to give you more than 50% power over the days?

1 Like

Do you know what is going on with the solar powerbank 20000? I don’t see it listed on Amazon anymore

Looks likely you’re correct, canned product.

I wonder how many sold and if any of them worked.

Last record I noticed was sale on last units 3 months ago.

I saw it fluctuate with the shipping and although the price stayed the same, being a usb C was a nice feature. Wonder how many sold and what happened

Also coming out of winter there’s not so much demand for factory to make.

I remain of the view these products should not be made until lithium hate of heat is resolved and a tiny panel on a large battery will alway be a bad idea on this planet in this universe. To get enough energy out of such a small panel would require higher frequency light, which would destroy all complex life on the surface.

With homo sapiens and current chemistry on this planet at this time the only reliable solution is a larger solar panel (Anker sell) and a 3ft cable and a cell in the shade.

I have the 21 watt and the 24 watt panels since it’s usually sunny here and definitely prefer Anker over other brands

1 Like

It’s back on Amazon

Market forces, demand causes supply.

I just wished the demand would learn to demand something better.

For example I have the Anker 21W, it could be designed better the pouch was too small to keep items in it. The 24W has a better pouch.

These folding larger panels where you connect from a cooler shade spot a Powercore is going to help some survive a long time off grid. Even in variable climate locations you can make use of the sunniest times.

While the image does say the truth

Of several days, many will just see the solar panel and think it useful. The image itself is showing the panel not angled to the sun and as shown is probably not even charging, and it’s on a dark surface which will get hot. Cringe.

1 Like

I noticed they had the powerbank not facing the sun directly while the 24W has stands for a better angle

The angle is very important, indeed.
Same with thermal solar systems on the roof.

As these are static its so important to find a best place.
Ours is working since more than 20 years now.
Perfect -> technique from Switzerland! :smiley:

An energy system could be installed also.
But I am to old for such adventures,

Correct a 1/3rd tilt away halves the energy from sun, with the overhead of electronics it’s then less than half. The image as shown it’s probably not charging.

Images, imaginations! :sweat_smile:

I always thought these type of chargers were kinda gimmicky, I think I’d rather bring a big powercore than a solar power bank

1 Like

Yes that’s what I ended up doing. I tried a few combinations over the last 20 years and the one which works best currently is a 20000 PD and plug it into wall at every passing opportunity. Lasts about 6 days off-grid.

Beyond 6 days, then add solar, a big panel, to use when its sunny.

I tried a smaller 10Ah Powercore + solar but once had a wet dull 3 day period and ran low on power so that ended up in effect proving this thread’s product useless.

I tried a smaller Powercore + wallcharger but could not ingest power fast enough in the wall to keep up.

So from direct experience, it has to be a larger Powercore, optionally with solar. I don’t think anything else right now is viable.

Even though old product the 26800 with dual input remains still a very good product, it’s dual input works well with solar dual output, but the wall charger for 18W is smaller so if not solar then the 20000 PD in total is more compact.

2 Likes

For power banks, do you stick to Anker?
I know there are brands that offer more power than 20000mAh but those brands are probably not that known so buying from them is a bit risky. Although you can always get your money back

In my case yes all my Powerbanks are Anker, because customer service and items won / discounted. I’ve had other brands which had less good experience. But that is not saying Anker is better, only someone who owns multiple of each could speak with more experience.

2 Likes

Still waiting for a 20k wireless PowerCore @professor
Very surprised its taken this long!
Espscially as the 10k had and continues to get good reviews.

1 Like