Super Fast Charge Vs. Fast Charge Portable Chargers

Hi All! I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Z3 Fold 5G, (& just prior had a Note 20 just the same), that in order to get optimum charging capability, requires a super fast charger, not just a fast charger. Looking through Anker’s highest capacity portable chargers, I noticed that they all simply say fast charge, never designating that any of them are particularly capable of super fast charging. Does anyone know if any of them are capable of super fast charging & if so, which model. (Keep in mind I’m looking for one with a super-high capacity-i.e. can charge up to 3 or more devices simultaneously and can charge my phone up to 3 or 4 times on one charge, etc.) Please list model # if possible. Thank You!!

3 Likes

Hi @e_burke87
What you’re looking out for is a a PPS/PDO compatible charger.
I have the S20+ and have done a little research and contacted Anker direct.
Unfortunately Anker doesn’t cater much for this protocol.
There is a 65w and multiport charger which states PPS but are both too expensive for me to try.

Ultimately, superfast charging time compared to fast charging isn’t massively different (not to me anyway) and I mainly wirelessly charge my phone - office, car and home so am always running close to 100%.

I carry a medium capacity PowerCore for emergencies, if I’m unexpectedly away from a power source for any period of time.

2 Likes

This is the unit Anker support recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088TNQYJQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_PQ1PXTKMKNPA5ZX89A6H

1 Like

Welcome back!

You have an excellent reply from @paulstevenewing already.

I can understand a need for the fastest possible charging for a charger, as you want to be tied to the wall socket the shortest time.

But I never understand the same need in a portable charger as it is always with you. The phone battery last hours, a lower cost portable charger recharges phone an hour or so, so trying to do better is saving a few minutes. The portable charger is with you the whole time so simply plug it in a few minutes earlier and save your money.

Trickle charge which is nearly half your recharge time, is not using all the Wattage anyway, the “super” fast part is purely going to help the first half of the charge from empty, it wont help getting from say 70% to full any faster. So as the portable charger is with you, don’t let the phone get so empty you need to recharge it fast. Simple and cheaper.

A sweetspot with Anker right now is 20W Power Delivery port. You can get that and a 10W port for a reasonable price in a reliable product.

Two products come to mind, one to meet your fastest charge and another to meet your many recharges and 3 things at once.

I pick USA links as you appear to be in USA

This would give 15W to any port or max 30W across 2 or 3 ports.

I have this and I keep it charged at home but don’t take it out with me as it’s quite a weight. I prefer the model below.

This gives 20W to one port, you can use both ports but then the total drops to a lower number (guessing from memory around 15W). I use this one regularly, I use the one port until my phone is at least 70% full then plug in a 2nd thing to recharge like headphones or flashlight as the phone isn’t needing more than 10W anyway past 70% so the remaining 5W does something useful in parallel.

I am traveling for a week right now. I have with me:

• OnePlus phone, it can’t use more than 10W unless I carry it’s own charger. I’m happy with 10W as I don’t need a fast recharge. See below.
  • A Huawei 10.8" tablet, it does need 18W at least as bigger screen drains faster.
  • The 20000 PD above.
  • A single port 18W Nano charger.
  • Two headphones
  • A flashlight

I keep the 20000 PD plugged into something all the time all day, typically my tablet, but sometimes phone, buds, flashlight.

I then recharge the 20000 PD when I’m moving around as all my gadgets are charged.

Works. Cheap. Simple.

Note prices are silly high right now. My 20000 PD cost me £25 a year ago, I see these current prices and think everyone should make do with what they have til prices go down. But if can’t wait, I’d certainly not pay extra $$$ for speed or features in a portable charger, pick the lowest cost and plug in earlier / often in lieu of speed.

4 Likes

I don’t think Anker has a Super fast portable charger compatible with Samsung’s charging protocols

4 Likes

Anker actually has several. The top 8 on this list: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=anker+pps+charger&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Single port for $20: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Charging-Samsung-Included/dp/B08XQRCPG4/

But their a bit overpriced compared to others with multi-ports. I use Super Fast Chargers only. They do make a difference with my Samsung S21 phone.

Yes they do now make a few PPS PDO chargers.

They don’t yet, unless we missed something, make PPS PDO portable chargers. I’ve argued above they don’t really need to.

1 Like

I hope those links helps other needing such chargers :+1:
I don’t have any Super Fast Chargers (45w) but I have about 6 25w chargers lol. But I mostly use 18w chargers :man_facepalming: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

My Android OnePlus6 phone is by today’s standards ancient, it is as bad as Apple’s fastest charge of 18W but I only use it’s 18W supplied proprietary charger at home to do fastest charge before leaving home, but when I travel its with a Nano which on this phone is only 10W because I always have a Powercore and my phone can charge at 10W just fine connected when I’m not moving with phone in hand/pocket.

It’s really a non-issue.

Yes I’d get the fastest charger for my next phone to make use of time at home but I don’t see me moving from Nano+Powercore 18W anytime soon.

It’s when my larger tablet dies and I get replacement (most likely a Chromebook) I’d be hunting for fastest chargers for it.

1 Like

How good is the battery life? Since it’s a couple of years old by now.
If I end up keeping my Note for the next year I’ll probably look into replacing the battery if it’s not that expensive

Surprisingly, not too bad. But I mostly use it as just a phone. 3yr ago I got a 10.8 Android tablet (with LTE) and 2.5yr a 8.4" Android LTE tablet, and I use those when I need a bigger screen when moving. So I’ve spread the load around more batteries.

One trick I’ve used is proactive charging. Instead of draining battery then charging then discharging/charge/discharge/etc. I charge and keep connected. My phone battery has less deep cycles and less cycles total to making use of Powercore over phone’s life.

I strongly suspect one reason phones have sealed batteries and fast chargers is to force a gullible owner to drain battery to near empty to then recharge fast, to wear the battery out faster so they then buy another $1000+ phone in 2 years. A quiet way to extract a few hundred $ from owners.

I also got a smartwatch, and if I’m biking or walking and no intention of using phone, it’s in the bag connected to Powercore (most efficient, best use of Powercore and removes some power cycles from phone) and glance at watch if there’s a notification.

Phones have got silly priced.

Hmm that might be a good way to keep good battery help. I usually charge it whenever possible. I used to let it drain to almost zero but lately I charge it whenever possible regardless of the battery percentage.

And yes I agree with you on phone prices. I wouldn’t even mind the price if they kept features instead of taking them away

1 Like

Correct, Anker doesn’t make portable PPS power bank chargers. I went on a 1 week trip last week, where I would be on the go daily and bought one from a competitor.

Fair enough if you want one, Anker doesn’t make one, go with competitor.

I just don’t want one as when I look at the cost consequence I’d prefer to save money and plug in a slower Powercore earlier.

I also have two other reasons which probably in personal anecdotes is looking valid.

When you run a phone to near flat then charge you use a full charge cycle of a phone battery which has typically 300-500 charge cycles capability. If instead when I’m on a long busy day, I try to keep a Powercore connected as much as practical, so my phone is basically full all the time the Powercore is bypassing, sidestepping, a need to recharge the phone. So fewer charge cycles on average.

Recharging a phone causes heat, heat which ages cells faster, so the above proactive keep-charged avoids that as the heat generated more often is just the non-charging part of the phone, not charging + non-charging.

My anecdote is my OnePlus 6 from May 2018 (so 3.5 years old) I have used the above method (where practical) and it has still good battery life. Some days it’s not practical for me to keep a Powercore connected so I’m experiencing it’s battery life and it isn’t too bad.

I am happy with my 3.5 year old phone and a new one costs around £700 when my 3.5 year old phone cost me £450.

So avoiding fast charging situations has helped save me phone money.

Fully accept different contexts calls for different decisions but these are mine.

I usually walk or bike. Now in (approaching) winter walking I have phone in one side of jacket and a small Powercore in other pocket to balance up jacket weight, and when I stop moving or use the phone in hand, I plug in the Powercore so I’m usually around 85%-100% charged and use less charge cycles. When biking the phone is in a bag connected to Powercore so phone is nearly all day at 100%, using even less charge cycles.

Hi,
Is the situation still the same?
I have an Anker battery quickcharge 3 compliant and I’m very happy with in combination with my Samsung s9+.
But I just bought a new one , the samsung s22 ultra.
Now I’m looking for a charger that can deliver power as fast as possible to the phone.
The only thing I can see at Samsung’s site is that this phone is PowerDelivery 3.0 compliant.
What about Anker batteries?

@e_burke87 @Piet_De_Booser
It’s been a few months since my last reply, but I can attest the the PowerCore 10000 Redux does Super Fast Charging from the USB-C port. It supports PPS, as I see the Super Fast Charging notification when charging my Samsung S21 phone. This will be my carry everywhere power bank.

It’s nicely sized as well. Looks smaller than it does in Anker’s product photos at 10000mAh.
Comes with a convenient Type C to Type C cable with attached USB-A adapter and soft case.

I don’t have Samsung phone nor this powerbank but I can look up specs.

“USB-C PPS Output:3.3-6V ⎓ 3A / 3.3-11V ⎓ 2.78A(25W Max)”

Superfast is 25W, Superfast 2.0 is 45W

Anker does sell PD chargers >25W but not sure what Samsung would do with it.

Phones are really expensive now so I’m waiting for my 4 year old phone to break first, there’s a good chance my next phone will be Samsung. I have a decent older phone as backup I can use for the week-ish while I select and wait for delivery.

But I still don’t see a need to pay extra for speed, the mentioned 10000 model seems at time of writing a steep price.

For me, it’s needed. I am on photo shoots outdoors and like my phone to be topped off when needed. It charges my Samsung S21 at 25W and I’m happy with that.

I got mine with a $10 off coupon and it has replaced my previous 10000mAh power banks.

I don’t have this model but the predecessor. Back when we could get these types of things at more reasonable prices.

I got mine for $39.99 (less than yours). I mentioned it was $10 off w/a coupon.

But as you know, everything has gone up. The point is I’m mentioning to the OP @e_burke87 that this power bank provides Super Fast Charging, although it won’t charge 3 devices simultaneously as he requested.

1 Like