Suggestion for a new laptop

Very true indeed.

2 Likes

depends on the actual i9 processor config / build, i just got a thinkpad (thinkpad x1) with the config, not seeing any issues so far

1 Like

Hi @Shivam_Shah
I recently had a HDD start to misbehave and replaced it with a SSD.
Got a deal on amazon.co.uk on a Samsung 1tb unit.
It came with (online) free software to clone my old HDD.
It literally transformed the laptop, startup time is 15-20 seconds.

Ultimately you’ll be driven by budget, but if your laptop is a reasonable spec stick with it and replace the drive.
If its getting a bit “clunky” cut your loses and get a a new machine with as bigger SSD as you can.
Or, get one with a small inbuilt SSD and buy and large external SSD for media etc

Let us know which way you go mate.

3 Likes

It’s really important to consider screen brightness as well. I know your budget is tight but I also know that you don’t want to spend money every few years replacing your laptop.

Also the newer generation of stuff is starting to come out such as nvme hard drives that take up less space and use less power AMD ryzen processors that sip power and are just as fast as Intel.

I would check out Asus if I were you but grab the XPS if screen brightness is really important to you.

1 Like

I found this (German only) translator needed.
But mostly those “reviews” are pure payed propaganda.
I never trust!

1 Like

Exactly something I don’t want to do. Great suggestions so far and will respond more after my class ends. Will also have to see how to upgrade my current laptop because I’m not that great with all this DIY stuff :joy:

1 Like

I’ll be glad to help you with upgrading. Have been doing it for almost 20 yrs now. Its really easy, once you overcome initial hesitation it will be a piece of cake :slight_smile:
Your current laptop specs (model number can help) and some pictures of internals will be sufficient to provide ideas.

2 Likes

LINUX! Will help you out of this crux!

The biggest fear is always getting started but once past that it gets easier

2 Likes

I am engineer, not CS. But I do lots of virtulization, so extra RAM is helpful. I would generally recommend 16 for almost anyone; it will make a difference for most use cases. More than that won’t unless you have a specific need.

My first SSD conversion was 64GB, and I have been through all the steps up to my current 1TB SSD. 256 is manageable as long as you have a second internal hard drive in the computer (usually a cheaper HDD, either in a desktop or larger laptop). If it was my only internal hard drive, I wouldn’t go less than 512 personally. How tight that feels will again depend on what you do with it - VM images get large, so I can use as much space as I have.

Some laptops are easy to upgrade yourself, some aren’t. Make sure you know which you are getting if planning to make changes yourself. The cool ultralights are almost always in the hard category. Typically if you choose 8GBs from the factory, that will be 2 4GB sticks, or you can pay a little extra to get it as a single 8, which then makes expansion easier.

Edited to add: I hadn’t read the whole thread first. Replacing a failing HDD with an SSD is easy, and can add a lot of life to a laptop. That would definitely be my first choice as a student trying to bridge the gap for the last year or two. I have done it several times.

Linux is very easy to use these days, but that is a personal choice if you are interested. There will be a learning curve even if it isn’t that bad anymore.

3 Likes

Personally I suggest anyone who buys a laptop to buy a gaming laptop. They generally have better specs and are meant to last, where as budget dell xps and basic laptops from other companies end up failing in the long run. Whatever you decide, make sure that the ram is upgradable and not soldered to the motherboard, make sure it can utilize nvme hard drives as they are faster and use less space, and also make sure your computer has a separate dedicated graphics card.

2 Likes

What kind of engineer are you if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

Electrical. I work in manufacturing automation.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about laptops but I would suggest getting one with 512GB ssd.
Good luck buying the right laptop, let us know which one you end up getting bro :+1:

1 Like

I watched my friend use LINUX on his Macbook Air and I was very confused :joy:. Definitely not something for now but maybe down the line once I get to know more

There is really nothing confusing.
It takes a while but if you are close to it you will like that.
Use an elder laptop and install it.
There is a dual boot option, so you may use WIN by switch.

1 Like

Linux was always my achilles heel until I got used to it. A lot of my clients use exalytics hosts as well as some who use OEL6, so I had to learn it just to make sure I could keep up with it and not have to constantly bug colleagues for asssitance. Udemy and a lot of other sites online have a bunch of free Linux tutorials that help a lot of people out, plus getting certed out in for Linux+, GCUX and LPI add a nice touch to a resume.

2 Likes

Yea not very focused on that if they will end up running hot (lack of proper thermals) and my laptop is already heavy which I’m used to :joy:

Yea saw a couple like that as well. Also, general question to everyone, can a laptop run on any SSD? Like should I look at specific stuff that my laptop is compatible with before buying a SSD? Same question for RAM as well. My laptop is upgradable up to 16GB of ram and is currently at 6GB (1x2GB and 1x4GB sticks)

1 Like

When starting with LINUX (SUSE) it was a catastrophe!
But now its useable.
And I like to use my old devices.
I am not a slave of the market!

1 Like

Thanks for that. Am really inclined to that now but probably not during the semester. I’m using my dad’s laptop for the moment and should be fine with it for this semester. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 (5559) that I bought in 2016