Tech news: Will Netflix be another Blockbuster?

Apple getting into Video Streaming Service ?

What do you think of upcoming Apple event on March 25th where it is most likely to unveil its video streaming service?

How the world of video streaming is changing?

3 Likes

Won’t know if it’s changing until their new service is up and known differences appear. Right now, I just see it as another player (competition isn’t bad) that may cater to a certain demographic (ie Apple fanbase). I don’t see it as an attempt to take away customers… but if the service appeals enough I’m sure it can win over some new Apple customers (that wouldn’t jump aboard just because it’s an Apple service).
Despite Hulu’s recent price reduction, I still find more value in Netflix - and they’re rocking Oscar caliber original content… so no concerns with their future (oh and Stranger Things :sunglasses:).
The streaming realm has been growing with the help of Disney and now Apple. Time will tell if these services can maintain appeal (starting with a good experience sans buffering issues). If the future of Elon Musk’s satellite Wi-Fi service actually works out, or 5G+ services force the hands of current cable options, buffering will be the victim and we’ll all win. :grin:

2 Likes

Wow, @downwithvivid that’s a well done analysis bro!. I totally agree, there is already a division of customer base as Android vs IOS fans.
So, it may not be that easy to pull Samsung crowd unless it is a huge success !

1 Like

Even if Apple launches a streaming video service, and even if it’s good, I don’t think it will overthrow Netflix - or even Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and others, for that matter. Apple Music has been around for a while and Spotify is still strong - mainly because it has a better interface and algorithm. We will all be offered the usual free trial, but I would wait until the content is really there to even start it.

Honestly, I don’t even think video streaming will pay off for Apple, specially if they try to launch their own like that. I’ve read somewhere that analysts suggested Apple just buying Netflix would be advantageous for both companies.

2 Likes

I don’t think Netflix has anything to worry about with this. More players in the streaming market is a winner for the consumer as they’ll be competing against each other and we’ll get the best deals from them.

Hopefully Apple will have more luck with this than they did trying to complete with Amazon as we all know how that turned out for them and the HomePod.

2 Likes

If it’s anything like Apple Music, it will be amazing.

I’m imaging this: For like 25$ a month, you get unlimited access to the iTunes library. If that is so, it will be simply amazing.

They did it for music, video streaming is next!

2 Likes

Yes, that would be amazing and I would be totally up for that. Alas, that’s not what’s being announced. It will most likely be a exclusive-content-only service.

I recently canceled my Netflix subscription. I’ve found that in the last year or so, they’ve raised their prices but yet there wasn’t much box office movies available to stream. It seemed that they were more into their own “Netflix Originals.” I went from renting their dvds, until they did the price increase… to doing their streaming service. And yet, another price increase. I’ve been streaming from Amazon Prime. Besides that, there are many things to watch on Youtube. It will be interesting to see how Apple’s streaming service goes… price and contents. I’m already streaming contents thru my AppleTV so I’m down for their streaming service too…IF… it’s reasonably priced.

1 Like

I been with Netflix from the start, only recently did I have to pay the price increase as I was grandfathered in. We all watch it so I keep it even if not a lot of the newer stuff is on it. We don’t mind watching older flicks because it’s what we grew up on.

I feel like the quality of the content has gone down. Than again, that’s based purely off the kind of stuff I watch. I have both Netflix and Hulu. Also, amazon prime.

I’m also interested in what will be up with the Disney streaming service. I’m interested because I’m a big Star Wars fan, and there will be a lot of original content and stuff exclusive to the Disney streaming service.

Naw! Netflix is king of this realm. I too have Prime Video and Hulu, those are good but not as good as Netflix! I love that you can download shows straight to your device for watching later. This is a big plus for me because of my travels! So far it will let me download all the way to my last remaining byte on my SSD!

3 Likes

It will never compete against Netflix. Perhaps against Hulu/Prime… not even that. As another user mentioned, it’s like Apple Music vs Spotify

I like netflix, but aside from their own content they have dwindled their offerings to saturday matinee junk so I am on the fence. Their shows and movies (some good and some not) plus 3 to 4 movies a month for $13 is starting to get a little excessive. If I see another, or if they dwindle too many morw offerings I would be done. Hulu was known for tv yet that seems to be netflix’s direction.

Right now the more companies in the business the better, that means they can’t raise their prices too much because the customer might go to a different company. Besides competition between companies is good since they try to come up with better deals and service.

Now, I don’t see Apple stealing a lot of customers from the video streaming service alone, but like @Anjou1888 said, if they bundle it with their Apple music, then they will gain a lot more customers than I care to admit.

If they bundle both services and the pricing is not bad, I’ll definitely try it out :+1:

It is a very crowded market already.

I mean I get Netflix for free on back of T-Mobile family plan, Prime Video “for free” on back of avoiding postal costs on Amazon Prime, BBC is free. We stopped paying Hulu once we get nearly the same content on the other services.

So why would you pay Apple for anything?

I would expect Apple would have to make it free service for iPhone users as a reason to buy iPhone. Otherwise you’re basically twice.

1 Like

I hope this will be the move :thinking: that will increase Apple fanbase a lil bit and they enjoy the extra benefits being with Apple

Whatever gets announced, hope Apple doesn’t kill the mood by it’s Sky-High price, there is already a lot of prices going up, latest bring DirecTV going up…

Also, they should not tie it down to Apple TV or iDevices… And open it to Roku, FireTV, Smart TVs

Just on my phone right now, I have 141GB of downloaded offline media I have never had the time to watch. I may burn through say an hour a day on average of media which is not current affairs, but more free media is created faster than I have the care or time to watch.

For example the “Designated Survivor” series, I downloaded all of both series 1 and 2, and only into about the 3rd episode of series 2 after about 3 months of having it on my tablet to watch in quiet times (on flights, hotels, wet weekends, etc).

My phone has 256GB of storage, my 10.8" tablet is about 192GB, my 8" tablet about the same 192GB, my Chromebook 128GB, I have a 1TB harddrive on my Raspberry Pi equivalent.

It’s a crowded market. Price increases just will not work.

There is a fixed quantity of people, they have a fixed amount of time to consume media. Saturation. The only thing you can do is lower quality by adding quantity.

2 Likes

I have 2 TB of media and increasing, movies, photos, songs, all loaded on Raspi with Plex and can stream anywhere from internet. But I feel watching online is easier than downloading media.

Initially cord cutting was good for saving $$$, may be this was true for 4-5 years ago. Now there is no benefit with cord cutting, I just tripped my 1 TB limit of internet with Xfinity last month… With Netflix, Hulu and Youtube,.

Cable and Internet bundles may make more sense in coming days…

1 Like

Amazing, you reached 1 TB limit? Probably due to streaming or continuous downloading of the media content.
But honestly, I am getting to a point where my time allocation to watch any media is reduced and hardly few hours a week now.
I am waiting for those days I can just sit back and do nothing but watch movies or play games etc.,