Switching from iPhone to Android?

To avoid paying for Youtube Red (to block ads) use Chrome browser, unlock bootloader, root, and use Adaway. Then browser blocks ads including for Youtube just like Chrome plugins block youtube ads on a Chromebook / Linux / windows.

1 Like

But that doesnā€™t enable background play. You have to pay for YouTube Red/Google Music but it does enable background play. Then you can use voice commands like (Play such-and-such YouTube video) or (play whatever artist) also most users do not root their phones.

Update:

Two years later, I am very happy with the switch from iPhone to Android. I still use a mac desktop, but Iā€™ve given up the macbook for a chromebook. I use Google drive and Google photos for cloud storage, which is VASTLY superior to iCloud and is still accessible on my mac devices. As for music, I stream music via prime but still buy physical albums and rip them to a microSD card, which I then put in my android phone. Much better for off-grid use and data fees.

My recommendation to anyone considering the switch: DO IT! Android is much better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Also update: I did switch from Moto to galaxy s9+ recently. The Moto got crashy after about a year, but I did like the vastly smaller form factor in the z2 force edition. However, Samsung interfaces with the micro SD card much more quickly and is generally snappier. It is MUCH heavier, though, and I really dislike the curved edges :frowning: They are so hard to hold onto.

I have an iPhone 6 and I had to change the battery 2years after buying the phoneā€¦ was considering swapping with an s8 but I then left it as i thought that it would be wasteful of my moneyā€¦Apple makes their phones only last less than 2 years so they people buy new ones which means they get more profit/salesā€¦ and downloading new software on iOS slows the phone down considerablyā€¦

Iā€™m currently rocking that S9+, I use to use the Motorola Moto X Pureā€¦ The second version. I loved that phone but It got screwed up after a software update, I use Verizon via straight talk and after the software update it disabled the bands that I needed for Verizon. So I was forced to upgrade, and while I like the s9+ I would much rather still use my Moto x pure.

1 Like

What I like with ANDROID, its UNIX-based like LINUX.
So data swapping is easy.

I was using MAC-OS in the past, caused by my job at the university.
All worked fine, but now retired : back to my old roots.

I was working with all kind of OS, psssst : All are buggy and badā€¦ :joy:

Thatā€™s my favorite part about Android. You plug it in, and it becomes a hard drive!

Also, the charging speeds on Android are far better than iPhone. Anker products almost always work better with Android.

1 Like

Android is not a function of screen size. So you can have a 11" phone, from a network perspective so no separate data line plan. I have 3 phones. A watch with a 1.4" screen, a phone with a 6.2" screen, and a tablet with 10.8" screen, all on phone network.

Seeing as you are singing Android, I will balance with the downsides.

If you buy an unpopular / cheap phone, then you will stop getting updates after a year or so and so stop getting security updates a little after. In Android as it is the vendor to do updates, you risk a phone a little over a year old on a version of Android of known security vulnerabilities. Apple will do updates a lot longer.

The Android workaround for that is just pick popular Android devices which release their kernel sources with unlockable bootloaders and let the open source community then take over. I have devices from 2012 still going strong via that method.

So if going Android, just go for popularity, by quantity, in forums. OnePlus is winning that currently.

Typed on a Chromebook.

No more Itunes needed! :smiley:

1 Like