PowerPort III Nano Review

IMG_20200703_212046_822

Hey All :wave:t2:

Recently i was one of a lucky few to be picked to test the new UK PowerPort III Nano.
Thanks again @AnkerOfficial

I have a few other Anker chargers but this is a little bit different.

Here’s a short review, but first…

Anker has a great community forum with regular reliable contributors who will lend a helping hand if you have any “real world” questions on products. It’s full of user reviews, product and new release information, product testing opportunities and a section to trade virtual “bucks” earned by forum participation for entries into the Power Draw giving you a chance to win some great prizes. Check it out here;

https://community.anker.com

Anker produces a few chargers in various sizes, outputs and connections so there’s one to suit your requirements.
Don’t believe me? Check out the link below and tell me in the comments what other brands offer that Anker doesn’t;

See, told you they do a few! Onto the Nano…

Brief Spec,
18w PIQ 3 single USBC output.

Unboxing,
Simple packaging in the brands blue and white colour-way.

32CB2DBA-F5AB-4F0D-AA3F-5CB958482A58

A49A673E-1DD0-401F-8E8A-F01E15FA9FB5

It has to be said, the box is excessively large for the size of the product. As a few on this forum has discussed, it lends itself well to a future twin pack!

First Impressions,
Light, VERY light. Small, VERY small, hence the name.
Looks nice, which is good enough.

D469B598-6896-430F-BFFC-06F80D15BF58

BC605077-79D5-4800-9D29-5BCAF8065A49

Here it is next to others in its range with a higher outputs.
PowerPort III Nano,
PowerPort III Mini
PowerPort+ Atom III Dual Port

88E10E4E-CD1C-47EE-88EC-7CB9068001DE

In Use,
No blue light, that both makes me sad and happy.
Sad because that reassuring blue halo of light shows the unit is charging and looks cool. But if in a prominent position it can be disrupting, especially in a bedroom at night.

It runs pretty cool.
In a 45 minute test it started at a room temperature of 24.2 and increased to just 38.8 which is just warm to the touch.

55CFE249-DF7B-4F97-AD18-7ACF3206F212

07F6F01B-985E-4CA3-80D3-3C9E198C3BF1

I finally got round to buying a USBC output tester and the results were great.
Connecting to a 50% charged 10.5” iPad Pro it showed to be outputting slightly over the quoted 18w output. 18.21w is only a little over but at least you can be sure the figures in the marketing blurb are accurate and you’re not being short changed.

D51AA824-D687-4C62-A632-2EBA14B72208

Who Would Use This?
Anyone with devices with up to 18w charging input, obviously!

But also the benefit with this Nano charger is that the charging cable plugs into the bottom rather than the front so this leads itself perfectly to put behind furniture with its very low profile.
Here It’s pictured beside the PowerPort III Mini, which by no means is a large charger. The difference speaks for itself.

2EFDCA61-CF41-4060-AD9E-903DD501ADE6

Pros,
No blue LED
Size and weight
Outputs at manufacturers quoted speeds
Low profile as cable plugs into the bottom so hides behind furniture perfectly.

Cons,
No blue LED

Conclusion,
This a really capable charger.
It’s light very compact and does its job well.
It sits well in the broad range of chargers available.

The next progression I hope to see would be for this product to continue to be low profile but maybe be a little more rectangular and incorporate an additional USBC port.

If you need a single port charger and don’t need a huge output, this is the one for you.

As always, if you have any questions or tests I can perform for you drop me a message and I’ll do my best.

20 Likes

Good reviews and photos! Photos of running temps are a good addition :+1:

1 Like

Loving the temperature images. Is there anything in the house you haven’t checked the temperature of whilst making laser sounds?

3 Likes

Another Great review @paulstevenewing :clap::clap:

Liked the size comparison and temperature checks for PowerPort III Nano :ok_hand::sweat_smile:

I think it is good that there is no blue LED, no cons in this charger :grin:

1 Like

Great review, as always.

I like the temperature check, that’s better than me. :roll_eyes: Handy for testing people down the pub for temperature too. :mask:

We both observed a little more than 18W, that’s good engineering, to allow for a little loss in the cable and still deliver 18W.

I’ve done a summary calculatiion of 30W, assuming the identical efficiency, it would be about quarter inch deeper.

2 Likes

Loved the review! Great pictures that really helped display the size of it

1 Like

Everything, literally everything has been sapped @pfrodsham :rofl:

1 Like

Ok then @Shenoy no cons :sunglasses:

Yes @professor it’s great both our examples performed above the stated output.
Quarter inch would be acceptable in my location.
A dual port 18w would be nice in this size.

HELP!
I’m getting issues trying to upload my review links.
Anyone seen this before?
@AnkerOfficial?
I get this message when I try to submit.

My links are there and shared but I can’t seem to submit.

Just gone back and it seems to have accepted them and listed 3 times each!

1 Like

Thanks @ktkundy appreciate that :+1:t2:

1 Like

Key is to make the 3rd pin transmit excess heat into the wall socket, so basically your wall becomes the heatsink. It’s a trick Anker cannot do in USA but can in UK.

A USB-C 2nd socket is physically smaller than an added USB-A so with some clever engineering a 30-36W dual USB-C about 1/4th inch deeper is certainly viable from an electronics and size perspective. Would make that next product really punch.

1 Like

100% @professor brass conducts heat very well.
I guess it all comes down to cost. That brass pin and maybe a design change to the chassis of the plug maybe holding things back.
I think the plastic pin is just moulded to the chassis so demonstrate need any specific fixings inside keeps the cost down?

I could take an extra quarter inch to have dual 18w USBC.
For my needs that’s an awesome package.

There are materials which are thermally conductive but not electrically conductive. e.g. heatsink paste. But I was only thinking they just put a heat conducting core in that 3rd pin and just attach it to the hottest part (Mosfet usually) in the charger, then the wall becomes the heatsink and would help get 60W chargers behind sofas.

I only mention the 3rd pin as the “green” Earth wire is the thickest to conduct a short-circuit, it is the most under-utilised and most expensive part of a house’s wiring. Put it to use as a heatsink.

No not brass.

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from :+1:t2:
A core surely wouldn’t increase cost significantly. Does such a thing exist already in the domestic market @professor?

Hmmm no, I think I just invented it.

I’m doing a course in semiconductors to the side. It’s raining outside you see.

Anker can send me free stuff in lieu.

But yes, you can see how small things can get, it is really the thermal problem is the last one standing.

The electronics within are all around 96% efficient, so 18W is causing about 2W to come out as heat. In something this small is the last major challenge to be solved. Anker solves in the bigger Watt by physically bigger chargers. Whoever solves this will be $$$$

2 Likes

Patent that then @professor
Sell it in license to the big charger brands and sail off into retirement.

Great review and good job including the temperature of the charger. I’m wary using chargers that get too hot to the touch

2 Likes

Thanks @ikari04warrior have a great weekend mate.

1 Like