Samsung Galaxy S8 Fast Charging Issue w. Multiple Anker QC Devices

Creating a new post to determine if anyone else is having issues with their new Galaxy S8 / S8+ phones not rapid charging with select Anker QC products? My results have been mixed. The following success / non-success was attempted with various USB cables, including the original Samsung cable that shipped with the phone.

The following Anker products that I own work with the S8 to provide fast charging:

• Anker PowerPort Speed 2 QC 3.0
  • Anker PowerPort Qi 10 wireless charger
  • Anker PowerPort +1 QC 2.0

The following Anker products that I own will not fast charge the S8, only providing slow charging:

• Anker PowerCore+ 26800 battery pack with QC
  • Anker 2.0 36W Dual USB Car Charger, PowerDrive+ 2
  • Anker QC 2.0 24W USB Car Charger, PowerDrive+ 1

Appreciate anyone who can weigh-in!

1 Like

Very interesting… Sometimes certain phones just won’t be compatible, but I’m not sure. @nigelhealy What are your thoughts?

I JUST SAW A VIDEO. After the Note7 incident, Samsung being extra cautious. Be sure to check all chargers while the phone is not in use.

I am not a fan of QC personally, i know how it works, it relies on the fact that a low charge battery can ingest energy faster, and QC does that via upping the Amps to the battery and to reduce the power loss through the cable it does that via ingesting more voltage and lower amps then steps that to lower voltage and higher ampage. The problem with this method is heat, because efficiency is worsened by the size of the step. That heat has to go somewhere. In the case of QC that heat is significantly dumped into the phone itself so that accelerates phone aging.

In the case of a phone, the advantage of QC is when your phone is of low charge, QC will add energy faster than non-QC, that means you’ve spent hours away from a wall socket, then in a brief time near a wall socket you can ingest energy faster and get a nearly flat battery to a reasonable charge. To be in that situation meant you spent hours away from any type of power. I never get into that situation in the 1st place. I proactively keep my phone as near full as possible, to allow for the worst case scenario of not being able to get to a powered wall socket to not be my problem. For example, a power outage would totally destroy the whole argument of QC.

In the case of portable powerbanks, the premise of QC necessarily causes the powerbank to be both larger and higher cost, so you’re actually lugging more weight and paying for the privilige of that situation you deliberately caused of waiting til your device was nearly flat to then recharge it. So you’re paying for a con.

Far better in my view is you pick a phone which simply has a bigger battery, mine has 3400mAh, and if you are a long time from wall sockets to proactively plug in a powerbank. That then means your phone is always maximum prepared for the worst case scenario. That emptied powerbank can then be recharged when near a wall socket, and it will recharge faster the emptier it is - without QC just down to the fast all batteries slow their recharge >85% and QC has no advantage til a battery is near 0% anyway.

If I’m lugging energy, I want efficient conversion, and I have a view that QC must necessarily be less efficient. As I do not own any QC, i don’t know if its true.

My views are entirely theoretical and I could easily be wrong and would happily retract if anyone provided evidence. I cannot find any conversion efficiency or any metered reports to know if I’m correct or false.

I just spent some days on a business trip and I do my usual thing of packing minimalist, I packed my phone’s charger (OnePlus3T and its DASH charger) and an Aukey 12W for my non-phone devices (Anker Slim earbuds and Anker 10000mah Powercore and my smartwatch). If I had a QC device and went all-in QC, then my phone would be more expensive, my charger would be larger, and my portable powerbank would be both larger and more expensive. You see my point?