Review - Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger

I received the free Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger for participating and being one of the winners in Anker’s Community contest, We Love Testing. This new charger is the third Anker wireless charger in my mobile device charging toolbox. So far this is may favorite charger and I use it daily. Below you will find this review as a summary to the full review with more pictures can be found on my personal site under reviews - Review: Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger

First Impressions

The Charger comes in Anker’s standard White and Blue Box. The packaging is easy opening and only the twist ties and the plastic protective sleeve over the cradle is the only thing not recyclable.

The Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger does not come with a wall charger and not just any wall charger will charge your phone at the fastest speed possible. All it comes with a premium quallity 4 foot micro USB cable.

The Cradle is made well and looks nice. It gives off a modern look with matte black plastic outer shell with small blue status light. At the back side of the edge on the base you will find the power port. The bottom of the base has a non slick rubber bottom that sticks to the desk surface.

Charging

During the testing process I used the provided micro-USB cable and a Anker PowerPort +1 18w Wall Charger to power the Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger. I believe this wall charger is one of the recommended chargers for the cradle.

With the right wall charger the cradle can charge my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 from 20% to 100% with Fast Charge in two hours and sixteen minutes. This is consistent with my other fast charging wireless charging pads. I also have no difficulties charging with a my UAG Monarch Case or without a case. Either way it charges at the same speed. Results may vary with other cases.

When charging, I found no issues with the cradle heating up or my device to hot to touch. It does get warm. But a slight warmness is normal with wireless charging.

The cradle can charge in portrait and horizontal views. I didn’t find a differences in charge times. You can even watch a movie or videos while charging. The charging time does slow down.

Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger VS The Anker PowerWave II Pad Wireless Charger Pad VS Anker PowerWave 7.5W Fast Wireless Charging Pad

As I mentioned before, I own two other Anker Wireless Charger and I want to briefly share my thoughts between all three. At some point I will create an article that list all of Anker’s Wireless Chargers. But here’s the basic information about how these other two wireless chargers stack up against the Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger. To see my current findings check out the complete review.

I setup the 3 chargers next to each other using the supplied power supply for the PowerWave II Pad and and the Anker PowerPort +1 18w Wall Charger for both the PowerWave Stand and the PowerWave 7.5W and just switched the cable to the charging device I needed. For these tests I used real life testing since I do not have any software or meters that measures the charging process.

My end results show that all three chargers charging my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with UAG case all have the same average estimated time of completion. So in my opinion and my setup its all about preferred style and needs. For me it comes down to PowerWave Stand as the winner. Its the most useful for my needs and looks the best.

Final Thoughts

The Anker PowerWave Stand 10W Max Stand Wireless Charger is my new go to wireless charger. I have it set up on the TV stand in the living room and when I’m not using my phone it lives on that charger. I’m currently reorganizing my office area and the computer layout out. Once I have it setup, I’ll be moving that charger to my office desk.

7 Likes

Perfect as usual! Nothing to add! Thank you!

Please note that once you get to 85% charge, most devices significantly drop their Wattage input to not fry the internal cells.

So you’d therefore expect lower Wattage wireless chargers to perform identically at nearly fully charged devices.

This will change through later 2020 into 2021 as Graphene cells get into phones.

I agree. I forgot about the 85% wattage drop when writing up the review and running these tests. I did run some more test earlier today. I started my test at 49% estimated times are the same. I’m planning to test at 20% tomorrow and update the review with those results.

As to Graphene, what are you expecting to see? I haven’t got much experience with Graphene.

The Qi standards allow for a quoted Wattage to be the sum of each coil, even though one coil at a time is used, so some are being caught out by a 15W Qi charger being 3 5W coils, they gain placement forgiveness but lose peak.

Anker in this product has 2 coils which is why you can charge in portrait and landscape, and each is 10W and that is what is quoted.

Wireless is incredibly inefficient and why you needed 18W to make 10W out. That was what caused the Samsung Quick Charge charger as at the time it was the only thing which could do 18W.

The lower % charging performance will be extremely device, conditions, and use dependent. As such it will be probably unique to you, at that time and your phone. As wireless is inefficient,it causes heat, which in devices triggers thermal throttling. That thermal throttling is a function of whatever else your phone is doing at the time. So a phone which is off will give a different result to a phone on, and two different phones with different background processes, will cause different results. And even the measuring of the performance, will cause different results as the act of pressing the phone’s screen or buttons will modify the results.

Wireless charging is about the convenience, put down, pick up. Benchmarks are going to be of very erratic quality.

Graphene, it reduces within the phone the heat from pushing a cell to capacity, so less thermal throttling, it will make both a near linear charging and faster charging. The current virus outbreak has added 3+ months to the rollout but it is coming. I cannot predict the impact on wireless charging, I see conflicting outcomes, it’s going to be an unpredictable game changer. On the one hand it will make wireless look relatively awful, but on the other hand it removes one of the throttles on wireless. Both wired and wireless charging will improve. It could also be the death of Anker in charging.

As long as ANKER doesn’t focus on wireless only and still keep wired charging in product line its OK.

I can’t predict this one. Graphene will do at least 3 things:

• it will make wired into phones 100W viable. So 0%-100% in a few minutes. So think 100W USB-PD which is rare today, trickle down from only intended for laptops into viable to charge to phones. That will add wired opportunities but also drain all the others like wireless and portable chargers. So wired gets much better, so comparatively wireless looks bad. There are 3 causes of heat in a phone, the cells, the chipset and the DC-DC conversion from charger to cells. Each fights the other, Graphene removes the 1st category. To stop phones exploding and killing people, has been the defining limit of phone designs for years.

• it will remove one of the reasons wireless has to be slow.

• be too fast a change in performance for standards to keep up. Anker sits in that standards - to-be standards space (IQ, IQ2, IQ3) where it requires the phone designers to be sufficiently slow and common it find a niche in offering similar/better for lower cost. It could thus get ejected from the market.

All I can see right now is reviews of 10W wireless chargers need reviews based on knowing the temperature of phones and all the inputs before it forms any conclusion.

You are[quote=“Chiquinho, post:8, topic:81628”]
Graphene : The toxicity
[/quote]

I doubt it. A common element. It is just a different structure. Lithium is very toxic.

You should not forget one thing.

Graphene : The toxicity and the resulting problems regarding the environment is not known and not really investigated yet. (I was reading this)

Great review and photos @Element321 :+1:t2:

1 Like

Great review and photos! :ok_hand::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thanks for your excellent review!!:+1:

1 Like

Well written, great review @Element321

loved all the pics detailing the powerwave stand

1 Like

Good review and photos and usual @Element321 :clap:

2 Likes

Good review and sentiments exactly. Mine sits on my desk for daily use while working from home and video conferencing :wink:

2 Likes

Very detailed review, good job as always @Element321

3 Likes

Great Review I just purchased the exact same model nice :blush:

4 Likes

You won’t regret it @Imo_Iri

3 Likes

Great review @Element321

3 Likes