Switching from iPhone to Android?

I also had no considered the bloatware. apple does keep that in check, though they have their own bloaty stuff that comes pre-installed. I think stating at iOS 9 you can uninstall those bloaty apps, though. I remember that update very well. i was excited to remove all the crap I’d hidden in a folder at the back of my apps screens.

I know. I was trying to think of reasons LCD would still be superior.

LCD will be old news soon. Especially if people continue wanting better and better battery life.

Do you have a good shot you’ve taken with that camera to share?

Geez maybe I’ll wait for this:

1 Like

Ocean Depth color is :ok_hand:

1 Like

Finding an Android is not a problem anymore. I can sign into my google account from any computer in the world and type find my device in the search bar and bingo. find my Android

2 Likes

Highly phone dependent, some have no bloatware, some allow you to use custom ROM with no apps and you install just what you want. Matters more as phone ages so you can shrink quantity of apps as apps get bigger to life extend older phones.

And with the Android Wear you can find your phone. I configure my AW to have one button for Android Pay other as flashlight but you can make a button to find your phone.

My AW is a fully standalone phone on my wrist for when I dont want a phone on my hand or pocket like dog walking or biking.

1 Like

OK, everyone, I bit the bullet and got the Moto Z2 Force Edition. First Impression:

BATTERY LIFE IS AWFUL. Without the power saver on, the phone estimated it had 5 hours of battery life at full. It’s amazing how the z2 force can have over 1000 more mAh than iPhone and suck it all down so quickly. I haven’t done exhaustive testing here, but on first impression the battery life leaves a lot to be desired.

BLOATWARE GALORE. I literally can’t uninstall NFL mobile, among others. I understand if the carrier needs a servicing app or something, but many of the apps that came installed (62 in all) are useless from any perspective. I know this is a Verizon issue but I had to vent somewhere.

WIDGETS ARE COOL: iPhone has nothing like them. I really like being able to see cal, mail, and messages alll ont he same screen.

MOTO MOTIONS ARE FUN: You can open the camera with a twist and turn on the flashlight with a chop. I am, however, waiting for the day when someone accidentally chops their friend in the dark trying to turn on their phone.

ONE BUTTON NAV WORKS: I think this is just a Moto feature, but you can turn off the nav at the bottom of the screen and use the fingerprint sensor to navigate. Tap for home, swipe left for “previous”, and swipe right for all apps.

CLEAR ALL: I like being able to clear all apps at once - I’m not aware the iPhone does this.

CAMERA IS NOT GOOD: i thought the dual sensor camera might be good, but the Bokeh effect looks very artificial and the shutter speed is ridiculously long, resulting in blurry pictures. Maybe they can fix it with a software update?

Overall, I’m still kinda unsure about it. I’m going to give it a week and let myself get used to the interface before returning it. I would like to wait for the free moto mod projector, but I may not last that long (it ships in 4-6 weeks).

1 Like

Hey @ryandhazen Couple tips for you. Widgets can be a drain on battery so choose careful and don’t use more than what you need…It’s the kid in the candy store effect at first that gets you.

Try a different camera app. I tried a few including Google camera and some I hated. Personal preference. I noticed some speed differences with the diff camera apps

As far as the bloatware, The apps that you do not use and can’t uninstall can probably be disabled.
Try …Pulldown menu> settings> apps> click the app you don’t like and then select disable

2 Likes

I never recommended that specific Android phone.

Samsung S8+ or Note 8 I made the switch to a larger screen a few years ago and will never go back. I rarely pick up my tablet, phones are way more comfortable in your hand. Having a larger screen is always a good thing. Plus, they look insane😲

Take it back you’ll never be happy with that phone. I don’t know what your budget is but try to purchase directly from the manufacturer to avoid bloatware. Get a Samsung you’ll be very happy I promise The higher-end models are built like tanks have the curves of Jessica Rabbit have every feature the fastest chips best Screens should I go on?

2 Likes

I never said you did :slight_smile: It’s just the one I wound up choosing.

Ha! I love it.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to do this. The one thing I like about the built-in Moto app is the editor. I think I can probably use both. I’m also in the market for a good music app if you know if one.

Full disclosure, this was an estimate after I had been using it constantly for about 30 minutes right after the charge ended. After letting it rest and turning on power saver (with little noticeable difference in brightness or function), the estimate readjusted to a peak of 13 hours.

I didn’t realize the battery life app readjusted based on previous usage and predicted use. That’s really freaking cool. iPhone has nothing like that.

2 Likes

yes you can use both. I have three camera apps installed. I use google play music but to be honest I haven’t tried many music apps. I really like “EQ custom” equalizer as it makes most headsets sound so much better and you can tweak to the listeners preference. Most apps are free but have some annoying adds. If you want to get rid of the adds you can pay a couple bucks for the pro version. Definitely worth paying if you use the app a lot.

Google Music responses to Google Now voice commands has everything includes YouTube Red which lets you play YouTube without commercials. you can also make YouTube playlists and play them when your screen is off. For $10 a month it’s a steal.

1 Like